GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,766 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Cult: Choose Your God Wisely» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Do Not Back, avoid Cryptozoic at all costs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Barille
msg tools
This is a friendly warning to anyone who is currently backing or thinking of backing this game. I swore after what they did during the Ghostbusters 2 campaign I would not let them do another KS without warning everyone of the type of business they are. If you do not know how they handled that last kickstarter there are plenty of forums that go into it in detail, long story short they lied to us, did not give us what was promised, and treated their backers without a shred of respect or decency. They are not a company to be supported. If you are backing this game or on the fence, I implore you walk away. You will save yourself so much grief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the warning, was on the fence but will now first look into these allegations. I already found it odd they would release a game which looked so much like another (fate of the elder gods) so this doesn't strike me as odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember what Cryptozoic did for backers of the doomed Doom:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1014678/doom-lives-anew

But maybe you prefer to just stress the negatives to support your call for boycott...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DerDiplomat wrote:
Remember what Cryptozoic did for backers of the doomed Doom:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1014678/doom-lives-anew

But maybe you prefer to just stress the negatives to support your call for boycott...

As one comment said, that was the old Cryptozoic. The new one is all promise and underwhelming components.

If you don't need this game, just thank all the backers for taking the risk, and wait until retail. Kicktraq says the game will fund, so, unless you must have the deluxe game, you can wait. Retail will be $60 MSRP for the retail copy, but you should already know what OLGS discount to expect, as well as that the OLGS has a free shipping threshold. Reviews and comments from people who have actually bought the game, instead of receiving a free reviewer's copy, are not in yet, so you don't know the "this game is not for you" risk of any new game, much less the "leopards do not change their spots" risk of any company. Note that retail prices for internationals are typically higher, so, for them, backing through KS may be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Just because they did something good in the past does not excuse their later actions. Its like saying hey that guy helped an old lady cross the street, so we should ignore the fact that he robbed a woman later that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brooks
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does GKR count for Cryptozoic, or no?

If it does, I have not complaints about that campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frisches wrote:

GKR had a different partner, known for their models and special effects (?). This is a completely different partner, who, in another thread, was said to have left the production to Crypto. : "They then partnered with us, Cryptozoic, to create a Kickstarter campaign for a physical product and worldwide release."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Frisches wrote:

GKR had a different partner, known for their models and special effects (?). This is a completely different partner, who, in another thread, was said to have left the production to Crypto. : "They then partnered with us, Cryptozoic, to create a Kickstarter campaign for a physical product and worldwide release."

Quick note, we provided our 3 preferred factories for Weta Workshop to produce from.

We worked together with them on all the game design to fill out the fantastic world of GKR, we also suggested component quality for miniatures, cards and boards.

We also are adjusting out preferred factories list after the GKR and Walking Dead productions completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Tompkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's disappointing that threads like this and similar comments on the Kickstarter page itself are scaring people away from a potentially great game. Now it looks as if the project won't even fund, so that's unfortunate.

It's also funny how when someone tries to point out the good Cryptozoic has done, they'll say that you cant judge them on their previous good actions, but what, its ok to judge on previous bad actions? You either take both into consideration or neither, not pick and choose because you may love or hate the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
What is disappointing is that Cryptozoic chose to do a KS at all. My post is truth, nothing else. I swore to them I would be there at every KS they do to warn those of how they do business. If you want to give them a pass on extremely poor business practices go ahead, but do not expect everyone else to. If you look at the comments on their own KS, there are far more than me trying to warn you all about what this company is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I never said ignore previous actions, I said they do not make up for later ones. Huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Tompkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think its a shame you've taken on this crusade to bad mouth them everywhere you possibly can. They have many, many, successful games. Also, your clarification that you never said ignore previous actions because they don't make up for later ones is not a huge difference, it boils down to the same flawed point you're trying to make.

For instance, if my daughter finishes her chores all month long, but messes up the last two days, that doesn't mean shes now permanently a screw-up, and yes, her previous good actions do show her character. Everyone and every company will make a mistake time and again, but should that condemn them to an eternity of exile? Furthermore, how can they prove themselves if you've already written off ever giving them a chance?

If you don't want to support them, that's fine, but when you're scaring others away, that's when you've crossed a line.

Counting the list on Wikipedia, they have approximately 62 licensed games, 14 original ip games, 27 collectibles and 62 trading card sets, and because you've had an issue with 2, nothing else matters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To support Joshua's point. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cryptozoic send out games to all the backers of The Doom That Came to Atlantic City screwed up/left for dead KS campaign? Did they need to do that? Past positive actions do matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not backing the campaign because they are only offering a retail copy of the game (which I would get way cheaper retail). Granted that is messed up, because if everyone does that then it never goes to retail. Logic isn't always my strong suit. The game looks really cool, but the campaign offerings are blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I got back in. They added some exclusives: 25 altar minis, upgraded box, and a 9th cult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I have not taken on any crusade to badmouth everything they do, just their KS, and its still not a crusade. I do not post on every game page they make. I have put in one post under their publisher page, and one on this, the most recent game I have seen them try to KS since GB2. I told them then I would be there at every KS to remind people of how they run business. They were fraudulent. They were liars. They had no respect for their backers. And what they gave us in the end was unacceptable, especially at the price that was paid. I know they did a good thing with TDTCTAC, but that was a different company. From what I understand the same people that did the GB1 campaign were gone by GB2. Even if that is not true, their prior actions do not excuse current behavior. If you look at the KS comments you can see there is someone who is truly crusading against them. I merely paid a public service announcement, beware of company that has been known to use unethical practices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, you have beaten, stabbed, and kicked the horse. Then quartered it and hung its limbs up in a tree for crows to gnaw on. You then use the remaining hanging horse parts, with maggots infesting them, as a pinata for your birthday bash.

Edit: sorry kids, no candy this year. your uncle is cheap for reals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Tompkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
I have not taken on any crusade
Falccor77 wrote:
I told them then I would be there at every KS to remind people of how they run business.

The quotes speak for themselves. Trying to justify it doesn't change what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, that's not a crusade. It's a prolonged inquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Tompkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drats Colin! I never expected that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Call it what you want, so will I, a consumer warning. Go look at the KS comments and you will see someone who has truly done what you accuse me of. Got some stock in Cryptozoic or something? Do not understand your motivation for the "anti-crusade".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I see now why my criticism has gotten under your skin, your message on their KS comments says it all. How come you take issue with me and my "crusade" when Clyne has gone on for ages on the site blasting Crypto?, I made one post here, and two comments on their KS, and I am the one on a crusade. And now you are badmouthing me and telling people to ignore me on KS. Also you just lied to everyone on KS by saying the game was made by two companies with good reputations, Cryptozoic most certainly does not, especially not when it comes to KS, which is what this is all about. I am sorry a game you want to see made may not be, but that is not my doing, it is the price you pay when you work with a company as bad as Crpytozoic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
I see now why my criticism has gotten under your skin, your message on their KS comments says it all. How come you take issue with me and my "crusade" when Clyne has gone on for ages on the site blasting Crypto?, I made one post here, and two comments on their KS, and I am the one on a crusade. And now you are badmouthing me and telling people to ignore me on KS. Also you just lied to everyone on KS by saying the game was made by two companies with good reputations, Cryptozoic most certainly does not, especially not when it comes to KS, which is what this is all about. I am sorry a game you want to see made may not be, but that is not my doing, it is the price you pay when you work with a company as bad as Crpytozoic.

boooooom headshot laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, thanks for bringing it to my attention who the real offender is. Maybe you can join Clyne and start a CryptoCrusader organization.

Edit: Clyne appreciates that you ratted him out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.