GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,019 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Okavango» Forums » General

Subject: Is this co-op? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really interesting, is the game a Co-Op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
govindk wrote:
Looks really interesting, is the game a Co-Op?

I could totally be wrong, but I am going to guess "no" based on the player screens shown on the back of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it today. It's competitive. It's about collecting and scoring ever increasing sets of animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Westin
Sweden
Arjeplog
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How good was it?
And how heavy? Is it more of a family game or something for more experienced gamers aswell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely more of a family game.
I was quite positive about the game at first: Collecting sets, scoring points here and there, building up an ever greater group. Interesting mechanisms and quite smooth.

But then at about halfway I noticed a few things:
- When you have a bit of a bad start you're screwed and it's really hard to get back into it. Effectively you're just sitting the game out. In my 4p game halfway through it was clear only 2 people were competing for the win.
- The game overstays its welcome, by quite a margin. The reason is this: The game incentivizes you to build up groups of animals slowly for ever growing amounts of points. That way you have a solid 'income' of animals so you can keep on scoring points. Try to go big too early, and you have little to play for the rest of the game. So slowly but surely groups get bigger and more valuable on the board. The biggest locations however 2 or 3) don't get filled up. Noone wants to take a punt for big points out of fear that others won't want the game to end and will slowly overtake you. This leads to a bit of a stalemate whereby eventually someone can no longer postpone going for the big points and then loses out to the player who can postpone for longer. It's like an endurance race, but not a particularly fun one. It becomes somewhat annoying, and predictable whereby moves become more and more forced and you're just waiting for it to end. Sometimes elegant gameplay (which it has) introduces serious gameplay issues.

So: Good first part, bad second part. I have no intention to ever play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.