Thunderstone Quest» Forums » General

Subject: How to proceed after the first chapter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played the first chapter of the scenario-book as a kind of a tutorial.

How to best proceed from here: clearly we could play along the scenario but the overall lore we skipped anyway (story is a bit half-baked to our taste) hence the scenarios have more of a fixed setup character to it.
Should we directly skip to random play? Do the scenarios have a ramp-up in terms of difficulty/complexity? What has been your experience?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Newnham
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
I too am wondering this same thing, I guess it's personal preference but I feel like someone more experienced with thunderstone might have a good next step. - the quest seems like it would play very similarly as only small things change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've been playing the scenarios with my roommate. The awesome part of them is by the end I'll have learned all of the cards except the handful of non-quest related cards and all scenarios have synergy on the cards that will encourage you to play with class/item/spell/weapon combos you may have skipped.

I was leaning really hard of fights and clerics in the first quest with my roommate using rogues and wizards. In the first session of the second quest they have the dwarven wizard who enchants weapons, the rogue who gets a bonus using daggers and the punch daggers so I switched to rogue and wizard. There were some epic turns where my three daggers were doing a combined 17 damage before I added the wizard and rogue.

There is also the rule about adding 1 card do your starting deck per session and that has really opened up some interesting ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The big thing is that Thunderstone historically hasn't done well with purely random setups, and I suspect the same is true of Quest. There are so many abilities that are only relevant if certain other things are available.

I'd just play through them all in order. Should give you a nice survey of most of the cards in the game, and more importantly those are all pre-made setups and hopefully AEG's arranged them so that they're well-balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
The big thing is that Thunderstone historically hasn't done well with purely random setups, and I suspect the same is true of Quest. There are so many abilities that are only relevant if certain other things are available.

I'd just play through them all in order. Should give you a nice survey of most of the cards in the game, and more importantly those are all pre-made setups and hopefully AEG's arranged them so that they're well-balanced.

Ok that makes sense. So the scenario book should be more read as a "suggested setup" rather than a chronicle order of chapters. So you could flip through the pages and play any chapter in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I'm using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barandum wrote:
Asmor wrote:

Ok that makes sense. So the scenario book should be more read as a "suggested setup" rather than a chronicle order of chapters. So you could flip through the pages and play any chapter in any order.

That's how I view the scenario book as well. I actually play mostly random setups. The mostly part meaning that sometimes the randomness is slightly altered upon Hero choice or something like that. For example, if there is a Hero selected that gets bonuses from Blunt Weapons, we will make sure the Market has at least one random Blunt Weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Zizik
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
We played the third scenario of the first chapter last night. We changed the setup slightly because it included Stormhand heroes, but then there were no edged weapons in the village at all to go with them. I think we switched out the maul for short swords. So that is something to watch out for, I don't like having a hero in the setup that nobody would ever use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words... what we need is an updated randomizer website:

http://www.thundermaster.net/

and app:

ThunderAid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The random set up in Quest does lend itself to somewhat of a synergistic set-up in that some of the hero randomizers list keywords that allow you to add some marketplace cards that will synergize with them. This makes it more of a semi-random set-up, but also leads to a better gaming experience IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:

and app:

ThunderAid

That would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
ath3ist wrote:

and app:

ThunderAid

I sort of think fan-made quests would be even better. I like how the quest system puts specific set ups at the heart of the design, moving away from the random versions that can sometimes produce dull games (albeit also sometimes produce great ones).

Shouldn't be too hard to do once people get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.