Hide
17 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: How is it with 6 players :) ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Ilič
msg tools
I have played with a friends game with 5 two times and i saw 3 player games. They both seem cool and fair also very close. But what about 6 players ? How is it ? How dose it feel to be played is it cool ? Like true opinions and how the battles are and summoning etc. are some clan abilitys weaker ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Klassen
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've played it once with six and I have to say, I'd never do it again. At 5 and 6 you pick so few actions but at least with 5 there is the interesting dynamic of not everyone getting an alliance. I also like the fact that in every other game mode you aren't guaranteed to see battle in every province. Plus if you are playing at all with new players the game length can be oppressive at six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Ilič
msg tools
Ohh ye less actions but if all are in alliance it should balance it out kinda accept if they are not then its worse i guess ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 player games are always a challenge, especially dudes on maps game. Just the time between turns and relative chaos makes them tough to play. We played a 6 player game yesterday, including Kami Unbound and Dynasty Invadin Invasion, with 5 new to the game, but seasoned gamers. With teaching and setup the game took 3.5 hours. The game was a blast, one of the better 6 player games we've played. There were some minor gripes, like the minimal number of actions choices and the Oni of Spite generating huge victory points, but the game was a blast. Combat especially was fun with the seppuku and poets being used a lot! The end high score was 75 (Moon Clan though the recent faq will nerf that some) who got high honor through the kami and won lots of battles and harvests, Bonsai was in second place with 71 or so getting Oni of Spite points then Fox who placed in all the battles and used seppuku and poets to get 58 or so. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
4 hours to complete the game including introduction and explanation. In the end, same few alliances from season to season. We really took allies to a whole new level through deliberate strategising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Ilič
msg tools
Thats cool that its not just there for no reason thanks for the answears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney Johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
This too was our observation for 6 new players ( I was GMing). Sure it was a practice/learning game but the Bonsai clan never got a Marshal Mandate in the first two seasons. It was also the "7th player - determined seat location, action order, starting honor" in terms of turn order so was effectively blocked from decent choices to apply its discount by the time its chance to Recruit came around. And after the end of the Summer season the Bonsai clan had zero victory points. The best it could do was take a 1 coin card for free. In one recruit case the best choice by the time their chance came around was a free card anyway. So at the end of the 2nd Season Bonsai had the lowest honer, no victory points, 1 stronghold and no units on the board. I can't for the life of me figure out how to convince my gaming group that this deserves another go. Yes they were all impressed at the quality and artwork but how to resolve 2 players potentially being locked out of a Marshal for 2 seasons (possibly even all 3)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney Johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Any observations how Bonsai did so well going dead last in a 6 player game for season 1? Did they ally with a clan that Marshaled early? Our Bonsai player ended season 2 with lowest honor, no units, 1 stronghold and zero vp. How did your player pull it off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a 6 player game, the player with the first choice of mandates gets the last choice as well, so that player is likely to be a prime target to ally with. Bonsai needs to be aggressive in offering a good deal to ally with a player who picks early in a season. Despite their low seasonal income, Bonsai can most afford to offer a coin to get an ally, as their strongholds only cost 1 coin, and any card they buy with a Train mandate will cost 1 or zero.

My offer from Bonsai would be something like "I'll give you one coin now to ally with me, and if you play a Marshall action, you can also have the final decision on what mandate I play when it's my turn." This should help attract an alliance with an early player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
6 players is certainly more chaotic and the game can take a bit longer, but it’s still a lot of fun, and this was with 5 first timers.

Certain clans will always be more or less powerful based on player count. Lotus has less leverage cause they play fewer mandates, but Fox will always be able to jump into 6 fights every season if they want. It can definitely change up how negotiations happen, which I personally like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Boyd
msg tools
Dessic wrote:
In a 6 player game, the player with the first choice of mandates gets the last choice as well, so that player is likely to be a prime target to ally with. Bonsai needs to be aggressive in offering a good deal to ally with a player who picks early in a season. Despite their low seasonal income, Bonsai can most afford to offer a coin to get an ally, as their strongholds only cost 1 coin, and any card they buy with a Train mandate will cost 1 or zero.

My offer from Bonsai would be something like "I'll give you one coin now to ally with me, and if you play a Marshall action, you can also have the final decision on what mandate I play when it's my turn." This should help attract an alliance with an early player.

If Moon clan isn't in the game and you're playing Bonsai with 6 players, I would leverage my alliance offer to the first player by reminding them that we would get the last two mandates before the war phase starts. That has cinched it for me in the past without having to pay out coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Miller
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like 6 player at all. Only one player gets 2 mandates in each season. It makes allying with the first 3 players super valuable, and having an ally at all, nearly critical.

In a 5 player game, more players get to play 2 mandates, which makes the ally aspect a little more interesting, and less critical on turn order. Add in the odd number to prevent the alliance of all players, and it's a far more interesting game.

I won't be interested in playing 6 ever again. The best player count BY FAR has been 4. But I think I like 5 better than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Responses are interesting. I've only played twice, and both were 6 players, and I thought it played great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Billen
Belgium
flag msg tools
Didn’t go over to well I must say. I was the only one who knew the game. The rest were all new players. It took us over 3 hours ,only got 2 seasons in and called it quits.
Things that were brought up are as following: game felt unbalanced and unfair because lower rank honor clans didn’t get to play that many mandates. Too busy on the board, too much time between plays.

The general complaint of the game being unbalanced if I add up my experience and that of the forums here is that players underestimate the power and influence players have over others. It is all about checks and balances.
Planning out your strategy is good, but the observation of other players plans is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
K3nzz0 wrote:
Didn’t go over to well I must say. I was the only one who knew the game. The rest were all new players. It took us over 3 hours ,only got 2 seasons in and called it quits.
Things that were brought up are as following: game felt unbalanced and unfair because lower rank honor clans didn’t get to play that many mandates. Too busy on the board, too much time between plays.

The general complaint of the game being unbalanced if I add up my experience and that of the forums here is that players underestimate the power and influence players have over others. It is all about checks and balances.
Planning out your strategy is good, but the observation of other players plans is key.

I agree with your last bit. If negotiations just aren’t happening, one player can easily run away with the entire game.

I think new players tend to over value being able to play mandates themselves. In 6 players, players 4-6 are only playing one less mandate than players 1-3. If any 4-6 are allied with any 1-3 then you’re not really losing anything (unless your ally screws you over haha.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Sparke
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
K3nzz0 wrote:

I think the take home here is that for a bigger game you shouldn't have all new players to the game.

I've played a couple of 3 player games, and they are great for learning the rules, and then I played a 5 player game with 3 of the 5 having played before, and with some honest advice. It went really well and the players all want to play again.
Thee is a lot of intricacy here, and the players need to learn those first before they get into a game when they have so little direct influence due to pulling less mandates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Eichler

Orem
Utah
msg tools
Most of the games I have done have been six. I enjoy it the most and reccomend it. Usually when people complain about this game with six, is when several people dont know how to take timely turns and dont know how to pre-plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.