Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is what’s on my shelf today. Now, as I’ve said before, I am not in love with co-op games. That doesn’t mean I dislike them. It just means I prefer to play competitive games almost every time over a co-op. Well, there are a couple of exceptions. Flash Point is one of those exceptions. While this one still has the co-op aspect going, it is so thematic. I mean, you really feel like you are warring with fire while rescuing people. I absolutely love the theme. There is only one co-op game that I like better than this one, and we will talk about that one soon enough.

Flash Point plays in about 45 minutes, which is a great timeframe for a co-op for me. The dice used to spread the fire are random, but make so much sense thematically. Honestly, the dice don’t screw you over as much as what you would assume, unless you let the fire get out of control. And when they do screw you over occasionally, you accept the results because once again, it is so thematic. The game play is very straightforward, but provides substantial list of actions and different special abilities to make you feel like you really have a lot of options, and that there are multiple ways to solve the problem. They don’t just make you feel that way, I believe there really are multiple ways to address the problem in this one. And finally, this game seems beatable. Granted, it’s hard, but there are multiple levels of difficulty. So if I have lost a few times on the medium level I can always drop it back down to recruit difficulty to get a quick win in and feel better about myself… (That’s kind of not a joke) But even the recruit difficulty is not a guaranteed win, which I like. On top of that, there is also a great family game that I have played many of times with my kids, and it is still fun for adults.

This is a relatively small box that packs a big punch. This is probably the second co-op I purchased after Pandemic, but for me I like this one better. I can’t explain it, I just think Flash Point is more dynamic. Overall, I don’t have a whole lot of explanation as to why I like Flash Point, except for the fact that you really feel like you are fighting fires, and your adrenaline gets to pumping as you spread that fire after each turn. On top of theme there really is a good game here. I encourage anyone who enjoys co-ops to give this one a try.

Flash Point is a co-op that will never leave my shelf. In fact, as I was writing this post I remembered that there were several map expansions for it and I bought the Dangerous Waters expansion, which lets you fire fires on a ship or a submarine. But anyways, that is why this one is on my shelf; because it is just a good, solid, thematic game with a great play time. What about you guys? Is this one on your shelf? Did anyone not like Flash Point, and why? Let me know.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never ever again comes to the table vanilla!
The expansion Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Tragic Events is absolutely fabulous and essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorite co-ops also. I love the theme. I have most expansions and I love how each adds a little difference and variable difficulty. I love the expansions but I'll play vanilla just as readily.

The playtime is also a huge plus. I love Defenders of the Realm also but the playtime bars this from seeing the table as often and I agree, I like this better than pandemic.

Very curious as to your favorite co-op. I'll be looking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye out Joseph. It should be coming on my geeklist in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.