GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,895 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dry Erase Marker Board for teaching games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Leuzinger

Baraboo
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all, I am considering using a small dry erase marker board on a stand at the end of the table with teaching new games and curious if anyone has implemented in to their teaching?

I was thinking of after going thru the rules and all, writing the game end condition and objective on the board so that all can look at and be reminded of what their goal is and when the game will end.

My hope is to have fewer "you didn't tell me that" and fewer "crap the game should have ended 2 rounds ago so I think you won"

A game that stands out in my head is Chicago Express where I always forget what triggers the game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caffeine Buz wrote:
I was thinking of after going thru the rules and all, writing the game end condition and objective on the board so that all can look at and be reminded of what their goal is and when the game will end.
I prefer printing out cheat sheets that include this information as well as the turn structure, possible actions, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Caffeine Buz wrote:
I prefer printing out cheat sheets that include this information as well as the turn structure, possible actions, etc.

Yes, definitely check the files section of the games you're considering - there are lots of excellent player aids for things like "available actions," "turn structure," "victory conditions" that make great handouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Leuzinger

Baraboo
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My thoughts on the dry erase board is that there would be a big spot everyone can see and can be changed from game to game. Regardless of game everyone knows where to look to find the info.

If a game has player aids, I definitely pass those out, but in a list of info created by different people for each game it can be lost and I find some people dont refer to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Caffeine Buz wrote:

Yeah I have noticed a lot of games provide a card or sheet for this, but not always...

Hah, Black Orchestra has the rules printed on board itself and it takes up like a 1/3 of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.