GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Black Orchestra» Forums » General

Subject: Is 45-75 playtime accurate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now it might’ve just been due to first game slowness, but we were a good hour into the game and still in the second stage. Our final playtime ended up being 2 1/2 hours for our first playthrough. It would seem that even after we’ve got all the actions down and we’re moving efficiently through our turns that hitting the 45-75 minute playtime would be impossible.

Have others had the same experience? The game is tense and thematic and we still enjoyed ourselves, but it’ll definitely hit the table more often if it truly plays in the pandemic-esque range of 45-60 minutes. If we’re a total outlier then I might double-check that we didn’t massively play a rule wrong.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor MV
Spain
flag msg tools
Do you reveal an event card after the turn of every player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And did you remove two event cards from each of the seven decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do get better at this game at more plays. Getting better can equate to shorter games.

If you are going to win, very often (not always), it's going to be before the later event cards are being drawn.

See if you guys can try and roll for a plot card while you are still in 3 or 4 event deck and hopefully before Hitlers military support gets super high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lado_oskuro wrote:
Do you reveal an event card after the turn of every player?

Good thought, but yes we did remember to flip an event after each player's turn. The player turn aid on the board really helped us remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
And did you remove two event cards from each of the seven decks?

Yes, remembered to do this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the 1st edition several times, I would say no, 2-2.5 hours is more typical (barring short games via early defeats). With fewer players and some experience 75-90 minutes is doable, but not what I'd expect regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentzen wrote:
Having played the 1st edition several times, I would say no, 2-2.5 hours is more typical (barring short games via early defeats). With fewer players and some experience 75-90 minutes is doable, but not what I'd expect regularly.

Ok, that seems more like it. Thanks for chiming in.

Also, this might be relevant but by complete chance we happened to discard the Key Event cards from both Stages 1 & 2 during setup, which meant every Event card was played during those first two Stages. I noticed some Event cards have a yellow header that instructs you to discard and draw another Event card if the Key Event is in play. I can imagine this accelerating the game a decent amount if the Key Events are drawn early in the stages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
What game's advertised play time is ever accurate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
What game's advertised play time is ever accurate?

Not many, but it still doesn’t hurt to ask, if for no other reason than to double-check you didn’t misinterpret a major rule. I re-read the rule book tonight so I know we’re good there. In reality it’s probably a combination of factors and with subsequent plays it’ll play faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream I dream alone is reality.
badge
When I cease to dream, you cease to exist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my first play this weekend. It ran just under 90 minutes for 3 new players. We finished with 1 card left in stage 4.

I think any game that relies so heavily on dice rolls for the overall outcome is going to vary WILDLY on playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
first solo play, 2 characters, ended in 40 minutes with a very badly timed Gestapo raid placing all in prison... I had the shot early on in Stage 2 and didn't attempt it... everything went bad and I never recovered... how sad... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.