GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Favorable setups for the different races rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
Curious to have a discussion about which VP scoring methods line up with various races. For example:

Lantids
Final scoring tiles: Strong with number of planets, number of planets in a federation. Weak with number of satellites, number of planet types, gaia planets.

Round bonuses: Ideally I like to look for bonuses for mines, especially in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Might also work well with research bonuses in the later rounds.

Advanced tech tiles: Scoring for number of mines already placed is the obviously strong one here.

Other: Lantids seem to be strong mostly as a counter pick to other races. They feel especially strong against Ivits, although with the caveat that the Ivits might place their PI far away from your initial mines which could cripple your already weak economy (matters less in larger games where you're more likely to have other opponents to facilitate your trading stations).

Firaks
Final scoring tiles: Not sure if any particular scoring tiles stands out, but they seem to be particularly weak with number of buildings/buildings in a federation, and satellites. They're mostly a tech-based race so I think they might not have any obviously strong final scoring tiles.

Round bonuses: Trading stations in the later rounds, as they can churn out 4-5 in a single round. Research can also be very powerful, especially if you make it a point to get points in the science research track early.

Advanced tech tiles: research and trading station related tech tiles seem to be obviously strong choices.

Other: I like to play Firaks as a counter pick race, like the Lantids. Ideally it seems best to tech up first before expanding too far, so if you pick them first, it seems likely that an opponent can pick brown/white races and box you in, making it prohibitively expensive to expand after you've built your infrastructure. Therefore I like to pick them as a counter to red/orange races more often than not, if the setup favors them.

These are just for a jumping off point to discuss. I play mostly 2p, so I'm sure some people's opinions differ based on number of players or their own experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
mb
Mad androids:
required:
-a black planet with another black planet in range of 3, a planet that needs only a single terraforming step (blue or white) nearby one of the 2 black planets
-free terraforming + 2 coins round booster
-opponent nearby to get at least 2 cheap trading posts
-good technology tiles: at least 3 income tiles below terraforming, diplomacy or on the bottom 3 spaces; 1 advanced technology income tile at the top of the diplomacy track

round 1:
build 2 mines (one by using QIC) + 3 trading posts; get the required ore from power action + advancing on the terraforming track
Take 3 income technology tiles and advance on the diplomacy track

round 2: research on the diplomacy track + advancing it by building the QIC-academy, score for the forderation and maybe build a mine

round 3: take the advance income tile on the technology track by building a trading post

In round 3 you will have a really high income consisting of:
-4-5 technology tiles
-level 4 on the diplomacy track
-QIC from academy -> allows you to travel with QIC
-a few buildings
-you might choose to ignore to build research labs for credits, because the income you already have it so high - that counteracts the weakness of the mad androids and you can get at least 3 forderations without ever building one of the buildings on the right side

Good round bonus tiles for this strategy are:
-round 1: 4 points for building a trading post or 2 points for advancing in research
-round 2: 5 points for building a academy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Meril wrote:
round 1:
build 2 mines (one by using QIC) + 3 trading posts; get the required ore from power action + advancing on the terraforming track
Take 3 income technology tiles and advance on the diplomacy track

???

While the income is knowledge, the Mad Androids (Bescods) don't get tech tiles for Trading Stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whats the diplomacy track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
I believe that would be Economy: the handshake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
mb
Oh, I didn't know that. Then my opening won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Unlike Terra Mystica, in Gaia project I have found that you can snowball your economy harder. This means that while having both early and late round scoring that is beneficial for your faction is great and probably necessary to achieve particularly high scores 200+, Rounds 4-6 should impact faction selection more than rounds 1-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limitless333 wrote:
Unlike Terra Mystica, in Gaia project I have found that you can snowball your economy harder. This means that while having both early and late round scoring that is beneficial for your faction is great and probably necessary to achieve particularly high scores 200+, Rounds 4-6 should impact faction selection more than rounds 1-3.

That's always been the case with TM too. In TM the round scoring for rounds 1 and 2 are not far off being totally irrelevant for faction choice. (The cult bonuses for these rounds can be very significant though - but GP has no equivalent to this. Unless you count the distribution of the tech tiles, which I am sure is crucial in GP but is of course completely independent of the round bonuses.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.