GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,565 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Getting Married, Wedding Game Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am getting married April 21st and wedding plans are in full swing. Most of our friends don't dance and many don't drink, so we thought having a few board games there would be nice. We don't have many gamer friends, although many of our friends like playing some of the more casual or party games with us. Also, many people don't know each other, so we have to be wary what kinds of games we introduce. I was thinking games that are super quick to learn also so that no one feels intimidated. Here is my list so far, let me know if anyone has a strong opinion for/against any of them as well as any suggestions:

Happy Salmon (this one seems too good to pass up)
Apples to Apples
Flux
Codenames
Maybe Mysterium

Also, weddings are expensive, so I probably won't go too crazy with purchasing the newest and shiniest games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I gave out copies of Love Letter Wedding Edition at a wedding for people to take home.

...doubt any played it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Rooms and a Boom
Spyfall
The Resistance: Avalon
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went with traditional games, as they're pretty inexpensive and easily available. If memory serves, we had Nine Men's Morris (Mill) and Mancala at every table, plus decks of cards with our picture on the back, and little booklets of simple card games.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wendelin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sushi Go Party!
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Time's Up!
No Thanks!

And congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a copy of Wits & Wagers, maybe add in some custom questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Perna
Italy
Azzano San Paolo
BG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bric wrote:
I gave out copies of Love Letter Wedding Edition at a wedding for people to take home.

...doubt any played it

You, sir, deserve a medal. thumbsup

- Erl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
They don’t dance, don’t drink, and aren’t gamers? Who are these supposed friends?

Wedding tables usually have decorations, plates, glasses, not conducive to playing a board game, especially if you’re not a hard-core gaming addict.

If you really want to have games at your wedding, I’d probably do something like the big Wits and Wagers games that Dice Tower does at cons. Each table could be a team, depending on how many tables you’ll have. You could have questions about the bride and groom, especially if they’re funny.

ninja’d: Wits and Wagers is the way to go. Personally, I wouldn’t even use the physical game (although it would be nice to buy a copy for yourself). Make 2 tokens for each table that are specific to your wedding - maybe make up funny names for each table based on who you assigned to sit there. Get some nice poker chips (again you could get custom ones for your wedding, but that can be expensive). Get a dry erase board to record the answers teams give and they can place their bets on it, and ideally a video camera and projector so you can project the board on a wall. Then make up your own questions and answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders it’s easy, fast, gamerly and quick, plus plays 7 in the same amount of time as 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the majority of our family and friends are non-gamers, for our 25th anniversary party we used a series of trivia questions about ourselves to determine which table would get in the buffet line next. We bought whiteboards and dry erase markers from the dollar store (cheap!) and put them on each table ahead of time. The DJ even had "The Price is Right" sound effects to play when someone got the correct answer. As a bonus, many of the guests drew pictures throughout the evening if they weren't dancing, etc.

One question was "How many boardgames do we own?" Most of the guesses were waaaay too low. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! The dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the last wedding I attended one of the witnesses organized a trivia game centered on the bride and groom, which was a great way to include everybody in the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
bric wrote:

...doubt any played it

I was invited to a wedding and wanted to gift it to the married couple.
$64 shipping to France surprisesurprisesurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel H.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I just bought a game about economics so that's my financial planning done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

We wound up putting out a ton of card packs on each table with a bunch of crib boards at the ready on a side table. We gifted each person a bag of chocolate coins to "gamble" with and the guests wound up playing a giant poker round-robin style tournament among all their tables with a winner-takes-all-the-chocolate mentality. Granted, our reception was in an actual historical saloon among other period buildings so we also had a pool table and dart boards available and that set the tone, but with the chocolate incentivizing the play the games available weren't overlooked and they drove a giant part of the entertainment.

Would do again 10/10. Though I'd probably toss in a few games I wouldn't play at this point in time on my own but everyone seems to know the rules for and has a nostalgic appreciation for, like Uno and Yahtzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I especially like Dixit for nongamer meetups. Quick and easy to learn and is much more than its simple rules. It surprised me how much I like it.

Bohnanza
Coloretto
Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They dont dance, they dont drink. Presumably they eat food, right? Take the money you would spend on the silly game idea and put it into moar food.

If you simply must have a game, then have a reception announcer announce everyone's name as they enter the hall and have a contest for who gives him the funniest name like Seymour Butts, or Hugh G. Rection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Astin
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
At the last wedding I attended one of the witnesses organized a trivia game centered on the bride and groom, which was a great way to include everybody in the fun.

Yep, i'd suggest this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty

Gatesville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although I don't like it, "The Resistance" would probably work well. "Anomia", "Sushi Go!", "One Night" games, and "Concept" also come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA Jacques
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Diplomacy comes to mind immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CGetahun wrote:
I am getting married April 21st and wedding plans are in full swing. Most of our friends don't dance and many don't drink, so we thought having a few board games there would be nice. We don't have many gamer friends, although many of our friends like playing some of the more casual or party games with us. Also, many people don't know each other, so we have to be wary what kinds of games we introduce. I was thinking games that are super quick to learn also so that no one feels intimidated. Here is my list so far, let me know if anyone has a strong opinion for/against any of them as well as any suggestions:

Happy Salmon (this one seems too good to pass up)
Apples to Apples
Flux
Codenames
Maybe Mysterium

Happy Salmon and A2A (or any other judging party game) are excellent ideas. I'd add Animal Upon Animal and agree with the other folks who suggested No Thanks.

Really, what you want are quick, fun, high-energy games with obvious rules that don't have to be taught. Trust me, you're going to be so busy with other stuff at your reception you aren't going to want to be teaching games...if nothing else you're going to be interrupted every couple of minutes.

Good luck and congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to recommendations.

Congratulations.

+1 Dixit

The only problem with small games is it can add another thing to do to your list and might actually mean people stay in their groups and don't mix.

I like the idea about some kind of quiz (personalised or other) which includes some sort of mixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bric wrote:

...doubt any played it

Wow kudos to you for the awesome party favors though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
They don’t dance, don’t drink, and aren’t gamers? Who are these supposed friends?

Wedding tables usually have decorations, plates, glasses, not conducive to playing a board game, especially if you’re not a hard-core gaming addict.

The first comment literally made me laugh out loud. And they are an eclectic group. My husbands groomsmen looks like that Kevin Hart movie where someone didn't have friends so he just found the first rag tag group of people on the street he could. Luckily, they are all pretty fun

Also, we will have special tables set up for about 7 or 8 boardgames so that they don't have to worry about the place settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty

Gatesville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bric wrote:

...doubt any played it

That's sad. I enjoyed that game. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone! And especially thanks for all the kind words. My husband is from Ethiopia with a very religious family, but our family and friends are pretty loud and wild, so there are going to be all sorts at the wedding! Hopefully some games (along with other activities we are providing) will help make sure everyone has good time.

I loved the ideas many of you had for some simpler games, and then add in a few more modern ones too. Luckily, we do have a few friends who love board games, so they will be the one handling that corner without us so we can be free to roam. I also happen to own wits and wagers and can't believe I didn't think of that, thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.