GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Character question for two people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I realize there are a ton of messages but instead of searching through them all, I was hoping I could just ask a simple question.

1) My wife and I will be starting this game soon and she likes to play a character who is not front line (either a wizard but usually a ranger with a ranged weapon). What is the best character for her?

2) I figure since she is in the back I should be a tank which means I should be a brunt, correct?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan M
msg tools
My brother and I are playing Spellweaver and Cragheart, which seems to be a fantastic combination! The Spellweaver is ranged and stays out of the way while the Cragheart is versatile, but can do tanking when necessary. I'd definitely suggest this combo for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Spellweaver and Tinkerer can both fit that.

Brute or Cragheart both pair well with either.

There isn't a traditional ranged weapon user in the starting classes, unfortunately. I'd view it as a little bit of a failing myself.

Nothing worth worry over though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it has to be a wizard/ranger, then the spellweaver, if it can be a support, we had good luck with Brute/Tinkerer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tinkerer can do ranged damage and heal, so she/he/it (I'm not sure how the Quatryl work) would complement the Brute nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly ranged
Tinkerer
Spellweaver

Can be ranged or melee
Cragheart

Mostly melee
Brute
Scoundrel
Mindthief

-----

For the second question, you may find that no one character should be taking all of the damage, and every class has its own way of mitigating damage. Brute is the tankiest, with repeatable abilities that add shield and the perk that allows him to wear Hide Armor without penalty. Cragheart is second, with Retaliate abilities (but no shield abilities for itself), and that same perk. Surprisingly, Spellweaver can do a bit of tanking, with lose cards. Scoundrel has one underrated card that lets her take one hit no matter how big (or small) it is, so she can tank occasionally. Tinkerer can heal after taking a hit. Mindthief has an augment that could give her 2-3 shields, but she generally won't use that in favor of putting out more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven's characters only partly fit into the standard RPG character spectrum. While the Brute can take the most damage of all the starting characters, he is not a tank in the traditional sense, and if you think his job is to stand in the front line taking all the damage, you will die quickly.
The game is about killing enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible, which sometimes means it's a better idea to stay out of enemy range even with your melee characters.

That being said, the Spellweaver is the purest ranged attacker of the starting six characters; be aware that she has a rather unique way of managing her cards.
The Tinkerer has some ranged attacks as well, but has a much stronger healing and support focus.
The Cragheart has a little bit of everything, which makes it very versatile, but also not the easiest to play.
There is no ranger-ish character - at least not among the starting six...

Also, you do not need a "tank" to complement a ranged attacker, the characters are mostly versatile enough that you can adapt to the party combination through good use of your actions. The one character combination I would avoid is Spellweaver/Scoundrel: the Spellweaver is a squishy ranged attacker while the Scoundrel is a semi-squishy melee character that benefits from having other melee attackers in her party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Let her take the Cragheart. He can do both, but has a lot more health and cards than the Spellweaver. The SW is a lot more difficult to play, so it is an ideal 2nd character.

This leaves a Brute, Mindthief or Scoundrel for you.

Edit: I did not test it yet, but as the Tinkerer is considered a supporting character, he seems not to be a good idea for a team of 2.
Scoundrel and Cragheart is fun! I did that for 12+ scenarios with a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoundrel tanks by running up and murdering dudes wholesale. If they aren't alive they can't hurt you.

That said, avoid leather armor. Get some nice boots instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
Let her take the Cragheart. He can do both, but has a lot more health and cards than the Spellweaver. The SW is a lot more difficult to play, so it is an ideal 2nd character.

This leaves a Brute, Mindthief or Scoundrel for you.

Edit: I did not test it yet, but as the Tinkerer is considered a supporting character, he seems not to be a good idea for a team of 2.
Scoundrel and Cragheart is fun! I did that for 12+ scenarios with a friend.

My wife's tinker did a good job in 2p. He's versitile. His little bit can help draw aggro at the right times, and he can thrkw out some hits when he needs to. That huge hand size is dreamy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adira wrote:
My brother and I are playing Spellweaver and Cragheart, which seems to be a fantastic combination! The Spellweaver is ranged and stays out of the way while the Cragheart is versatile, but can do tanking when necessary. I'd definitely suggest this combo for you guys.

This is exactly what I did as well. My wife was Spellweaver. I enjoyed this, but will also point out that the Cragheart is an interesting character for a lot of reasons, you could technically build him toward ranged attacks, which is cool.

That said, my Cragheart has since retired and my wife and I are both now "squishy" characters. She is still a Spellweaver (for a little bit yet) and I am a non-starter guy who also doesn't have much for HP. It has worked out relatively well this way too. We focus on keeping enemies at range and it kind of works out.

I think you might have a good idea though. I would push for one big guy and one little one for the start. For the ranged, lighter character, I would lean Spellweaver or maybe Scoundrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently playing Brute and Cragheart in a solo campaign and I recommend it with an asterisk.

For the most part I use the Brute as a Tank and the Cragheart for ranged and healing. But the Crageheart can Tank in pinch.

I really like this pair they are both fun. But you need to know that you will not have Summoning or invisibility. Which are two fun parts of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tinkerer is a bit less effective in two player. It's stronger on three or four player. If you do want a Tinkerer, then the best combo with it would be a Brute. Mindthief is stronger on two player where its lack of multi target attacks is not a problem.

I would recommend a Spellweaver & Mindthief duo. It'll be a bit hard at first, but once you learn to not get hit, it will be a ton of fun. Invisibility Cloak, Invisibility (from a card action for Mindthief), juggling initiative, and stunning/disarming/immobilizing enemies are all ways to avoid damage. I was able to get the hang of not getting hit as a Mindthief in my second scenario. It's not that hard to learn.

Other good options would be Cragheart & Mindthief, Spellweaver & Brute, or Cragheart & Brute.

The Scoundrel will not work well unless it is paired with another melee such as the Brute or Mindthief.

Edit: Or you could go with two ranged guys and do Cragheart & Spellweaver. That's also a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cragheart is mostly ranged and a lot of fun. Seems like the perfect character for your wife to play.
You can combo it with any of the other 5. Scoundrel requires a bit more coordination than the others, but any combo will be strong. Play whatever you prefer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, I am basically looking for the character that will be the most fun for my wife.

I am fine with playing anything.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
jonpfl wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I am basically looking for the character that will be the most fun for my wife.

I am fine with playing anything.

Thx
jonpfl

Cragheart might be the most fun. They have the widest range of possible actions and abilities, and they get to do stuff with obstacles. The downside is that they tend to have slow initiative and have to play after everyone else fairly often. So your wife might get frustrated if her plans don't work out because of what your character does and what the enemies do. The Cragheart also often wants to go up into melee range, it's not a traditional ranged attacker.

The Spellweaver is a much more traditional ranged attacker, and it has a useful ranged attacking summon that they get to use. It's squishier and is more complicated to learn for hand management because of Reviving Ether. But of the two classes, I'd rather play the Spellweaver.

You could choose to do a Cragheart & Spellweaver duo (it is definitely viable), and you guys can swap characters and try each one until you guys figure out which characters each of you likes more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Eaton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cragheart is a little easier to play than the spellweaver when you start out. Spellweaver is a bit more complex. All characters have some range and some melee though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Most fun" is tricky and very much dependent on personal taste. My personal fun-o-meter of the starting classes is: Cragheart > Mindthief > Brute > Spellweaver > Scoundrel > Tinkerer. But I know there are some Tinkerer lovers out there.

Stubacca47 wrote:
Cragheart is a little easier to play than the spellweaver when you start out. Spellweaver is a bit more complex.

I disagree with this. The Spellweaver has a unique quirk in hand management, but apart from that, her cards are all very straight-forward. I have seen several people (myself included) struggling with the Cragheart at the start because it lacks a clear focus and because its initiative values are rather low, meaning that you often have to adapt and improvise once your turn comes around. Its versatility makes it the most fun character for me, but it takes time to learn how to play it effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Most characters work well together, except...

Spellweaver and Scoundrel are the worst starting combo. Spellweaver never wants to be adjacent to an enemy. Most of the early Scoundrel cards get great bonuses when an enemy is adjacent to your ally.

You can play these two, but Scoundrel (probably the most powerful of the starting classes) loses most of his value with this combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.