GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Kemet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I teleport 1 troop (5 men) to different temple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hieu Trinh
Vietnam
flag msg tools
In my last game, some guy have 10 points so this will be the last round, i have 9 pts and my turn's the last turn.

I have 1 troop with 5 men and an Elephant and 9pp. There are 4/5 temple with no occupied.

Since teleport do not count as a move. I use 8 pp to teleport 1 men to each temple, got 4 temporary pts and 1 keep-2-temple-point. So i have total 14 points and win the game.

Does it possible, or i played it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Kohout
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is correct (and awesome) way to move if you have level 2 red power tile Teleport, which allows you to teleport between obelisks. Without this power tile you can teleport only from pyramid and only to 1 temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read your post, you started on your pyramid, chose a 5-men troop, spent 8 pp and teleported 1 soldier to each temple. If that's the case, you played it wrong. The only way to do what you wanted to do is with the Teleport red power tile, which allows you to teleport from an obelisk, so that you would teleport to a temple, drop a soldier, teleport to the next temple, drop a soldier, and so on and so fort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdaffonso wrote:
The way I read your post, you started on your pyramid, chose a 5-men troop, spent 8 pp and teleported 1 soldier to each temple. If that's the case, you played it wrong. The only way to do what you wanted to do is with the Teleport red power tile, which allows you to teleport from an obelisk, so that you would teleport to a temple, drop a soldier, teleport to the next temple, drop a soldier, and so on and so fort.

I believe you are correct but I don´t remember any FAQ saying you cannot teleport units in a troop to different destinations. It is broken as hell, just wandering if this was mentioned before somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legonian wrote:
mdaffonso wrote:

I believe you are correct but I don´t remember any FAQ saying you cannot teleport units in a troop to different destinations. It is broken as hell, just wandering if this was mentioned before somewhere.

It's not necessary. It's in the rulebook:
Quote:
C) Using teleportation by a pyramid:
A player can teleport a troop from a pyramid (of his territory or an opponent’s one) to an obelisk space.
• The player must pay 2 [pp].
• Teleporting doesn’t consume any movement capacity

The rule gives you all the elements you need: a troop, a pyramid, an obelisk space. Not toops, not obelisk spaces. All otherwise normal movement rules and restrictions apply. Just like you may not take a troop, split it and move to two different adjacent spaces, you may not split it to teleport to two different obelisks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdaffonso wrote:
Legonian wrote:
mdaffonso wrote:

It's not necessary. It's in the rulebook:
Quote:
C) Using teleportation by a pyramid:
A player can teleport a troop from a pyramid (of his territory or an opponent’s one) to an obelisk space.
• The player must pay 2 [pp].
• Teleporting doesn’t consume any movement capacity

The rule gives you all the elements you need: a troop, a pyramid, an obelisk space. Not toops, not obelisk spaces. All otherwise normal movement rules and restrictions apply. Just like you may not take a troop, split it and move to two different adjacent spaces, you may not split it to teleport to two different obelisks.

/Agreed. Wording on the rulebook is very specific ("an obelisk space"). Missed that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Land Slot
msg tools
mdaffonso wrote:
The only way to do what you wanted to do is with the Teleport red power tile, which allows you to teleport from an obelisk, so that you would teleport to a temple, drop a soldier, teleport to the next temple, drop a soldier, and so on and so fort.

conclude, I can do it or not ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landslot wrote:
mdaffonso wrote:
The only way to do what you wanted to do is with the Teleport red power tile, which allows you to teleport from an obelisk, so that you would teleport to a temple, drop a soldier, teleport to the next temple, drop a soldier, and so on and so fort.

conclude, I can do it or not ?

Yes if you have the red power that allows you to teleport from Obelisks to obelisks. And for some reason there are 4 temples empty after the first round (that´s the hard part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lari Rissanen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The legit way to do a point grab from last place:
1) Have the red Teleport tile (as many have said) or the black Sphinx in a troop.
2) Use move action to teleport or move the whole troop to a temple (which has an Obelix, of course)
3) From the Obelix, teleport to the next one leaving one unit behind at the temple.
4) Repeat until you have all three temples (and also the sacrificial place if playing three or five player game).
5) In a five player game you'll gain: 4 temporary points for temples, 2 permanent temple VPs for control, and 1 for sacrificing a troop.

If you get the teleport tile, -1 cost for teleport and -1 cost for everything, you can do this maneuver for free. The temples are not going to be vacant though if anyone knows this move. You also need to be the last player (with classic rules).

For Ta-Seti rules, you won't be able to hold the temporary points and will give others at least 4 points if you leave 1 guy at each temple.

With Legion, +moves and free teleportation you can get over eight points in one turn by taking others' pyramids as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skurr
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
Am i mis-understanding something here?

1) In order to capture a temple you need a movement action
2) When doing a ground movement you can choose to leave/drop units along the way... BUT...
3) When teleporting you teleport a troop, there is no discussion of leaving or dropping units whilst teleporting..??

Even if you assume that you can leave one unit at source and teleport the remaining 4 as a 'troop', at that point wouldn't your movement end? If you wanted to Teleport again then as i read it you would need to select another movement action.

It would appear to me that you can drop units along the way with a ground movement - BUT multiple-teleporting requires multiple movement actions? A teleport action has ONE starting point and ONE ending point?

Happy to be corrected, but that is my understanding from reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_hunter wrote:
In my last game, some guy have 10 points so this will be the last round, i have 9 pts and my turn's the last turn.

I have 1 troop with 5 men and an Elephant and 9pp. There are 4/5 temple with no occupied.

Since teleport do not count as a move. I use 8 pp to teleport 1 men to each temple, got 4 temporary pts and 1 keep-2-temple-point. So i have total 14 points and win the game.

Does it possible, or i played it wrong?

When you do a move action, you "select" troop to move. You can teleport it before or after the move. Once teleported, the active troop is the one on the obelisk. So if you did left units on your pyramid, they're not in the active troop anymore, and can't teleport again. As other said, you need a power (like the power tile where you can teleport from an obelisk) to chain teleportation like you described. And that's why it's important to avoid letting the temples empty, especially in the last round.

wobblysquare wrote:
Am i mis-understanding something here?

1) In order to capture a temple you need a movement action
2) When doing a ground movement you can choose to leave/drop units along the way... BUT...
3) When teleporting you teleport a troop, there is no discussion of leaving or dropping units whilst teleporting..??

Even if you assume that you can leave one unit at source and teleport the remaining 4 as a 'troop', at that point wouldn't your movement end? If you wanted to Teleport again then as i read it you would need to select another movement action.

It would appear to me that you can drop units along the way with a ground movement - BUT multiple-teleporting requires multiple movement actions? A teleport action has ONE starting point and ONE ending point?

Happy to be corrected, but that is my understanding from reading the rules.

No you can chain teleport. It is explicitly said in the rulebook and the FAQ that the teleport does not count as a move. But as I said earlier in my post, the "active" troops will not be on a pyramid anymore, so you need a power to do it.

You could also, if you can go through city walls, teleport right next to an opponent city, move 2 spaces (with a creature or a power) to grab a level 4 pyramid (swinging 2 points from this player in your favor), then use this pyramid to teleport part of the troop onto a temple. And again, if you have the "teleport from obelisk" capacity, you can continue, by letting one unit behind you each time.

The end game rule of the expansion fixes this overpowered situation. Another way to fix it is to never let a temple undefended, and if you know there is only one person after you with a move, you should not try to take a temple from someone if you're not sure to be able to stay in it without being an easy target (ie staying with at least 4 units, or even less depending on your powers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skurr
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
What it says in the rules and i quote from page 5

"Teleporting doesn't consume any movement capacity"

Which i take to mean that you can move then teleport and then move to the limit of the movement capability. So if you were limited to 3 movement spaces you could
- move one space
- teleport (ONCE)
- and then move up to two spaces

If i wanted to move additional spaces, or teleport again i would need a second movement action !? Multiple teleports seems very over powered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skurr
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
If ruled this way then with one movement action i could capture every unoccupied temple from my pyramid, on the very first turn... surely not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter wrote:
If ruled this way then with one movement action i could capture every unoccupied temple from my pyramid, on the very first turn... surely not?

No, you could surely NOT do that on your first turn. You need to bear two things in mind:

1) Every teleport costs 2 PP (and since you begin the game with 5 PP, you would be limited to a maximum of two teleports with your movement action)

2) You may only teleport FROM a pyramid TO an obelisk. So as soon as your troop reaches the first temple, further teleports are no longer possible (because the temple is not a pyramid ). As other users have already posted, in order to "chain" teleports, you would additionally require the red power tile "Teleport" that allows your troops to be teleported FROM obelisks to obelisks.

So, actually the OP's described situation should be quite rare in my eyes and is in no way "overpowered". It requires completely blind/dumb opponents, I mean: How likely is it that one player may stockpile 9 prayer points, that same player has the "Teleport" power, that same player has a ready army of 5 units AND four temples have been left deserted by all the other players...? I say they deserve to lose in this rather spectacular way and will hopefully have learned something for the next game! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skurr
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
I think for the first turn you start the night phase with 5PP, but by the start of the first Day phase you will have 7PP, due to the additional 2 gained during the night phase. Not that that changes much in regard to this question.

Do i understand correctly that if i start in a pyramid with 5 units I can NOT pay 2PP to move 1 unit to an empty temple, AND then use another 2PP to send another unit to a DIFFERENT undefended temple....that this would constitute TWO independent move actions?

However, if i have the RED Teleport power card, and enough PP that i can teleport to Obelisks around the board, dropping one unit at each undefended temple as i go ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.