BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a must-have boardgame as a gift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syb Burk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi there!

A friend of mine told me that he wants to start a boardgame collection. I know he already has some, but just the standard dutch games. He also has the Castle Ravenloft D&D game, which I've play with him. I'm quite sure that one is his favorite.

He's still saving up for an official boardgame table before he actually wants to start collecting board games, but his birthday is coming up and I'd love to give him a small start for his collection. I sometimes play some of his games with him, but apart from that I know absolutely nothing about boardgames. So I was wondering if you could help me find a game that he would definitely like.

I was looking at Gloomhaven, but the game was just a bit too expensive for me. I'm hoping to keep it under 100,- euros. I know he likes fantasy games most but thats not a hard demand. Also he prefers games that can be played cooperative instead of competitive. It would be great if the games also weren't extremely hard. Even though he has a good understanding of the games, the people he plays with are usually new to boardgames (like me).

Are there any fantasy coop games he really should have if he wants to start his collection? Would really appreciate the help!

EDIT: Looking through the games on the site a bit also made me think he prefers an adventure like game with an actual board/map. Not a cards only game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe something like Legends of Andor...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not coop, but Lords of Waterdeep might be a good start. It is a classic worker placement game and quite fun.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault is coop, mostly, but is Star Wars. I have found it enjoyable.

A fun game with a fantasy theme is Above and Below. This is one of my personal favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andee Whittle
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend a handful of "gateway games" these will offer a good variety of options and different board game types to start a collection. Any in the following list would be a good place to start.

Ascension
Ticket to Ride
Unearth
Clank
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic
Dice Throne
King of Tokyo
Vegas
Lords of Waterdeep
Smash Up
7 Wonders
Mach Koro
Dominion
Karuba
Tokaido
Sagrada
Resistance
Coup
Codenames

A little more complex:

Legends of Andor
Clank
Descent
Zombicide black plague
Above and Below
Near and Far
Cry Havoc
Mansions of Madness
Elder Sign
Aeons End

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syb Burk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone! I bought Legends of Andor for him. Seems like that was the most mentioned one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.