GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: so what IS BGG.con really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Maas
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok... Is it just a big open play area? Are there new games demos? I live in Austin and really want to go but I'm just not clear on what it actually is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Diceychic had a write-up from last year.

BGG.CON 2017 — Part 1
BGG.CON 2017 — Part 2

Short version
24 hours/day gaming spaces.
Hot Games Area
6000+ title library (free to attendees to check out)
[/imageid]
75+ exhibitors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more photo that I think shows off the con: a panorama of the main gaming hall. This will either excite you or scare you off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jasonpmaas wrote:
Ok... Is it just a big open play area? Are there new games demos? I live in Austin and really want to go but I'm just not clear on what it actually is...

If only there were some forum with lots of threads one could read about what BGG.CON is like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been going every year since 2006. It is a bloody good time that I have made very good friends with over that time that I only see then. Well worth both the ticket and the plane ticket price too me (and hotel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not what it was originally...

Is now, "a thing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonpmaas wrote:

I'm from Austin too! Went last year and will probably go every year that I can! So much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.c Cranium
United States
flag msg tools
Is there tournaments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craniumprodigy wrote:
Is there tournaments?

There are a few small ones but it's mostly an open play con or prescheduled games (if you want to organize a scheduled event) con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody has mentioned there are also a couple dozen smaller rooms with six or so tables each that can be used for a quieter gaming experience (like if you focused on a game of Dominant Species or Arkham Horror with all the expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
Nobody has mentioned there are also a couple dozen smaller rooms with six or so tables each that can be used for a quieter gaming experience (like if you focused on a game of Dominant Species or Arkham Horror with all the expansions).

Shhhhhhhhh...... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Hot Games" area mentioned by Aldie (whom I thank for putting on such a great convention!) is where the top games from the October Essen "Spiel" (a massive trade show held in Germany, with hundreds of new releases) are made available for people to try out. The games that are in the "Hot Games" room are selected by BGG attendees in a poll that will be posted here shortly after the Essen convention. (The exhibit hall at Essen is several times the size of that at GenCon.)

Some of the Essen releases will be available for purchase - note that one vendor who previously supplied a large number of those releases has reverted to a "brick and mortar" (store front only) operation; this may have some effect on what's available. The more popular ones will likely sell out quickly.

There are some demos held in the exhibit hall (aka "dealer room") - the aforementioned "Hot Games" room is also a good place to see the new stuff.

There are a few tournaments as well - No-Limit Texas Hold 'em, Tichu, Crokinole and a team trivia (game-show style) event are among them.

Pre-scheduled games: You'll find posts here starting in about two or three weeks (after the USA Labor Day holiday) asking for sign-ups. These will typically be longer games (18xx, Die Macher, Twilight Imperium and so on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonpmaas wrote:

When I originally got into modern board gaming I used to jokingly scoff that "at least I'm not going to conventions"...well...BGG.CON has become a huge part of my annual plans.

Its got a little bit of everything - but most important, its a large group of really fun and welcoming folks that makes walking up to a table of total random strangers and asking if they have an open seat AWESOME! (They even have cool signs on tables ASKING for players [and teachers!]).

Make it a point to come up to the Big D and check it out if you can - well worth the effort IMHO.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the DFW area and since it's basically local, this is the only convention I can afford to go to. My one and only convention experience was BGG.con last year, and I couldn't wait for March to come so I could buy my ticket for this year. Now it's less than three months away and I'm counting the days...it was a truly awesome experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.