GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,486 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Next War: Poland» Forums » Rules

Subject: naval rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm playing the standard game. After a lot of comings and goings, NATO controls every single Sea Zone and Inshore Box, and the two Russian SAGs were forced to retreat, from the Southern Baltic, to the Kaliningrad Inshore box.

1-after a Sea Control roll, NATO gained also control of the Kaliningrad inshore box, can the Russians retreat into the Kaliningrad port?

2- assuming the answer to #1 is yes, the Russian SAG's are sitting on both Kaliningrad ports, and a bunch of NATO units followed, and this is the end result:

so what is next in terms on naval combat? is there any way for the Russian units to be destroyed? What are the uses of the NATO naval units from this point on?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi2b wrote:
this is the end result:

I think naval units must occupy all-sea hexes, and therefore cannot be located in a coastal-hex (unless occupying a friendly port). The USN CVN and one of the USN SAGs are probably illegally placed in the photo above. I'm unsure about the other USN SAG because I don't know if the greyed-out "Vistula Sand Spit" constitutes a coastal-hex or not.

jedi2b wrote:
is there any way for the Russian units to be destroyed?
You should still be able to target them with cruise-missiles or air-strikes. Naval units in port are always considered to be "area-detected".

jedi2b wrote:
What are the uses of the NATO naval units from this point on?
They can still provide support to land combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply.

-I'm still playing the standard game, there are no strikes or missiles that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong
-All the NATO SAGs have a combat support range of 1. If they can't be on a coastal hex, how can they provide combat support at all? (as they need to be adjacent to the combat as per range = 1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi2b wrote:
I'm still playing the standard game, there are no strikes or missiles that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong
I see. I suggest trying out the advanced rules, that's when the game really shines.

jedi2b wrote:
All the NATO SAGs have a combat support range of 1. If they can't be on a coastal hex, how can they provide combat support at all? (as they need to be adjacent to the combat as per range = 1)
They could if the land combat is in a coastal hex. An allied SAG in hex 2003 could provide support to the three adjacent coastal hexes (Sopot, Gdynia, and hex 1902). But yes, their range is not great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
kubaman wrote:
jedi2b wrote:
I'm still playing the standard game, there are no strikes or missiles that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong
I see. I suggest trying out the advanced rules, that's when the game really shines.

I'm going slowly through the advanced rules, trying to gather the courage to try them out as soon as the Russians finally crush NATO on my current game... anytime now.

kubaman wrote:
jedi2b wrote:
All the NATO SAGs have a combat support range of 1. If they can't be on a coastal hex, how can they provide combat support at all? (as they need to be adjacent to the combat as per range = 1)
They could if the land combat is in a coastal hex. An allied SAG in hex 2003 could provide support to the three adjacent coastal hexes (Sopot, Gdynia, and hex 1902). But yes, their range is not great.

It never crossed my mind to have land battles on coastal hexes. You are totally right. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.