Subject: A bunch of questions before first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last Friday I received Barbarians: The Invasion and after looking at all the components and reading the manual, I'm very excited to play the game. After reading the manual twice, I still have a couple of questions left, so I hope someone is able to answer them.

- Do I place a feast card at the end of the 1st Era and a Demon card after the 2nd Era? In the set-up picture of the gameboard on page 4 of the manual it shows demon and feast cards the other way around (demon first, then feast), but this contradicts with the symbols on my game board. Which order is correct?

- Some effects (for example at the end of an Era) rotate a volcano ring by 1 step. I assume that with one step the moving of an entire sector to the left or right is meant, correct? Moving the ring by just one action space would conflict with a sector being linked to two other sectors.

- 'X2' effect. I assume that when you select an action space with a cost and effect that you also need to pay the cost twice to gain the effect twice, correct?

- Similar to my previous question. When a clan power allows you to resolve an effect twice (e.g. sacrifice war chief, demon or feast) then you also have to pay the cost twice if there is a cost involved, right?

- When you sacrifice some of the warchiefs, you gain a 4th champion. When you resolve this twice due to a clan power, does it have any effect? I assume it doesn't, but would like to know for sure.

- Some effects allow you to draw/take the top card of the god or warchief deck building). It is not explicitely described in the manual what this means, but I assume that it works exactly the same as invoking a god or warchief with the exception that you take the facedown card from the god/warchief deck and do not pay any costs. Correct?

- The symbology on the game board for the Varg faction bonus seems to indicate that you can take the top card of any deck (god, warchief or building). The manual says you can take only the top card of the god or warchief deck. Is that correct? (I would expect different symbology if you can take only a god or warchief card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could tell you my guesses to your questions, but instead I'll just add a few more questions:

- When does turn order change? Immediately (would be silly), once everybody placed on the current ring of the volcano (how we played), or at the beginning of next round (bad UI, as there is no way to track "current" turn order then)?
- Are buildings/warchiefs/gods refilled immediately when bought, or only at the end of the round?
- Can you suffer 5 VP from a demon, and then use its ability still?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can answer some of those

- Some effects (for example at the end of an Era) rotate a volcano ring by 1 step. I assume that with one step the moving of an entire sector to the left or right is meant, correct? Moving the ring by just one action space would conflict with a sector being linked to two other sectors.

I have also wondered exactly what a "step" is. But I looked at the how to play video on the kickstarter page, and they only rotate the volcano by one action space. But I don't get how you can make that conflict with a sector being linked to two other sectors?

- Similar to my previous question. When a clan power allows you to resolve an effect twice (e.g. sacrifice war chief, demon or feast) then you also have to pay the cost twice if there is a cost involved, right?

Yes. But keep in mind that you don't have to pay the gold (or loose 5 points) to the demon twice, only it's secondary effect.

"- Are buildings/warchiefs/gods refilled immediately when bought, or only at the end of the round?"

At the end of the round. It says so in the rulebook under 3rd phase. " refill the display area and perform an automatic rotation"

"- Can you suffer 5 VP from a demon, and then use its ability still?"

Yes. At least that's how i interpret it from the rulebook. "First off, players must choose to pay 1 gold or lose 5 domination points. After that, following turn order, players can offer a higher tribute to gain a powerful advantage"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm, was hoping the designer would have visited us by now ;-)

ssk0909 wrote:
I can answer some of those

I have also wondered exactly what a "step" is. But I looked at the how to play video on the kickstarter page, and they only rotate the volcano by one action space. But I don't get how you can make that conflict with a sector being linked to two other sectors?

When setting up the rings of the volcano it is explicitely mentioned in the manual that each sector should be linked to two other (successive) sectors. Gameplay wise this means that you can choose from action places in two sectors when placing your next champion. When rotating one step means that you rotate only one action space (which sounds logical btw) then the consequence of that is that a sector can be linked to just one sector in the successive ring. For instance, if you would rotate the 2nd ring by one action space (after set-up) then each sector aligns exactly with one other sector in the next ring. I wonder if that's the intent or whether each sector should always be linked to two other sectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDragon wrote:
I wonder if that's the intent or whether each sector should always be linked to two other sectors.

We played with the latter option. "Rotate by 1 step = Move to the next intersection of sectors".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do I place a feast card at the end of the 1st Era and a Demon card after the 2nd Era? In the set-up picture of the gameboard on page 4 of the manual it shows demon and feast cards the other way around (demon first, then feast), but this contradicts with the symbols on my game board. Which order is correct?
-You should follow the symbols on the game board.
2. Some effects (for example at the end of an Era) rotate a volcano ring by 1 step. I assume that with one step the moving of an entire sector to the left or right is meant, correct? Moving the ring by just one action space would conflict with a sector being linked to two other sectors.
-Yes, by one sector. Each sector of the Volcano should always be linked
to two sectors on the next wheel, as shown in the initial set-up.

3. 'X2' effect. I assume that when you select an action space with a cost and effect that you also need to pay the cost twice to gain the effect twice, correct?
-Yes, correct. This is explained further in the section 'other actions'
in the rulebook. It is possible to gain the effect up to two times, so
if for instance you didn't have enough resources, you could choose to
gain the effect only once.

4. Similar to my previous question. When a clan power allows you to resolve an effect twice (e.g. sacrifice war chief, demon or feast) then you also have to pay the cost twice if there is a cost involved, right?
-Correct. The only exception to this are the demons, whose cost in gold
or in honor points is spent only 1 time.

5. When you sacrifice some of the warchiefs, you gain a 4th champion. When you resolve this twice due to a clan power, does it have any effect? I assume it doesn't, but would like to know for sure.
-Correct, it doesn't.
6. Some effects allow you to draw/take the top card of the god or warchief deck building). It is not explicitely described in the manual what this means, but I assume that it works exactly the same as invoking a god or warchief with the exception that you take the facedown card from the god/warchief deck and do not pay any costs. Correct?
-Yes, exactly. You take the card from the appropriate deck. This is
partly described in the Trade actions section. So you take a card
without paying its costs, and in the case of a god this means not
receiving the additional resource.

7. The symbology on the game board for the Varg faction bonus seems to indicate that you can take the top card of any deck (god, warchief or building). The manual says you can take only the top card of the god or warchief deck. Is that correct? (I would expect different symbology if you can take only a god or warchief card).
-If you complete the Varg tactic track, you can take a card from any of
the decks (god, warchief, or building).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you do my three questions too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When does turn order change? Immediately (would be silly), once everybody placed on the current ring of the volcano (how we played), or at the beginning of next round (bad UI, as there is no way to track "current" turn order then)?
-During the placement phase on the next ring of the Volcano. The order is set at the beginning of the 2nd phase and is followed until all players have completed their turn.

2. Are buildings/warchiefs/gods refilled immediately when bought, or only at the end of the round?
- Immediately.

3. Can you suffer 5 VP from a demon, and then use its ability still?
- Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fra_tabulagames wrote:
1. When does turn order change? Immediately (would be silly), once everybody placed on the current ring of the volcano (how we played), or at the beginning of next round (bad UI, as there is no way to track "current" turn order then)?
-During the placement phase on the next ring of the Volcano. The order is set at the beginning of the 2nd phase and is followed until all players have completed their turn.

2. Are buildings/warchiefs/gods refilled immediately when bought, or only at the end of the round?
- Immediately.

- Yes!

Ok, so refill immediately, and then at the end clear & refill. I guess we played that wrong. Didn't find anything in the rulebook suggesting immediate refill.

But for the other question you either contradicted yourself, or the rulebook has a big flaw.

So if "2. Action Phase" is each player placing 1 worker, then the structure of an era is not 1-2-3, but 1-2-2-2-(2)-3. The rulebook however implies that "2. Action Phase" is all players playing all workers, but then the turn order adjustment would only happen once. Since it IS only mentioned in the beginning of "2. Action Phase".
This is what caused the confusion for us. I assumed the intention implied by the UI is correct and the rulebook is wrong, and you *seem* to be confirming it, but I'm not sure.

All in all, awesome game let down by a very "free-flowing" rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dejardin
Belgium
Neupré
flag msg tools
TDaver wrote:
fra_tabulagames wrote:

- Immediately.

- Yes!

Ok, so refill immediately, and then at the end clear & refill. I guess we played that wrong. Didn't find anything in the rulebook suggesting immediate refill.

But for the other question you either contradicted yourself, or the rulebook has a big flaw.

So if "2. Action Phase" is each player placing 1 worker, then the structure of an era is not 1-2-3, but 1-2-2-2-(2)-3. The rulebook however implies that "2. Action Phase" is all players playing all workers, but then the turn order adjustment would only happen once. Since it IS only mentioned in the beginning of "2. Action Phase".
This is what caused the confusion for us. I assumed the intention implied by the UI is correct and the rulebook is wrong, and you *seem* to be confirming it, but I'm not sure.

All in all, awesome game let down by a very "free-flowing" rulebook.

Indeed the turn order change is quite confusing and deserves a bit of a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add some questions here as well.

1) Since the dividing lines on each ring point between two actions on the next, which are the actions you have access to? The two actions between the lines on your current ring, or the four actions from the two sectors that the lines are pointing to? If that makes any sense. I played with the access to the four from two sectors.

2) For the Hunt expansion, what is the difference between Beasts and Monsters? Are Beasts the ones with a (War: Win a Battle) bonus, and Monsters everything else? Also, the rulebook suggests that Beasts are reusable, but Monsters are one-shots. Is that correct?

3) Also for the Hunt expansion, how can a Hunt marker ever make it past the D island if there are only 3 Beast/Monster cards per region type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mullaney

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally confused on this now. I believe we played it wrong.

We played the the turn order was set from era to era.

This seems to suggest that the turn order in the action phase "could" change from turn to turn based on the honor track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The given answer is indeed confusing, so I hope it will be clarified soon. I would expect that the turn order is allowed to change after every player has placed their champion on one(!) ring. So the turnorder can change after all players have placed their champion on the first ring, after all champions are placed on the 2nd ring, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mullaney

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this on another thread.

So there seems to have been a rule confusion in my group (and the wording, or at least how we interpret it isn't clear).

Phase 2: Action Phase. It says in player order on the Honor Track players place their champion. Now, if I place a champion a later turn (same round) where it gives me an honor point and I pass another player, does that mean after all players placed their champion THAT TURN, we check for new player order? Or is the player order determined at the beginning of this phase and doesn't change, regardless if the Honor Track order did?

Tabula Games

It's the first option you wrote: "after all players placed their champion THAT TURN, we check for new player order"

Hope that clarifies your doubts

I must say. This game is not without faults. But! Tabula's quick attention to these and other boards is well received by my group. What else can you can from a designer?
I think this enough to convince me to jump on their new kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martino Chiacchiera
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello Everybody,
here is one of the designers of the game.

Just to clarify:

Quote:
4. Similar to my previous question. When a clan power allows you to resolve an effect twice (e.g. sacrifice war chief, demon or feast) then you also have to pay the cost twice if there is a cost involved, right?
Correct. The only exception to this are the demons, whose cost in gold
or in Domination points is spent only 1 time.
The original answer contained a typo, mentioning honor points instead of Domination points.

Quote:

6. Some effects allow you to draw/take the top card of the god or warchief deck building). It is not explicitely described in the manual what this means, but I assume that it works exactly the same as invoking a god or warchief with the exception that you take the facedown card from the god/warchief deck and do not pay any costs. Correct?
Yes, exactly. You take the card from the appropriate deck. This is
partly described in the Trade actions section. So you take a card
without paying its costs.
You still gain Domination points (if top-decking a God)or Honor points (if top-decking a Warchief).
The original answer contained a typo. This is the correct rule.

Quote:
1. When does turn order change? Immediately (would be silly), once everybody placed on the current ring of the volcano (how we played), or at the beginning of next round (bad UI, as there is no way to track "current" turn order then)? The turn order is allowed to change after every player has placed their champion on one(!) ring. So the turn order can change after all players have placed their champion on the first ring, after all champions have been placed on the 2nd ring, etc. In other words: first everybody places their Champion on the first ring, then you check the new turn order, and everybody places their second champion, and so on...

Quote:
2. Are buildings/warchiefs/gods refilled immediately when bought, or only at the end of the round? At the end of the Era. Any leftover Warchief, God and Building cards are discarded to the bottom of the respective decks, and you refill 2 new Warchief cards, 2 new God cards, and 4 new Building cards.

Original answer contained wrong information.

Quote:
1) Since the dividing lines on each ring point between two actions on the next, which are the actions you have access to? The two actions between the lines on your current ring, or the four actions from the two sectors that the lines are pointing to? If that makes any sense. I played with the access to the four from two sectors.
Each sector grants acces to 2 sectors below, thus to 4 actions. You are playing correctly.

Quote:
2) For the Hunt expansion, what is the difference between Beasts and Monsters? Are Beasts the ones with a (War: Win a Battle) bonus, and Monsters everything else? Also, the rulebook suggests that Beasts are reusable, but Monsters are one-shots. Is that correct?
Yes, everything is correct.

Quote:
3) Also for the Hunt expansion, how can a Hunt marker ever make it past the D island if there are only 3 Beast/Monster cards per region type? This is possible because each time a player fights a Beast or Monster, they might lose, thus the Hunt marker moves forward but the Beast/Monster card is not claimed by the player.

Hope this helps

Have fun!

Martino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmations. Hope they make into the rulebook (the biggest confusion seem to be that one action phase = everyone placing ONE worker, not all.

I'm glad you overturned the ruling about when to refill the card markets (first game we played with end of era refill and it felt tighter less random), but it begs the question: what if there is none? can you just not use an action/ability that would allow you to get one? if you go to the god+warchief action on ring IV, but ONE of them is empty, do you get that one? if both are empty and that's the only action you could take, do you get 2 domination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martino Chiacchiera
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello David,

It is worth to mention that some* actions and bonuses in the game allow you to top-deck a God (or Warchief, or Building). This allows you to obtain a card of the chosen kind even when the face-up cards have been already taken (or when you do not like the available face-up cards).
*Note that "top-decking" is a different icon from the standard "take a God/Warchief" action.

Quote:
what if there is none? can you just not use an action/ability that would allow you to get one?
As a rule of thumb, if you place your chamion to perform an action, you can always decide to perform it or not. Normally you'd want to, but sometimes it is not possible. I.e.: If you take a "god action" but there aren't available God cards on the display, you take nothing. Same holds true for Warchiefes (and for Buildings too). In any case, you still must place your champion.

Quote:
if you go to the god+warchief action on ring IV, but ONE of them is empty, do you get that one?
In the case of the action space of the 4th ring, the one providing both a God and a Warchief, you can take up to one God and up to one Warchief. It might happen that one of the two kinds of card is missing (or you don't want it), thus you get only the other one. If both kinds of card are gone (or you are not interested in them), you simply place your champion and take nothing.

Quote:
if both are empty and that's the only action you could take, do you get 2 domination?
The only possibility to gain 2 Domination points for not taking an action is due to the rare configuration in which you cannot place a champion on any action space, because others are blocking all the action spaces you could reach. (In case you could still reach an action space by turning the Volcamno using a God, it's up to you to decide if you want to turn the volcano and take an action, or not. Usually the former makes much more sense...)

Hope it's is clear now

Martino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
msg tools
mb
Having played through once, I echo the comment on another thread that a summary sheet would be REALLY useful. Most of the iconography is in the rulebook, but there are a couple that don't have clear call-outs, so we had to infer their meaning from other icons that seemed similar.

In terms of gameplay, I have a question about the 4th champion effects we ran into:

If you pass the Honor point where you would gain the 4th champion, but you've already utilized an effect that gave you the 4th champion for THAT Era, does the honor effect get "banked" to the following era? Or is the effect lost?

Or am I mis-inferring the effect of the Honor track, and it would provide the 4th champion for the follow-on era regardless of how many champions you have for that era? (this would be at odds with the other effects, which seem instantaneous),

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martino Chiacchiera
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello,
As said in the rulebook, you can't have more than 4 Champions per Era. If you manage somehow to gain a fifth-one, this is just wasted. Thus, in order to optimize it you should try hard to get no more than one 4th champion bonus per Era, or you'll end up wasting this bonus you could have used on a different time in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.