GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,929 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Kilgore Trout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have just finished playing Scenario S47 "Not So Disposed" and have originally intended to "link" this Scenario with its sister Scenario S48 "Converging Asaults". There is something about the new setup and VC that have us confused.

1) We finished S47 with an easy Italian victory. The US made a couple of poor decisions and had these doubly punished with some very lucky, clutch Italian die rolls. In the end, the US lost >10VP worth of units, triggering an automatic Italian victory.

At the end of the game, the board looked like this (cleaned up with units restored to Good Order)..

[/q]

The beginning of S48 basically states that, with the Italian "win" both sides leave their current units on the map. The U.S. can't set up adjacent to the Italians, but they both get to keep their current forces.

In S48:

* No additional US reinforcements arrive.
* The Italians now get reinforcements in the form of 12 more 3-4-6 squads, a couple of leaders, an LMG and a 45mm mtr. They also get 8 MR/35 light tanks.
* With this, the Italians win the Scenario (both, in fact) by merely occupying any building hex with 1 GO squad in Turn 6.

Do we understand this correctly? The Americans just got their clocks cleaned in S47; the reward is to play S48 with many more additional Italian reinforcements and a VC that says the Italians merely need to survive with 1 GO unit. This seems rather unbalanced; maybe this is the point, but my opponent sure isn't anxious to start S48 so far behind the 8-ball.

For those who have played these, what are we missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either scenario (of course) but it doesn't seem to me that you've missed anything.

Possibly there's something "critical" missing from the VC, such as, the Italians must occupy a building hex that the Americans start off controlling, or something like that. As written, it's hard to see how the US can succeed. (Having said that, the completely free nature of the US setup, aside from the "no adjacent" restriction, does make the Italian setup rather important.)

I guess that "obviously" if the Italians have done amazingly well in the first scenario, playing out the second is probably going to be a waste of time. More interesting, maybe, if it was a much closer result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to read your AAR on this to see how a bunch of Italian 3-3-6's got the drop on all of those 6-6-7's and 7-4-7 Assault Engineers with a smoke exponent of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.