Subject: Thinknig about getting a copy of this but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Seems like a good amount of ppl are really hating on this game. I watched a few gameplay video's and it seems like a decent game. I am a huge zombie fan plus I like TWD.

However, Is there good replay? Is the game to easy? This would kill it for me if so.

One of my favorite games is Dark darker Darkest, and the miniatures for this were not great but I loved the game. I heard the miniatures for TWD no Sanctuary was awful so that's why I brought up DDD.

Anyways I can get a KS copy of this game and the KS Add-on's for 185.00 + Shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where you saw than a good amount of people are really hating on this game.

Some people, me included, are disappointed regarding the content quality in comparison to what has been promised but that's pretty much it.
Some also find that the rules are not very well laid down or even tweaked but it's not a major problem.
Nothing is broken, just some things that could have been better.

No one says that this game is bad. Just that it could have easily been better if only they went that extra mile.

Now, if you saw some videos, you liked the game play and you like the components as they are shown, you are good to go.
No hidden info there.
What you see is what you get.

The problem (that isn't yours) was that what we got, we haven't seen it before.
And some wouldn't have pledged it if they had seen the game before (and some would definitely have).

That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Weesner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's not perfect, but for us, it's been a blast to play. I wish the rules were less ambiguous and that's frustrating, but it seems that we've been able to figure out whatever is at question after a little while (just goes to show that technical writing is a true skill).

The first four scenarios seem like a cake walk because they are basically training tutorials to learn the mechanics of the game. Scenario 5 (Shallow Graves) throws the hammer down. We've lost to it twice. Getting ready to try it a third time.

The miniatures are obviously not Games Workshop or CMON quality, but I just finished painting the entire core set and they look fine to me.

For me, it really feels like the early days of the show when it was still fresh and new, and the ideas were flowing.

I've played it solo, 2 player and 3 player and have enjoyed it at all player counts. The Ally mechanic is truly innovative and it flows really well. One of my complaints when playing solo is having to manage multiple characters. This system does it for you. They are either compliant, following the controlling survivor's chosen card, or they are defiant doing a different action on their ally sheet by losing trust or they just a standard action without loss of trust. Really cool.

All this to say, will you like it? I don't know, but I sure do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what to tell you, Chris. I am really enjoying my game. It's been out on my table for 3 weeks and I've only played three episodes. But I've had fun playing each of them several times and sometimes with different characters. I have never played one game that long before. It's not too easy for me, but then again, I'm an average player.

My only problem with this game has been with the rule book. It's just not user-friendly. I'm not a big mini person either, but I am thinking of painting these Minis. It will be the first ones I've ever painted that's how much I like the game. I know with me, it has a lot to do with my enjoying the show so much. My husband and I both agree that it really does feel like an episode of the show when you're playing the game.

I think it all comes down to how much you enjoy watching the show and if the game has mechanics in it that you think you'll like. I spent $227 plus shipping on mine and I don't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I can't say to you if the game is worth 185$+shipping, but I'm loving the game.

Yes there are foggy areas in the rulebook, yes the CMON miniatures are a mile away in terms of quality and size, yes there are components that are a sheet of paper and 2 minuscule tokens.

But then there are the Survivors, you get a lot, all of them very well done thematically speaking, Michonne is a bad ass in close combat, Andrea can shoot and assist you from very far, Morgan sets traps, Rick is a leader, Carl gives you options that help you but they give you stress, just like a normal teenager, Carol is a sweet talk then bam, Glenn is very nimble and then there are plenty of more.

The scenarios are very good also thematically speaking, now we're in the 4th scenario, when the survivors come back to get Merle and a stash of guns. The first one is very easy, but I think it's supposed to. The 3rd scenario we've lost the first time and barely won in the second. I believe it's on the medium easy, but it get's harder and I've noticed that things can go wrong very very fast.

The stress, events, group tension, strangers, rivals, special walkers, things you have to do to advance the objectives are very well thought.

Let us know what you decide!

P.S - I have KS Edition with Expansions and the scenario add-ons.
And like the game so much that bought the Better Angels scenario that I didn't buy in the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Weesner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ginalaurie wrote:
It's been out on my table for 3 weeks…

Gina — Me too! This is the only game that I have in my collection that has literally been on my game table since the day I recieved and unpacked it three weeks ago. I have not taken it down once.

I can't remember a time that I enjoyed learning and playing a game like I have this one. And I do love how it plays differently with each character's inherent strengths and weaknesses. With Shane in the group, we defeated the Rivals. Without him, they killed us pretty quickly.

Another great conundrum is that in the fifth scenario you need trust. We had Merle in the group and he obviously works best when no one trusts him. Fun to see the people playing the game arguing like the characters did with Merle on the show! Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henk Allaert
Belgium
Dadizele
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rulebook sucks, but the game is really good. If you like the show, I honestly think you will like this game.
The mini's are not the best, but they are good enough for me to play with, you can easily see what character you are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is actually quite good. The tiered mission structure (usually 3 phases to complete) gives each mission a narrative feel reminiscent of Arkham Horror LCG (though more emergent than explicit). As much as I enjoy Zombicide, I think there is more "story" happening in this game.

I've only played three scenarios so far (had to replay the first scenario twice), but I'm seeing that the difficulty is going to be highly correlated to the characters you choose to be in your team. My first two scenarios, I played with Glenn (survivor - support), Rick (ally - support), Lori (ally - support), and Shane (ally - combat). Not a very well balanced team. Going in so support heavy, the scenarios were challenging in that I had issues dealing with walker swarms. When I varied my team opting instead for Glenn (survivor - support), Rick (ally - support), Daryl (ally - jack of all trades), and Andrea (ally - combat). This team was incredibly OP and made the scenario rather easy, but still fun. Andrea can easily wipe out an entire swarm on her own. Daryl, while he can't rack up the body count like Andree, has excellent range. And Rick is essentially a healer and trust/focus generator (great when playing multiple allies), who can also give free actions (consider Andrea being able to roll for Natural Shot twice in one turn, way OP). I've been trying to play with only the characters who were actually around in that scenario, so I haven't played with others like Sasha just yet.

There is also some excitement in terms of searching "buildings." Some of the search cards could be hazards or secrets that can mess with a well-laid plan forcing you to adjust. This can be quite punishing if a survivor is caught all by themselves (or if Rick is not nearby for heals or double actions).

The dice are more complicated than what I've seen in other games of this sort (in a good way). There are "good" dice that you roll based on that characters stats, and "bad" dice rolled based on the stress accumulated on that character. Bad dice can have consequences like fear effects and threat level increases, forcing you to again adjust your tactics.

There is a group board that's used to manage events and group resources. Although I've found I haven't really used group resources much. For example, spending an ammunition resource lets a character defeat an enemy at the cost of 1 threat increase. I never needed this, if I have Andrea or Shane in my team. It did however give me an option if poor Glenn was all by himself.

The last major points I wanted to cover are the leader and ally mechanics. The leader is in charge of setting the group approach that turn. Which is to say, they ultimately decide if the group will play it safe, cautiously, or aggressive. This decision basically orders the other survivors to only use abilities that are of that same approach. But they can "disobey" that order and use others, at a price. Disobeying players will increase the leader's stress, and disobeying allies must discard a Trust token to use an ability that doesn't match the leader's approach. Pretty cool system that forces everyone to consider how their actions will affect others, rather than everyone acting independently and not playing as a team.

Then there is the ally system, which is awesome! I think the scenarios are tuned for 4 players. But if you, like me, tend to play solo you can still play with 1 survivor, and 3 allies (or fewer if you want added difficulty). Allies are still controlled by you, but they don't have their own decks. Instead, they have 3 abilities, one for each approach (safe, cautious, aggressive). Every character board has two sides, the player survivor side, and an ally side. Although ally versions are less dynamic due to the lack of their decks, and more fragile (can only take 3 damage before death), it drastically reduces the book-keeping on the controlling player. A HUGE plus in a game like this. Playing Zombicide solo with 6 characters, though fun, is a massive chore. The Walking Dead's ally system is brilliant.

If you've read this far, you are probably getting the impression that the game is a mix of narratively driven dungeon running with elements of resource management (e.g. stress mitigation, trust/focus management, food/ammunition/material management). I can honestly say, I'm taken with this game, despite my misgivings regarding the component quality. Once you wrap your head around the rules (no thanks to the poorly organized manual), the game itself will flow like an episode of the TV show in tabletop miniature form.

If you decide to pick up the game, I would also recommend having other tokens or cubes handy to replace the morale and threat trackers. The provided tokens are laughably tiny (smaller than a hole punch). Many of my miniatures were badly bent, but you can easily fix that by dipping them in hot water for a moment, reposing them, and then dunking them in an ice water bath. The only miniature that can't really be saved is the Governor. That miniature is horrible, and I don't think Crypto has any plans to recast it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All has Been said, great game.
Only wish We had a better rulebook, the way It is written reminds me of Arkham Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader813 wrote:
Seems like a good amount of ppl are really hating on this game. I watched a few gameplay video's and it seems like a decent game. I am a huge zombie fan plus I like TWD.

However, Is there good replay? Is the game to easy? This would kill it for me if so.

One of my favorite games is Dark darker Darkest, and the miniatures for this were not great but I loved the game. I heard the miniatures for TWD no Sanctuary was awful so that's why I brought up DDD.

Anyways I can get a KS copy of this game and the KS Add-on's for 185.00 + Shipping.

I wish you lived closer to Houston, TX. I would sell you my kickstarter bundle with all add-on’s for a steal. I don’think this product is worth paying $185. Its quality is not on par with similar products. I believe there are much better board game investments for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Wow Thanks for all the feedback!

I just got my core game from CMON's Green horde. And I have almost everything for TWD All out war!! I love Zombies!

I think I am going to make the dive and just get TWD No sanctuary game KS version. As long as the replay is there I should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to comment but like others have said here, I love the game and it hasn't left my table in weeks. I've played about 15 times, more than half of those solo. I love how the games uses Allies instead of having me play multiple characters.

I love mix and matching people to play and the game just has great mechanics and a really good feel. I don't know how to explain it, but this game hits every sweet spot for me.

Hands down the best Walking Dead game on the market and I doubt I will play any of my other zombie games anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader813 wrote:
And I have almost everything for TWD All out war!!

Yeah, I'd part with my No Sanctuary copy too, but you can definitely proxy the TWD miniatures, since they're the comic book version of The Walking Dead, while No Sanctuary is the TV version.

So. Ready to shell out for Spaaaace Zombies next month? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think the game is awesome.. love the card mechanics... not sure why folks are
Upset about the minis... they are not GW or CMON quality...
But they work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
But they work...

Indeed, they work.
But Cryptozoic promised way more than "working" minis. They promised really detailed and high level minis. That's definitely not what we got.
So, it all depends on what you were expecting from your game and components: working ones or ones that meet the promises.

I hope this helps to understand why some people are ok with what they got and why some people aren't.

PS: this has been debated to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Rocky123 wrote:
But they work...

Indeed, they work.
But Cryptozoic promised way more than "working" minis. They promised really detailed and high level minis. In fact, that promised very high level minis. That's definitely not what we got.
So, it all depends on what you were expecting from your game and components: working ones or ones that meat the promises.

I hope this helps to understand why some people are ok with what they got and why some people aren't.

You know you're on BGG, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
baylock wrote:
Rocky123 wrote:
But they work...

Indeed, they work.
But Cryptozoic promised way more than "working" minis. They promised really detailed and high level minis. In fact, that promised very high level minis. That's definitely not what we got.
So, it all depends on what you were expecting from your game and components: working ones or ones that meat the promises.

You know you're on BGG, right?

Yes and?

The PS is a PS. A side note. Something not important but still worth mentioning.
I don't say it can't be debated. I just inform that this debate is all over the place and can be re-read at will.
That it is not something new and that it might be a bit redundant to re-invent the wheel once again.
May I?

And don't show me your teeth like that.
That's not the first time and I'm still not impressed (just a joke about about your avatar, just in case you'll get it wrong, once again :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure everyone who gives a shit is already aware of the debate.

Feeling the need to answer everyone who claims that the minis are “ok” won’t help reducing the amount of it (since it seems to bother you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for telling me what I'm allowed to say or not.

The person said he wasn't sure why.
That was an answer. And a very moderate and gathering one.
And the PS was to tell him that there are places where the why has also been debated.

It doesn't bother me at all that someone finds the components to be ok. It never did. You are not in my head and you don't know my needs, so don't even try.

But when some add that they are not sure why people would think otherwise, then it calls for an answer. Obviously.

Because here is the thing: so far those who aren't pleased never judged those who are, in this forum. I read all the threads and it never happened.
But some who are pleased can't seem to understand that anyone could think differently.

So, each time I'll read someone saying s/he not's sure why someone could think differently, I'll answer. For this matter to be cristal clear.
Like it or not. Be "pretty sure" or not.
I so don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

And the PS was to tell him that there are places where the why has also been debated.

It doesn't bother me at all that someone finds the components to be ok. It never did. You are not in my head and you don't know my needs, so don't even try.

But when some add that they are not sure why people would think otherwise, then it calls for an answer. Obviously.

Because here is the thing: so far those who aren't pleased never judged those who are, in this forum. I read all the threads and it never happened.
But those who are pleased can't seem to understand that anyone could thing differently.

So, each time I'll read someone saying s/he not's sure why someone could think differently, I'll answer. For this matter to be cristal clear.
I so don't care.

Cool. Write 5 more paragraphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the base game retail will have a standees-only version for under $60, even less on a sale. The expansions won't have standees, but it's not like you can't make them. I certainly wouldn't drop $200 on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen ebay listings for the core game, two expansions, and the KS stretch goal box, for $120USD. Looks like the price is already dropping, in case anyone is interested in picking it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
baylock wrote:

But those who are pleased can't seem to understand that anyone could thing differently.

I so don't care.

To spin you like a pancake and make you jump off your high heels?
Anytime.

See? Condescending punchlines are easy. Debating, however, needs more skills (and paragraphs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
baylock wrote:

I so don't care.

Anytime.

See? Condescending punchlines are easy. Debating, however, needs more skills (and paragraphs.

Or do they?

Sorry couldnt resist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
baylock wrote:

I so don't care.

Anytime.

See? Condescending punchlines are easy. Debating, however, needs more skills (and paragraphs).

What debate? You got your pussy hurt for no reason so you wanted to affirm your proud position with some long declaration. Wonderful. You want to be on a dramatic campaign against the game? You're quite welcome.

Just like you, I'm allowed to state what I think.

And please keep your response to 3 paragraphs or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.