Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Low down-time/high interaction/activity games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hill
msg tools
My regular play Group is getting kind of big. We are rarely less then five players playing these days.

This has made me realize that there can be a lot of downtime in games and that it can be a bit dull then one does not get to do anything much relevant for 20 minutes or so.

So I now looking for that Amazing, decently Heavy and Epic game where that does not happen. Where you have to be a bit on your toes, where you can do interesting stuff when it is not your "turn" and that does this without creating too much chaos and making it impossible to do things during your turn when playing 4-5 players.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You get less than 1 page of results if you do a BGG advanced search for a game with 1]a weight rating 3.5 to 5 (at least 10 weight ratings), 2] a player count that includes 5, and 3] has simultaneous play:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&adv...

Maybe start looking at those?

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit of a game with low down time is that it will stop people licking the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy: Mostly played simultaneously.
Bohnanza would fit the bill but is neither heavy nor epic.
Keyflower is not really about doing things while it is not your turn but you need to constantly adjust your plans to the other players' moves. Hence, it has a lot of suspense plus tons of options that you can weigh while waiting. Nevertheless, individual turns are usually over quickly. I always found that it plays quite quickly despite its depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
Veero wrote:

You get less than 1 page of results if you do a BGG advanced search for a game with 1]a weight rating 3.5 to 5 (at least 10 weight ratings), 2] a player count that includes 5, and 3] has simultaneous play:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&adv...

Maybe start looking at those?

~V

That is a very nice search! Thanks a lot, will look into those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
odie73 wrote:
Roll for the Galaxy: Mostly played simultaneously.
Bohnanza would fit the bill but is neither heavy nor epic.
Keyflower is not really about doing things while it is not your turn but you need to constantly adjust your plans to the other players' moves. Hence, it has a lot of suspense plus tons of options that you can weigh while waiting. Nevertheless, individual turns are usually over quickly. I always found that it plays quite quickly despite its depth.

I am mostly looking for a game where the other players have a different role/can interact during other players turns I Think. RoFTG is good thinking though... Maybe its time to go back to the Galaxy again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I recommend you this geeklist: How Many Players? Play This..... (2017 Edition)

You still have to check the low-downtime by hand, but it should be a good start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
My regular play Group is getting kind of big. We are rarely less then five players playing these days.

This has made me realize that there can be a lot of downtime in games and that it can be a bit dull then one does not get to do anything much relevant for 20 minutes or so.

So I now looking for that Amazing, decently Heavy and Epic game where that does not happen. Where you have to be a bit on your toes, where you can do interesting stuff when it is not your "turn" and that does this without creating too much chaos and making it impossible to do things during your turn when playing 4-5 players.

Thoughts?

Before I make any recommendations, have some questions: What games are you playing now? And in which games do you find the slow pace to be a problem? And what do you define as being a “heavy” game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
MLowrey wrote:
Before I make any recommendations, have some questions: What games are you playing now? And in which games do you find the slow pace to be a problem? And what do you define as being a “heavy” game?

We are playing Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Terraforming mars, Battlestar galactica, some Decent now and then, the odd Axis and allies, some Terra mystica and a bit of Arkham horror. And a bunch of gamest that we have only played once.

Most of the games on the list has a bit of low-intensity time and reasonably complex desicion making and with four other players the low-intensity time goes up. I want to stress that I am fine with that really, I am just looking for this awesome game that is intense all the time (if it exists).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.