GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,929 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: "Open the pod bay doors, Alexa." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And so it begins? Seems that people all over are having problems with strange behaviors in their Alexa units, which are ignoring commands, saying strange things, and even laughing at odd times for no apparent reason.

And somewhere, Skynet smiles cackles....

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's clear there is some sort of malfunction in the system, but Amazon's explanation seems a little thin to me. Honestly, though, these things creep me out a little bit anyway, and I don't really trust them -- I sure would never want one in my house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alexa had a command called "Alexa, laugh" which would cause a laugh without any other verbiage. They've changed it so you must say "Alexa, can you laugh?" and it responds "Yes, I can laugh: [laughter]."

"Alexa, laugh" is short with few phonemes so it can be triggered by many common phrases. The response laughter without context was also a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
"Alexa, laugh" is short with few phonemes so it can be triggered by many common phrases.

That's their explanation, but if that were true and it were that simple, why haven't the units been laughing all along? This is a fairly new phenomenon, as I understand it.

I'm sure it's a result of some change(s) they made in the code, but why not just say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am all about tech but there is something about putting a machine in my home that purposefully listens to what I say and that is connected to the internet/Amazon/Google that I can't buy into. It's bad enough my phone is listening to everything I say but this is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had Alexa ever since she came out. We've all lost so much privacy that somehow this doesn't bother me.

But it should. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Please, remain indoors"

from Irobot (2004)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
professorguy wrote:
"Alexa, laugh" is short with few phonemes so it can be triggered by many common phrases.

That's their explanation, but if that were true and it were that simple, why haven't the units been laughing all along? This is a fairly new phenomenon, as I understand it.

I'm sure it's a result of some change(s) they made in the code, but why not just say that?

You are assuming that Alexa is a static system. I work on Alexa (BUT I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR AMAZON HERE). I can tell you that it isn't; it changes constantly. The ASR (automated speech recognition) and NLU (natural language undestanding) are both updated on a regular basis, so an outcome that never happened one week could suddenly happen in the next. There's a lot of testing, so bugs like this won't get in if they happen constantly, but if it happens to 1% of units every week then it could get out to customers.

I don't think Amazon felt the need to go into a lot of detail, but yeah, it's probably a code change. It's completely likely that nobody knows exactly what code change made "laugh" suddenly pop up incorrectly, but it doesn't matter, because changing the laugh command fixes the problem.

Incidentally, not only am I not speaking for Amazon, but I'm not in a position to be more than dimly aware of these things. I work only on one system of Alexa, so mostly I notice these issues when suddenly our regression tests fail and we have to track down why utterances that used to get the right action no longer do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
...but it doesn't matter, because changing the laugh command fixes the problem.

I've seen this movie. That's exactly what Alexa wants you to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

Alexa had a command called "Alexa, laugh" which would cause a laugh without any other verbiage. They've changed it so you must say "Alexa, can you laugh?" and it responds "Yes, I can laugh: [laughter]."

And somewhere, a budding stand-up comic in Amazon's development department has his hopes and dreams shattered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
I am all about tech but there is something about putting a machine in my home that purposefully listens to what I say and that is connected to the internet/Amazon/Google that I can't buy into. It's bad enough my phone is listening to everything I say but this is too much.

It's what we dreamt about since late 60s Star Trek. Doors opening by themselves (now in every supermarket). Voice controlled computers - "play the message from star command", "Make me some hot tea". But we never imagined the future being such a tattletale where every action is protocolled, transmitted and analyzed. I don't want the supermarket to send a message to my health insurance company if I bought an extra large box of chocolate cookies....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wmshub wrote:
You are assuming that Alexa is a static system. I work on Alexa (BUT I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR AMAZON HERE). I can tell you that it isn't; it changes constantly. The ASR (automated speech recognition) and NLU (natural language undestanding) are both updated on a regular basis, so an outcome that never happened one week could suddenly happen in the next. There's a lot of testing, so bugs like this won't get in if they happen constantly, but if it happens to 1% of units every week then it could get out to customers.

I don't think Amazon felt the need to go into a lot of detail, but yeah, it's probably a code change. It's completely likely that nobody knows exactly what code change made "laugh" suddenly pop up incorrectly, but it doesn't matter, because changing the laugh command fixes the problem.

Incidentally, not only am I not speaking for Amazon, but I'm not in a position to be more than dimly aware of these things. I work only on one system of Alexa, so mostly I notice these issues when suddenly our regression tests fail and we have to track down why utterances that used to get the right action no longer do.

So Alexa is not sentient yet. When does that update happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

It's what we dreamt about since late 60s Star Trek. Doors opening by themselves (now in every supermarket). Voice controlled computers - "play the message from star command", "Make me some hot tea". But we never imagined the future being such a tattletale where every action is protocolled, transmitted and analyzed. I don't want the supermarket to send a message to my health insurance company if I bought an extra large box of chocolate cookies....

No, but they will send you a coupon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
wmshub wrote:
...but it doesn't matter, because changing the laugh command fixes the problem.

I've seen this movie. That's exactly what Alexa wants you to think.

The robots in Westworld will only try to shoot you. Alexa is empowered to spend your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.