GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board game setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
None, I pay attention to set up time when purchasing ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Set up and table space are a deterrent on some of my games that I'd otherwise play more often. These typically only get out of their boxes if I'm at a group event: Anachrony, Scythe, Great Western Trail, Gallerist, Merchant of Venus ...and Lisboa will belong on that list once it gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you include explaining the rules in setup? cause my crowd can't stand rules longer than 10 seconds... so my non-soloable games kinda take too long to setup indeed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set Up is no big deal, rule length is to the extent that if i lose interest i will fall asleep. map square footage can be a problem. Wacht am Rhein will never get played short of renting a gym for a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora
It would probably be played x5 more if it had a quick set up and quick round changes.
My wife and I like it but we only played it twice in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's several games that I all "event" games because you have to explicitly set aside time for them. Much of that is due to set up and tear down. The ones I have that fit that bill are Arcadia Quest, Gloomhaven, the Colonists, Eclipse, and TI4, to name a few. I'm one of those that invests in the wooden inserts to make set up times shorter and make everything fit in the box more easily.

One game I actually haven't played in awhile is Among the Stars, which has a much longer setup than I usually like for that weight and length of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven, far far more than any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejo Vega
Argentina
Cipolletti
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a good insert... and all your set up problems will disappear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alejo4 wrote:
a good insert... and all your set up problems will disappear...

I wouldn't say disappear. Perhaps something more like "greatly diminish."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me too much. Almost every time I'll set the game up the night before to save time, so a bigger setup is no big deal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't really think of any. The games that I enjoy that have long setups (Relic, Forbidden Stars, Eldritch Horror) also have long playtimes, and that's the part that makes them stay on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ninurta wrote:
Which of your boardgames are taking dust on your shelf not because you don't like 'em, but because of the too long setup of the game?

None. The biggest factor for me is play time. My least played games are usually also the longest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Gloomhaven, far far more than any other game.

This, absolutely.

Though I ended up disliking enough of the game that I would've ditched it either way, the setup time is absolutely ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None. Why would anyone even bother with this hobby if that was a problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not that I don't play it because of set up time, but it sometimes feels to me that a session of Hey, That's My Fish! takes longer to set up than it does to actually finish the game.

or maybe we just aren't clever enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Well, it's not that I don't play it because of set up time, but it sometimes feels to me that a session of Hey, That's My Fish! takes longer to set up than it does to actually finish the game.

or maybe we just aren't clever enough

"Setup" even takes too long on Yucata versus playing the game!

Yes, I realize setting up your position isn't exactly the same thing as a traditional setup, but my feelings on the matter stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add another vote for Gloomhaven. I made a foamboard insert because the set up time was driving me crazy. It still takes a few minutes, but not nearly as long as it used to when everything was in bags.

Another one that bothers me is Istanbul. With both expansions there are a lot of little bags (I haven't made an insert for it yet). It's not excessive compared with other games, but considering how quickly it plays, the time for setup/takedown is a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup is simply yet another variable in whether or not a game wants to get played. On 1 hand, if folks really enjoy a game, they'll go through the hassles to set it up. OTOH, setup can push the required time back enough that it's not feasible anymore.

For the former, I tell others who'll play in the game to get in on setup. If they don't know how many tokens there should be, where pieces go, they can at least sort bits by type/denomination, and shuffle cards. Or, give them a rulebook/start guide to follow

For the latter, if a game's setup means the game will take an extra 20 minutes, but the venue'll close by then, then it's a no go. OTOH, setup has worked out well in one case where my game group calls me about my ETA. I tell them it's about 20 minutes, in which case, it works out, as it'll take about that much time to set up the game, and to teach the newbie the game (or provide a rules refresher).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am that odd type who LIKES setup. Magic Realm takes 30-60 min to setup. But I like it. Its theraputic. Sort of zen-like manipulating the pieces that will determine my fate. Stack the treasures, hide the warning chits, build the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle.

Set up is a bit lengthy, but there's also probably a bit of dread factor there because of game length as well. It's a great game, but it turns out I would rather a game end in about an hour or so. I didn't realise that when I bought it. We do still sometimes play it though. Sometimes. Well, occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted talbot

Three rivers
Michigan
msg tools
mb
Marvel legendary for sure.

Very fun game, but the setup and tear down makes me hesitant to pull it out. Also bad shuffling can lead to a pretty miserable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garandguy989 wrote:
Marvel legendary for sure.

Very fun game, but the setup and tear down makes me hesitant to pull it out. Also bad shuffling can lead to a pretty miserable game.

The set up doesn't bother me because I like the game so much, but I have lost a solo game without playing a card from my hand (versus Dark Phoenix in Advanced Solo Mode, she drew three Master Strikes on the first turn and destroyed the Hero deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Obligatory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninurta wrote:
Which of your boardgames are taking dust on your shelf not because you don't like 'em, but because of the too long setup of the game?

Some of my games actually get MORE play time because of their long setup/breakdown times. For example, I prefer to play with MY copy of Scythe, which just jumbles all the resources into one big bag, half of which is poured onto each side of the table. Inserts have been tossed and each faction's components are jumbled into large zip bags. So, setup time and breakdown for MY game is 1/3 that of my conformist/structured friends' copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.