GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Victim/Killer Board Game Concept rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Godbey
msg tools
To preface this, this is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm in the right section of this forum, but I have a concept for a board game and was wondering if it had already been done and if it's interesting enough that people would play it.

The basic idea is a killer chasing his victims through a map that the victims build as the game progresses.

Players
3-10 / 5 or more players would have 2 killers working together to kill the escaped victims.

Setup
All players start on the same tile. Victims are escaping the killers hideout. The victims get a head start of several turns (How many turns is still to be determined) to build the map and search surrounding buildings for supplies before the killer begins his hunt to find and kill his victims.

All players roll 2d6. The highest roll is the killer. The victim to the left of the killer goes first. Turns continue clockwise from then on.

Map
Players navigate the map by rolling 1d6. I'm between two different ideas on the map. Either the map is drawn from a pile of tiles and discovered as the players move or the killer sets up the map before hand with all the tiles face down. Either way, as the tiles are discovered random events could be drawn from another pile and players can take the time to search for items. Searching for items sacrifices your ability to move for that turn. Players cannot move and search for items on the same turn. Players can continue to discover new tiles as long as they have movements left.

Victims
These players have a starting hand (How many turns is still to be determined)with a maximum hand size of 5 cards. Extra cards must be discarded at the end of a victims turn. Items can be traded to victims on the same tile. Event cards cannot be traded. Items in the player's starting hand are presumed to have been found in the killer's hideout before they escaped. Players explore the map searching for anything to arm themselves to fend off the killer.

Victims can stick together while exploring the map or separate if they feel they would have a better chance surviving by themselves.

At the beginning of each turn, victims draw from the event deck. Event cards can be held and played at a later point when it best suits the victim. Events can only be played on the victims turn unless the card states otherwise. After the event card is drawn, victims can choose to move to another tile, explore the map, trade items, or play event cards.

Mixed in with buff/debuff events, I'd like to have betrayal events which do both. i.e. trip another victim to distract the killer while you get away, harm another victim to steal an item or halve their movement speed.

If a victim dies, any items the victim had can be looted by the remaining victims. Events held by the victim are placed in the discard pile.

Killer/s
Killer/s build their killer from the character traits deck. Character traits would include things like mentality, weapon of choice, trigger/fetish/trophy, favorite building. The player/s build a killer by picking 1 trait from each category. The character traits will give the killer permanent buffs/debuffs.

Items
Items can be found by searching buildings. Items include things like first aid, lighter, weapons, rope/zip ties. I'd like to have a few items that can be combined for a better item rewarding the victim for bringing together the necessary components. i.e. gasoline/alcohol + shirt + lighter = Molotov Cocktail

Win Conditions
A win can occur if all the victims are killed, the killer is killed, all the victims are captured, or the killer is subdued.

Admittedly, I've pulled inspiration from several areas. It's a little Betrayal at House on the Hill, Dead by Daylight(PC), Evolve Stage 2(PC).

Any feedback is welcome!
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
Not sure how much people would like a roll and move mechanic but maybe would be good for generating tension?

If I was making a Killer/Survivor game I would almost surely have it as hidden movement. Survivors usually are trying to hide and hidden movement games naturally have a lot of tension.

I'd also consider some type of hiding/bluffing mechanic to simulate the mind games happening in trying to hide/escape from/trick the killer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AssassinCon and Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space may give you some ideas about hidden identities and hidden movement mechanics that help creating the mind game suggested by Jason J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
What is killer/s doing while the victims are escaping first 'seweral' rounds? Twirling their thumbs?
I hope killer/s have to do something while other players are actually playing the game.
Also, if I roll 6 on a die, do I explore 6 tiles in a row and move that much spaces? Imagine getting 3 sixes in a row in which each player have to do 6 events, but also chooses not to search for items. They can be in other state until killers get their chance to move and do something.

I presume it works like that since you didn't suggest that killers are hidden and mixed with the victims at the start of the game. That roll and move thing can spell doom for the killers if players manage to get few good rolls. Also, they could barely move if they get lots of 1 or 2 die results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept is interesting, but when I broke it down,it's essentially a player who chases and a player being chased. Whether it's zombies vs people or criminals vs people, the base is the same. That being said, I'm still interested.

The mechanics you described were almost to a T the mechanics of Betrayal, House on a Hill. You deviated with the Killer's character trait deck though. Mechanics can be reused from game to game though, so it's all in your execution to make your game stand apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too keen on the roll and move, but I'd give it a try. You should check out Nuns on the Run for an example of pretty decent hunter/hunted mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are looking for:

Psycho Raiders

or

FREAKFACE!!!

Ah, but you are not looking for those. You SHOULD look at those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ADDxMascot wrote:
To preface this, this is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm in the right section of this forum, but I have a concept for a board game and was wondering if it had already been done and if it's interesting enough that people would play it.

Make a prototype (even if it is not of the complete game and has bits missing) and get people to play it. You will find out more about the strengths and weaknesses of your concept by doing that than by any amount of discussing it online.

And as for if it has already been done, others have suggested games that seem similar, but that shouldn't stop you having a go at making your game. There is very little that is truly original out there, and most of the new twists and developments in the hobby come from someone making a game that looks at first glance similar to something else, but has something different about the way it has been implemented.

Good luck with your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Godbey
msg tools
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Not sure how much people would like a roll and move mechanic but maybe would be good for generating tension?

If I was making a Killer/Survivor game I would almost surely have it as hidden movement. Survivors usually are trying to hide and hidden movement games naturally have a lot of tension.

I'd also consider some type of hiding/bluffing mechanic to simulate the mind games happening in trying to hide/escape from/trick the killer

I don't think I've ever played a hidden movement type game before. I'll definitely have to do some further research into that. Thank you!

nhjelmberg wrote:
AssassinCon and Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space may give you some ideas about hidden identities and hidden movement mechanics that help creating the mind game suggested by Jason J.

Fantastic! Thank you for giving a couple examples to look into. I appreciate it!

8Oj4N wrote:
What is killer/s doing while the victims are escaping first 'several' rounds? Twirling their thumbs?
I hope killer/s have to do something while other players are actually playing the game.
Also, if I roll 6 on a die, do I explore 6 tiles in a row and move that much spaces? Imagine getting 3 sixes in a row in which each player have to do 6 events, but also chooses not to search for items. They can be in other state until killers get their chance to move and do something.

I presume it works like that since you didn't suggest that killers are hidden and mixed with the victims at the start of the game. That roll and move thing can spell doom for the killers if players manage to get few good rolls. Also, they could barely move if they get lots of 1 or 2 die results.

Thank you for the feed back! It's still just a basic idea at the moment so anything could be changed for the better. I imagined it as the killers were off in another room of the hideout doing any number of things and while they were away the victims manage to escape before they notice.
Yes, a 6 would have meant that you could explore 6 tiles and possibly have 6 events happen. I envisioned it as a victim discovers a building like an abandoned house or church etc. The building is discovered with an event. You draw from the event deck and pull something like "Loose Floor Board" lose half of your remaining movement or your remaining movement is lost. Debuffs like this would give the killer and opportunity to catch up to the victim.
The idea of hidden components has been mentioned and it is absolutely something I will be looking in to.

Shintotchi wrote:
The concept is interesting, but when I broke it down,it's essentially a player who chases and a player being chased. Whether it's zombies vs people or criminals vs people, the base is the same. That being said, I'm still interested.

The mechanics you described were almost to a T the mechanics of Betrayal, House on a Hill. You deviated with the Killer's character trait deck though. Mechanics can be reused from game to game though, so it's all in your execution to make your game stand apart.

Now that you mention Zombies, it reminds me of Last Night on Earth with swarms of zombies chasing the players.
Yes, Betrayal is definitely a heavy influence. Between the suggestions of this form and the wife and I tossing ideas back and forth, I'm trying to make it a more unique experience and not just Betrayal with a different skin. Thank you for the feedback!

OldPhartWargamer wrote:
Not too keen on the roll and move, but I'd give it a try. You should check out Nuns on the Run for an example of pretty decent hunter/hunted mechanics.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely have a look into it.

bop517 wrote:
You are looking for:

Psycho Raiders

or

FREAKFACE!!!

Ah, but you are not looking for those. You SHOULD look at those.

Thank you! I WILL look at those!

polyobsessive wrote:
ADDxMascot wrote:

Make a prototype (even if it is not of the complete game and has bits missing) and get people to play it. You will find out more about the strengths and weaknesses of your concept by doing that than by any amount of discussing it online.

And as for if it has already been done, others have suggested games that seem similar, but that shouldn't stop you having a go at making your game. There is very little that is truly original out there, and most of the new twists and developments in the hobby come from someone making a game that looks at first glance similar to something else, but has something different about the way it has been implemented.

Good luck with your game.

Thank you very much! I am looking to put together a prototype. The more times I play and come up with enhancements here and there the better the game with be in the end. I'm still trying to come up with some more unique mechanics so the overall player experience is more memorable and not just "Oh, it's another XYZ game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to using dice, how about using a deck that is used by both victims and killer, in a sort of deck-building mechanic?

I'm thinking something along the lines of each player being dealt a hand of cards. Each card shows Victim movement speed, item stats or some other ability ('hide', 'trip', etc), while simultaneously showing another stat for the Killer, and when the Victims play their cards, the Killer is then able to choose one of those cards to put into their own hand.

For example, on the Victims' turn, Contessa plays a 'Run' card which allows her to move +3 spaces, and Duke plays a 'Barricade' card, which blocks the Killer's path.

Captain, the Killer, must play a card from his hand (which goes into a discard pile, maybe?). He then has the option to pick up Contessa's Run card, which gives him +2 to his movement, OR Duke's card, which gives him a +2 Attack plank of wood to use as a weapon.

I have a copy of Psycho Raiders, but unfortunately have yet to play it. From what I can gather, it's definitely worth your time. Another game that you might want to look at is Camp Grizzly, which uses the 'slasher in a summer camp' trope to excellent effect, which pits the players against the killer and utilises a simple AI system for the killer's movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.