GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,436 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Crisis» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is this a viable winning strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend at my game group says he's found what appears to be a guaranteed winning strategy in Crisis. I disagree, but I've not played it enough to know whether it would actually work (at least reliably).

Anyone else seen this kind of strategy work:

In rounds 1 and possibly 2, you choose not to invest in the (low level) buildings and concentrate instead on obtaining a load of employees (taking foreign employees if needed) and resources to use for the better buildings that come out in later rounds. Also grab 1st place when possible to get the best pick of what you want in subsequent rounds.

Most people will want to create a VP buffer at the start to shore-up the economy, so you have a bit of space to basically ignore your own VP level, plus the starting economy level is high enough that the market is unlikely to crash within the first two rounds.

Round 2 or 3, you THEN invest in the better buildings that are available, you have the employees and resources to drive them, and it allows you to jump your VP points ahead of everyone else very quickly. Their engines are weaker and you have manipulated the market to make it hard for them to catch quickly.

In theory, your lack of VP-gain in the first round or two will also pull Axia down to near the brink of collapse by round 3 or so, and your late-rush on VPs means you will be ahead of the financial target while the others are just behind, and if the economy then crashes, you'll win an early-game-end because of it.

So my issues with the above are:
- Relies on specific and decent employees coming out in the first two rounds.
- Relies on decent buildings coming out in rounds 2 and 3.
- Relies on no one else grabbing 1st place during the first two rounds.
- Relies on no one else getting more VPs than you within the few rounds the economy is afloat.
- Even if the employees and buildings come out and you grab them when needed, other players can block you by going to certain worker spots first (especially if you're last in turn order in a 5-player game).

But, assuming things do happen to come out in your favour, could the strategy work? My friend is convinced its so viable that it makes the game 'broken' (although I've yet to play him at the game myself, and yet to try the strategy myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your friend means "Is it ok to not score VPs/buy a company on ROund 1" the answer is yes. You should not buy a crappy company on round 1 just so you bought something. If you can set up a food engine or a money engine or an energy buffer which you'll undoubtedly need later, then do it, otherwise hanging back 1 round is the way to go.

If your friend means "Can i hang back for 3-4 rounds setting up a big buffer for a huge VP jump?" then the answer is no. The economy will crash especially on harder difficulties very fast for that. Plus level II buildings come out on round 4. So "his favourite level I building" could come out anytime round 1-3.

If he is asking "Will I win if I mostly only buy companies that are good for my engine, grab as many employees as I can, have a spare resource or two to make sure i can run my engine when it's stable, and steal the first player spot exactly when I can benefit the most?" then the answer is a resounding yes. That is called playing well.

And don't forget about the manager icons. Sometimes you want to invest in a less-than-critical building early, just to get your 5th manager out by round 3 if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David, some salient points there!

No doubt he hasn't actually succeeded in using this strategy himself but just observed others apparently using it and concluded it was a broken strategy. But I couldn't say. I'll ask him about all your points when next I see him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with David.

In general it is not wise to invest in a random company at the first rounds without having a plan. On the other hand, if you wait to get a better company later it may be difficult to set up a production chain quickly.
Your friend gives priority on getting employees and that is correct, but if you get a cheap company on the first rounds this will help you set up a powefull priduction chain later (e.g. mines + factory, farm + resorts, e.t.c.). Keep in mind that you do not need to activate the building at every round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.