GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: F***ing useless Zman customer service rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent them a message a couple of months ago regarding Merchants&Marauders, and they never replied.
Sent them a message a week ago concerning Clash of Cultures and they just referred my e-mail to Asmodee, who just replied saying I should fill out their online form, never bothering to ANSWER the bloody question in the bloody original e-mail.
I can't believe this is the same company people say used to quickly ship out replacement yellow plastic piece sets for CoC back when it was released...
I bought the game relatively recently together with the expansion, both shrinkwrapped, only to discover that the plastic pieces were of really crappy production quality, many being defective in different ways (broken, glued together, parts missing...), especially the expansion pieces, and with many differences in color among the base game and expansion pieces. Now it seems that after spending a whole lot of money on the game already I'm going to have to pay another 17€ to get a replacement set of expansion pieces from Spielematerial, and they don't even have the boats from the base game (which also need replacing !). Plus their replacement sets came from the same factory, which obviously never heard of quality control, and so are likely to contain many defective pieces as well...
So much time and money is needed to make this one game properly usable, and if they release a new and improved version it will all be wasted...
arrrharrrharrrh

P.S.
The Asmodee part replacement online form demands "a brief description of the parts requested" in LESS THAN 200 CHARACTERS !??? I would need 200 PAGES to describe all the problems with these figures... What the hell am I supposed to describe with just 200 characters, I'm not sure even a literal list will fit into that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you find the expansion? How much did you pay for it? That thing is out of print!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for the outstanding use of English invective, very impressive if it's not your first language, top marks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you actually go to the asmodee part replacment and just type yellow plastic parrs for clash of cultures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

I can't believe this is the same company...

It's not remotely the same company. In fact nothing but the name is the same - it was sold to Filosofia who were bought by Asmodee - it's all very consistent with them, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion doesn't belong in the Clash of Cultures forum, which is meant for topics about the game itself. Reading your post I'd suggest than any of these would be more suitable:

Discussing Retailers
Z-Man Games
Asmodee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dscoBee82 wrote:
Thumbed for the outstanding use of English invective, very impressive if it's not your first language, top marks

If you're not being sarcastic thanks. And it's not my first language. I put it down to watching a lot of Cartoon Network as a kid, by the time I was ten I could speak fluent English, and by the time I was 12-13 I was reading books like LOTR and Silmarillion in English.

Sam Pak wrote:
Where did you find the expansion? How much did you pay for it? That thing is out of print!

I bought the base game together with the expansion (brand new and shrinkwrapped) last spring (2017.) from an Italian gamer/seller for 150€. Expensive but worth it, at least if the plastic figures weren't mostly defective.

scifiantihero wrote:
Did you actually go to the asmodee part replacment and just type yellow plastic parrs for clash of cultures?

No. I need many of the plastic pieces, not just yellow. Like a missing market (only the base is present), a broken barbarian horse, several horses glued together, many drunken leaning elephants and horses, boats with no sails, etc.
I sent them an e-mail asking if they have any available. They replied with a standard meaningless reply and a link to the online form. I just sent them another message repeating the original message. I'm not going to waste hours on describing and photographing all the defective pieces if they don't have any replacements (which is likely considering the year of publishing).

Sphere wrote:
This discussion doesn't belong in the Clash of Cultures forum, which is meant for topics about the game itself.

Eh it kind of does, as I'm :
a) moaning about problems with CoC component quality which are irritating me to no end
b) looking for potential advice concerning that problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Sphere wrote:
This discussion doesn't belong in the Clash of Cultures forum, which is meant for topics about the game itself.

Eh it kind of does, as I'm :
a) moaning about problems with CoC component quality which are irritating me to no end
b) looking for potential advice concerning that problem

Sounds to me like your prime topic is customer service, more specifically customer service from Z-Man and Asmodee. You mention Cultures (along with Merchants & Marauders) but you're talking about customer service issues, not the game. Your title says it all, and your post doesn't change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone here know where I could get replacement boats for the CoC base game if Asmodee doesn't have them ? Spielematerial only has plastic bits from the expansion...

I tried gluing the sails (of which almost none came attached to the boats), but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than I expected, and now most of the boats have ugly white trails of glue on the sails and sides... Which is why I'd like to replace them as well, if I can get proper replacements with sails firmly attached...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m almost certain that the sails don’t come attached, they were just pushed into place. I decided to glue all mine on. So even if you find a replacement set of ships I think you’ll have to glue them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the world coming to when a guy can’t even get a free set of replacement parts to the out of print expansion with widely known production issues he bought second hand four years after it ceased to be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above is true, but to reiterate:
Zman Games is dead in every way except name
Clash of Cultures and the expansion are both out of print
The rights to Clash of Cultures were returned to Christian Marcussen (but not the rights to minis or art), which means the game as we know it will never be printed again.

I believe there is a website floating around where you can purchase the expansion minis directly, but other than that it's Second Hand or bust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
What is the world coming to when a guy can’t even get a free set of replacement parts to the out of print expansion with widely known production issues he bought second hand four years after it ceased to be available?

So what you're saying it's completely OK to hand out perfectly good cash and get a bunch of defective crap in return ? And then it's the problem of the buyer ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
All of the above is true, but to reiterate:
Zman Games is dead in every way except name
Clash of Cultures and the expansion are both out of print
The rights to Clash of Cultures were returned to Christian Marcussen (but not the rights to minis or art), which means the game as we know it will never be printed again.

I believe there is a website floating around where you can purchase the expansion minis directly, but other than that it's Second Hand or bust.

There's games out of print for which you can get replacement parts... Of course not when the company is dead (or as good as)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE : Finally managed to get a useful reply from the Asmodee customer service saying they still have most though not all of the pieces for this game. Hopefully what they don't have I can order from SpieleMaterial.
And if I can get another set of boats I'll just have to glue those ultra-super-carefully, I don't know what else I can do seeing as they're likely to come with loose sails too...
Does it even need to be said that someone who paid a hefty amount of money for something new SHOULDN'T HAVE TO spend so much additional time, effort and money to fix it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
UPDATE : Finally managed to get a useful reply from the Asmodee customer service saying they still have most though not all of the pieces for this game. Hopefully what they don't have I can order from SpieleMaterial.
And if I can get another set of boats I'll just have to glue those ultra-super-carefully, I don't know what else I can do seeing as they're likely to come with loose sails too...
Does it even need to be said that someone who paid a hefty amount of money for something new SHOULDN'T HAVE TO spend so much additional time, effort and money to fix it ?

If you search around on the forums, there are DIY solutions to fix the yellow figure issue, involving rubbing alcohol or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:
If you search around on the forums, there are DIY solutions to fix the yellow figure issue, involving rubbing alcohol or something.

No, I know about that issue (and how to fix it), the melting yellow figures, but that was only present in the first version of the game, while I have the second printing. Which doesn't have melting figures but unfortunately has it's own quality control problems...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Moved to discussing retailers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gentry
United States
Siloam Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry Veljko! That sucks hard! Hope you get everything sorted... and not expensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.