GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,972 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King» Forums » General

Subject: Random Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Smeraldo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
First off I just wanted to say that I think this game is great after only playing a couple of times. Each time was unique and everyone had a ton of fun. Now I just have a couple of questions after these playtroughs. I'm sorry if these have already been posted but I couldn't find them in other discussions.

1) Can bosses be effected by conditions or are they immune? I was playing as the Beast Master and through some quest had acquired the Storm Wolves which have the ability to freeze a target. To my understanding after using Call of the Wild I can determine what moves the monster makes so I would normally initiate with this. And for context Frozen reads like this "Frozen heroes cannot act. Roll Survival during the declaration phase of each round of combat. After two successes you may act normally and are no longer frozen." So does this apply to enemies and bosses or no because they're not 'heroes'. Also I know enemies automatically succeed skill rolls so if they could be frozen, do they essentially have 1 round where they can't act, because on the second success they would be unfrozen and act as normal (assuming I didn't use the storm wolves ability that applies frozen again)

2) Has there been any consensus on an appropriate time to scale difficulty? Each time we've played it seems like it starts very hard with people coming close to starving or a simple encounter could easily turn sideways and almost wipe us, but then towards the end it seems like not even bosses pose a problem. Has anyone experimented with scaling the difficulty based on how many upgrade cards you've received? I think this will be my next approach but I feel like finding those numbers of when to up it might take some playthroughs.

3) How do you you determine what races to play as? Do you take the time to look through them or do you pick at random? So far when picking characters, we'll start with class. Then from there go through their abilities and try and pick a race that boosts the appropriate stats for our playstyle as well as having a food rating we're comfortable with.

Again, I'm sorry if these questions have been asked in other threads. Just looking for some clarification as well as other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Loos

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
Thanks for the questions!
1. If in the condition explaination it says 'Heroes'it only applies to heroes. There are a few conditions that will say 'Targets' which can affect encounters and bosses. E.g. 'Bleeding targets....' vs 'Frozen heroes...'

2. You can try doing every x amount of power ups, but depending on the group size, this number would likely vary. Every 5-8 power ups per person could be a reasonable amount to start with.

3. This is completely up to you, random or choice. Just note that the Hexclusive races and the Young Gold Dragon are stronger than normal races, so they may help if you want to increase the difficulty more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Smeraldo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure to pay attention to those during our next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.