GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,435 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Black Sonata» Forums » Rules

Subject: Updating the Dark Lady's location after searching for her rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Weber
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

After you have been searching for the Dark Lady, you advance the stealth deck by a number of cards equal to the number N of clue cards you have, and you are careful not to look at the backs of the cards you move to the bottom of the deck; that is clear.

But at this point your turn ends, and at the beginning of the next turn, you update the Dark Lady's location, so the icon you have just seen will disappear below the deck. Does it make sense to see that icon? Or should you combine the end of the search for the Dark Lady with her next move, by taking N+1 card to the bottom of the deck, and skip the first step of the turn?

And while I'm at it, once you search for the Dark Lady you discard the corresponding stealth card, so the next time you go through this part of the deck, the Lady will skip one location on the map, despite the rules' statement “She will never jump between locations that are not joined by a line on the game board”. Did I get it right?

Great game by the way, the location cards with a hole are a really clever idea, I love it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi Matthieu, thanks for checking out the game!

noursy wrote:
After you have been searching for the Dark Lady, you advance the stealth deck by a number of cards equal to the number N of clue cards you have, and you are careful not to look at the backs of the cards you move to the bottom of the deck; that is clear.

But at this point your turn ends, and at the beginning of the next turn, you update the Dark Lady's location, so the icon you have just seen will disappear below the deck. Does it make sense to see that icon? Or should you combine the end of the search for the Dark Lady with her next move, by taking N+1 card to the bottom of the deck, and skip the first step of the turn?

This is a case where I opted to keep the rules as simple as possible. I did agonise over it for a while, but in the end I decided to avoid as many special situations and rule exceptions as possible.

Thematically, the Lady is running away when she realises you are hunting her, so it probably doesn't matter that you get a clue right before she next moves. Notice that if it's the first time you try, and you fail, she just moves like normal (because you have no clues yet, so she doesn't skip ahead), which makes sense because she wouldn't yet realise that you are looking for her...

Anyway, you are free to "house rule" this however you like. But be aware that your N+1 variation may make the game ever so slightly harder. The bottom line is for you to have fun, and if this helps then go for it!

noursy wrote:
And while I'm at it, once you search for the Dark Lady you discard the corresponding stealth card, so the next time you go through this part of the deck, the Lady will skip one location on the map, despite the rules' statement "She will never jump between locations that are not joined by a line on the game board". Did I get it right?

You actually replace the stealth card with a fog card, so the Lady still follows the same path - you just can't search for her in that spot any more. That's to avoid just nabbing her in the same place each time you go through the deck. So it's still true that she never jumps between non-joined locations. It's just that you cannot intercept her in some places any more.

noursy wrote:
Great game by the way, the location cards with a hole are a really clever idea, I love it :)

Thanks - it was definitely a fun one to design! Lots of hard technical challenges and I'm really pleased that I managed to find some simple-ish mechanisms that work.

If you haven't already, please think about rating the game on its database page. It's currently on 28 ratings and just needs 2 more before it is "officially ranked" on BGG, so your rating would make a difference!

Cheers!
JK
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some of these same questions so this post and answers were helpful as I play my first game of Black Sonata!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing and love your game! The mechanics and theme are clever and fun!

I thought for sure I had found the dark lady only to be shocked when I turned over the card to discover I was wrong! WHAT?! After looking at the clue cards again I realized my mistake. I forgot that one of the clues was 0/2 (zero in common or exactly two). I knew that at first but at some point during my excited deductions I forgot that and messed up. blush

I was mad at myself for making such a dumb mistake and wanted to play again right away but I have to get to bed. I hope to have time to try again tomorrow.

However, I have a question:

After revealing one or more clue cards, if you search for the Dark Lady and DON'T find her you still advance the deck for each clue card, correct? That's how it appears with the way the rules are laid out. Basically, after finding her the first time she knows you're seeking her, and when you search for her it's like she's "hearing" rumors of your seeking and keeps moving.

That's how I played it, although I found her each time I searched so either way I was fine for my first game.

Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback. It's really helpful to hear where players do and don't go wrong in their initial explorations.

You are correct about advancing the deck irrespective of whether you were right or wrong.

Better luck with your next attempt!

Cheers,
JK
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback. It's really helpful to hear where players do and don't go wrong in their initial explorations.

You are correct about advancing the deck irrespective of whether you were right or wrong.

Better luck with your next attempt!

Cheers,
JK

Hi John,

You're welcome! I just played my second game and I won! I did not play the easy level and my score, if calculated correctly, was 45 as follows:
Stealth Deck Cards (on top of the # card) = 13
1 on #Card = 26
3 Fog Cards = 6

I was thrilled to correctly deduce the Black Lady, who was Emilia this game, and look forward to future deductions and attempts with a higher score/difficulty.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sroka
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I had a similar question, and your answer helped. I realized that I didn't get the idea that after you found a clue, she was "running away". When the rules say to move the number of cards equal to the clues you have to the bottom, it messed up my knowledge of where she was -- and that's the point! ("The game's afoot", to mix backstories.) Once you explained that, everything made sense.

Very fun, very clever game. Quite enjoying it!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.