GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,436 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for 7 players: details in opening post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Players

My Collection: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/killerjoe1962?own=...

Myself, my wife, her adult daughter & her husband have played many board games with me and are aware of the vast majority of my games in my collection.

They have invited us to introduce some games to a couple and one of the couple's friend. The female of the couple (Liz) has played Catan, Lords of Waterdeep and Dominion with my wife's daughter & her husband and is aware of the board game hobby but her boyfriend and her room mate (female) are only aware of the common board games we all know such as Life, Monopoly, Clue, etc...according to my wife's daughter.

They know I am bringing some games for them to play that they may not know...here's what I have.
Formula De'
Speechless
Say Anything
Incan Gold
Cash n Guns
7 Wonders

I wanted to try to stay away from "hard" looking games but not fluff them out with cutsy looking games either.

Please critique my list and if you'd like take a look at my collection.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This link should be more helpful as it shows only the games in your collection playable with 7: https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

You have a good list but I would also include Codenames and Bohnanza. In my experience, those have usually gone over very well with casual gamers. Tsuro may also not be a bad idea as it is explained in 2 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter + Expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

Sadly I only own the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Covey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bang! the dice Game is great with 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given all the information, the game I would absolutely start with is Incan Gold... very easy to get into, awesome with 7 players, fun and quick.

Depending on how things go with Incan Gold, assuming I was staying within your collection, I'd consider...
Tsuro - if you want to keep it very simple and quick
Mysterium - if you want to ramp up the length of game and the cooperative feel is good for all (and you or someone is very familiar with rules and the ghost you pick is quick and ready to go)
Bohnanza - if you ramp up the length of game and the rules a bit too and everyone is ready for trading and making their choices relatively quickly (that'd be important with 7 playing)
7 Wonders - if you want to ramp up the game and rules (I like 7 wonders okay, but I'm not a huge fan... if you are and will bring some passion with the game then it can be good)

I couldn't tell if you were looking for recommendations outside your collection, but if you are then maybe consider....
Wits & Wagers - if the group has interest in trivia (it's more than just trivia) and likes gambling with meaningless chips
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - if the group wants a social deduction style game... (Resistance can work too... I see you have Avalon and I haven't played that version)
Saboteur (compilation editions) - if you want shifting teams in a card game of dwarves digging for gold (I recommend the compilation version that comes with Saboteur 2... it can mean everyone needs to reference the rule book as they get new cards)

EDIT: Also, doesn't Ca$h 'n Gun$ only go to 6 players?
EDIT the EDIT: I see it's the 2nd Edition which goes to 8 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

Sadly I only own the base game.

Buy a pack of cheap round coasters to use as extra planets. Use the plastic chips from your copy of Sequence as spaceships. Boom... 3 more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and Gentlemen has a terrible rulebook but has some nice mechanics, though maybe it’s a bit too complex for newbies.

I’ve played a prototype of a game called Railroad Ink, that plays in half an hour, with two boxes can play up to 12, and looks a nice blend of strategy and luck. Can be explained in 5 minutes.

If you can wait a few months for that, I would suggest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo + Cthulhu
Citadels
For Sale works fine with 7 if you deal 4 sets of 7 cards each (set aside the remainders unseen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty

Gatesville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is great but, people sometimes have trouble with the iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a nice, friendly game of Diplomacy?

The perfect game for seven players!
(You can even dress up, and role play the different world leaders!)

Lots of fun, and assuming you can avoid the atypical bickering, screaming, backstabbing, fighting, mayhem, maiming and possible murder, (which honestly only occasionally mars the fun of playing this game), your whole family will thank you for introducing them to this game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:

Lots of fun, and assuming you can avoid the atypical bickering, screaming, backstabbing, fighting, mayhem, maiming and possible murder, (which honestly only occasionally mars the fun of playing this game), your whole family will thank you for introducing them to this game!!!

I need your copy!!!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
markhelton wrote:

I need your copy!!!
laugh

Which one?
The AH one with plastic tokens?
The older AH one with the wooden tokens?
Or the 1961 Games Research one with the beautiful topographic map and wooden tokens?
(Not that it matters, as I need them all, so "No Game For You!", spoken in my best Soup Nazi voice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something which can appeal to both the newbies and the hardcore would be Sushi Go! Party - plays up to eight and you can start adding in new 'menus once you all have the hang of things. May be easier than 7 Wonders for learning card drafting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
Something which can appeal to both the newbies and the hardcore would be Sushi Go! Party - plays up to eight and you can start adding in new 'menus once you all have the hang of things. May be easier than 7 Wonders for learning card drafting...

That's always my first choice for an intro game, I have Sushi Go! but not the party version
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
King of Tokyo + Cthulhu
Citadels
For Sale works fine with 7 if you deal 4 sets of 7 cards each (set aside the remainders unseen)

So, I looked at King of Tokyo and realized that I have another promo monster so 8 altogether.

I thought about Citadels and may bring it but it's pretty cutthroat and I don't know these people.

I am using 10 white poker chips & 2 blues ones for a 7th player (me most likely). Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickert
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wizard
Telestrations
Beyond Balderdash
Wise & Otherwise
Cockroach Poker
+1 Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenndragon 1
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot is 7 players add the expansion for 8. Truthfully I enjoy the base game more with new players, the expansion can be a little punishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
killerjoe1962 wrote:
7 Players

Myself, my wife, her adult daughter & her husband have played many board games with me and are aware of the vast majority of my games in my collection.

They have invited us to introduce some games to a couple and one of the couple's friend. The female of the couple (Liz) has played Catan, Lords of Waterdeep and Dominion with my wife's daughter & her husband and is aware of the board game hobby but her boyfriend and her room mate (female) are only aware of the common board games we all know such as Life, Monopoly, Clue, etc...according to my wife's daughter.

They know I am bringing some games for them to play that they may not know...here's what I have.
Formula De'
Speechless
Say Anything
Incan Gold
Cash n Guns
7 Wonders

I wanted to try to stay away from "hard" looking games but not fluff them out with cutsy looking games either.

With the disclaimer of "you never know what will hit people right" because of theme, etc, etc. Here are my 2¢:
Formula De: the downtime and space counting are agonizing, even when people know the game
7 Wonders: I think this game is way more intimidating than many on BGG seem to think it is
Say Anything: fun party game if the people know each other more or less equally (less fun if some know each other well and others not as well)
Cash n Guns: how will people feel about pointing guns at each other? (see Say Anything) And direct, sometimes random or spiteful, attacks?
Incan Gold: probably the one I would recommend the most from what you've said

Not Bohnanza at a high count with lots of new players.
Not King of Tokyo because of direct attacks and elimination that can have someone sitting out for a looooong time.
Not Cosmic Encounter because of backstabbing (and the presentation can be overwhelming).
(It seems you want to avoid cutthroat, so beware as lots of games have shades of this.)

+1 Tsuro is a great simple and beautiful intro for 6 - 8 people if you keep it moving. A little cutthroat but lightly so. Elimination but usually very short wait time.
+1 For Sale is quick to play and talking up what people are buying can be fun. Never tried it with 7 before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
7 Players

Formula De'
Speechless
Say Anything
Incan Gold
Cash n Guns
7 Wonders

With the disclaimer of "you never know what will hit people right" because of theme, etc, etc. Here are my 2¢:
Formula De: the downtime and space counting are agonizing, even when people know the game
7 Wonders: I think this game is way more intimidating than many on BGG seem to think it is
Say Anything: fun party game if the people know each other more or less equally (less fun if some know each other well and others not as well)
Cash n Guns: how will people feel about pointing guns at each other? (see Say Anything) And direct, sometimes random or spiteful, attacks?
Incan Gold: probably the one I would recommend the most from what you've said

Not Bohnanza at a high count with lots of new players.
Not King of Tokyo because of direct attacks and elimination that can have someone sitting out for a looooong time.
Not Cosmic Encounter because of backstabbing (and the presentation can be overwhelming).
(It seems you want to avoid cutthroat, so beware as lots of games have shades of this.)

+1 Tsuro is a great simple and beautiful intro for 6 - 8 people if you keep it moving. A little cutthroat but lightly so. Elimination but usually very short wait time.
+1 For Sale is quick to play and talking up what people are buying can be fun. Never tried it with 7 before.

I wanted to include a game like Formula De' BECAUSE of the downtime, I don't know the three new people so maybe an intense game of high stakes may not suit them but Formula De' just might be a good choice. Good analysis of all the games you mentioned.

I am definitely suggesting we play Incan Gold first maybe followed by For $ale.

+1 for Eagle-Gryphon Games!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I wanted to include a game like Formula De' BECAUSE of the downtime, I don't know the three new people so maybe an intense game of high stakes may not suit them but Formula De' just might be a good choice.

Very interesting take!
Perhaps it also comes down to how much do people like car racing.
I think that theme in general is sometimes undervalued, that it can make or break the experience regardless of how "good" a game is for other reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaleen Hu
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a lot of game nights with non-gamers and this is what I would recommend.

Of your list, I would say Tsuro and Codenames Pictures are a must. And I haven't found too many people who don't enjoy rolling dice, so Bang: The Dice Game is a good option. I really like 7 Wonders but you will have to gauge how they are doing, the initial play can feel overwhelming.

Outside of your list, I would add:
Camel Up
Between Two Cities
Rise of Augustus
Spaceteam - I know this plays 6, but the game is super quick, so you can rotate.
Castle Panic - This also plays 6, but it's coop, so you could probably sit out and just converse and play the game with them (trying not to become an alpha player)
Sparkle Kitty - I know this sounds silly/more for kids, but our group of adults played it last week and loved it. I've had many request to play it again.
3 Secrets - not a traditional board game, but another highly requested game

For future, slightly more complex games, our group has liked:
Captain Sonar
The Captain is Dead

Someone else mentioned Shadows over Camelot. I own that game as well, and I would have to say that it can be very slow in between turns for that high of a player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two fun games that'll support 7 players are Kill Doctor Lucky the paizo edition is best in my book, and Space Cadets: Dice Duel if you like entertaining chaos and dice rolling. If you get one of the expansions you could try Lifeboat it's 6 players without an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceOf86 wrote:
7 Wonders is great but, people sometimes have trouble with the iconography.

kirkroberts wrote:

7 Wonders: I think this game is way more intimidating than many on BGG seem to think it is.

+1 to these comments. It's a light game by gamer standards but I've played it with non-gamers who really struggled on their first play.

Still, it could be a good choice. Perhaps you could find a good, short video review to send to the new players beforehand so they'll have some idea of what the game's about in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.