GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,485 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was to close a rather large loophole in the marriage laws in Tennessee

Quote:
Democrat co-sponsor Rep. Darren Jernigan found a state loophole in February that gave a judge the ability to grant marriages to underage minors with no minimum age limit, the Tennessean reported.

In 2016, 42 men and 166 women under the age of 18 were married in Tennessee, the Tennessean reported.

Nonprofit group Unchained at Last says it has found at least three marriages in Tennessee involving a child as young as 10 years old, but state officials have disputed that claim.

Jernigan and other supporters of the bill say the loophole led the female minors being married to significantly older men where they face higher chances of being abused

But then this action was taken

Quote:
Republican House Majority Leader Glen Casada was convinced to send the bill to summer study in the House Civil Justice Subcommittee after an email from attorney and former state Sen. David Fowler, The Tennessean reported on Wednesday.

Summer study is a place where bills often die before they return for debate, effectively killing the bill’s chances to be passed.

And the reasons for this action are fairly f'ed up, but for an unexpected reason.

Quote:
Fowler’s email said he is preparing a lawsuit to counter the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to legalize gay marriage in the 2015 case of Obergefell v. Hodges.

Fowler is arguing that the Supreme Court’s ruling essentially nullified all Tennessee marriage licenses when it opened the spectrum of legal marriage open beyond just a man and a woman, the Tennessean reported.

If Tennessee was to ban child marriages by modifying state marriage law, lawmakers would be acknowledging the existence of gay marriage, according to Fowler’s legal theory.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/377367-tennessee-gop...

Yup. The Tennessee GOP is going to not going to outlaw child marriages because it may interfere with a legal challenge to same sex marriage. Nice reminder that while Trump is a rather large target, the GOP as a whole seems to be rather vile despicable human beings on their own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS!!!

This is the kind of shit that makes my blood boil! BassAcwards are conservatives (or THESE ones in particular) are what make me sick to my stomach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Lauzon

Montreal
Quebec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They must have missed this...

https://www.unicef.org/media/media_102735.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to marry them young to get them into crisis actor school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its all part of southern "courtship culture".

Don't mess with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget their southern brother.

After outrage over Kentucky's 'child bride' bill, the revised plan is now on to the Senate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennessee. Proudly upholding the tradition of a shotgun wedding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Talk about cutting off your nose to marry your 12-year-old cousin to her own uncle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
How else is Trump going to find next years wife?

After all he has to buy american this time due to #MAGA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, look at those Muslims with their child brides, mysoginy, homophobia and backwards attitude towards science. It's terrible, I tell you shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ah, the religious "right." Always against something, never for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it's really only gay people getting married that will ruin the sacrament of traditional marriage. Not, like, child brides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.