GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Mann
United States
Gladstone
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have three worker placement games. Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep and Kingsburg. I watched a video on game play but just cant get off the fence if I should get this game also. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one of them has the same feeling of Marco Polo, which is easily one the best dice placement game (the best is still Troyes).

So, yes. You should get it - and maybe sell kingsburg?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mistake89 wrote:
No one of them has the same feeling of Marco Polo, which is easily one the best dice placement game (the best is still Troyes).

So, yes. You should get it - and maybe sell kingsburg?!

+1 word for word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I don't think there's such a thing as 'too many' X type of games, as long as you enjoy the genre and think those games stand out. Two of the games you mentioned, Lords Of Water Deep and Stone Age, are on the more entry level side, and in my opinion, don't really stand out. With the expansions they definitely get more tolerable, but both are not so great imho, other than being accessible to more easy going groups (and that is a big plus, I'm not knocking it). Marco Polo is not for those groups. And it's better for it. It is not my favorite worker placement game, or, frankly, in my top 5 worker placement games. But it is pretty darn brilliant and definitely better than the others you mentioned. And despite having 5 worker placement games I like more, I still had room for it in my collection. But, if you are really looking for better worker placement games, I'd also recommend Tzolkin (esp with expansion), Argent (the most un-euro worker placement game ever), Dungeon Petz, Dungeon Lords (loosely worker placement I guess), and Prodigals Club (my favorite more 'easy going' worker placement game).

And someone else mentioned my thoughts on Kingsburg already lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humm... If you're not convinced, then pass on it, at least until you have tried it.

Why waste time and money with a game that you are hesitant about? I think there are enough games around that you should buy games you feel very enthusiastic about.

As for voyages of Marco Polo, I absolutely love it, but that's besides the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziih wrote:
I already have three worker placement games. Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep and Kingsburg. I watched a video on game play but just cant get off the fence if I should get this game also. Any thoughts?

Strictly speaking, no, since it's neither food nor drink and only burns for few moments so it doesn't keep you war either.

Specifically speaking, if you like those three, then you should give Marco a go, but really, try before you buy if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of those, too, AND I own Marco Polo. I enjoy all of them so I'm inclined to say yes, make MP a part of your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre E
Germany
Krummhoern
flag msg tools

Marco Polo is heavier than the other games you mentioned.

If you want to increase the complexity then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... four worker placement games?!?! (Says the man who has... more than that) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
I mean, I don't think there's such a thing as 'too many' X type of games, as long as you enjoy the genre and think those games stand out. Two of the games you mentioned, Lords Of Water Deep and Stone Age, are on the more entry level side, and in my opinion, don't really stand out. With the expansions they definitely get more tolerable, but both are not so great imho, other than being accessible to more easy going groups (and that is a big plus, I'm not knocking it). Marco Polo is not for those groups. And it's better for it. It is not my favorite worker placement game, or, frankly, in my top 5 worker placement games. But it is pretty darn brilliant and definitely better than the others you mentioned. And despite having 5 worker placement games I like more, I still had room for it in my collection. But, if you are really looking for better worker placement games, I'd also recommend Tzolkin (esp with expansion), Argent (the most un-euro worker placement game ever), Dungeon Petz, Dungeon Lords (loosely worker placement I guess), and Prodigals Club (my favorite more 'easy going' worker placement game).

And someone else mentioned my thoughts on Kingsburg already lol

Tzolkin, Dungeon Petz and Dungeon Lords are much heavier (both in rules and depth) than Marco Polo.

Compared to the WP games the OP already has, I think Marco Polo is better. Lots to explore in the character powers and variable board setup. And the just released The Voyages of Marco Polo: Agents of Venice expansion adds even more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tzol'kin is actually pretty rules light, but the timing of what you need to do in that game is brutal and difficult to grasp on your first couple plays. Heavier on depth? By far. Heavier on rules than Marco Polo? Not sure about that.

But in the end, you place a worker down, or take a worker back. That's it. The rule about burning the forest to get to the corn is really one of the few fiddly things about the game. Everything else is pretty straight forward, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can always try it online first to see whether you like it:

http://www.yucata.de/en/GameInfo/MarcoPolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think heavy refers to just rules but also depth.

They asked if they should get the game, I answered. Just because they have those games doesn't mean that's their taste. I had plenty of not so great games when I first started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziih wrote:

My advice is: If you are blown away by the awesomeness of the character powers, get the game. If the character power seem "meh" to you, then the game as a whole probably won't wow you.

Disclaimer: I really like VoMP; it's almost the only worker placement game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziih wrote:

Those were three of my favorites. Still pretty much are.

Marco Polo is now my favorite. It incorporates all that I love from those games, and more.

So I'd say give it a shot. If you want to see what it's like to play without buying it first, you can play it for free at yucata.de with async play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need it? No.

If you feel bored with the games you have access to play and those you own, then this is a great choice. Try it out in a game cafe or play a friend's copy (or a future friend's copy!) The game is not going to suit everyone, but a lot of people (me included) really enjoy it and you might too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VoMP is a heavier game than Stone Age, Waterdeep, or Kingsburg. Or, perhaps better than "heavier", it may be more precise to say it's a tighter, more unforgiving game.

The stuff you're doing in Stone Age is very basic: put a worker somewhere to get some reasources, and then when you get the right amount, dump them for points. It's a very simple act of churning workers for points. The board game equivalent of a "fetch quest".

That can happen occasionally in Marco Polo, where one guy milks a city where you can, for instance, churn two gold for four points, and then that player finds a way to get a gold bonanza going and just run away with he game. But that kind of degenerate strategy only surfaces occasionally due to the board's dynamic layout.

Kingsburg is pretty much just a game of rolling well. There's some meager compensation for the player who rolled poorly (turn order), but you can frequently trace a victory back to rolling well. VoMP has more checks and balances, I would take five 1's over five 6's most any day. The only exception is the character Berke Khan, who is basically playing Kingsburg while everyone is playing VoMP.

Waterdeep is a decent game and I enjoy playing it, wbich is to say I can feel satisfied winning or losing a game of it, which I can't really say about the other two.

But understand the people who like any of those three games for their relative simple and direct choices may well loathe the tightness of VoMP. You must plan out your turns. You must predict what other players are likely to do. You should not just elect to cross the bridge from Adana to Kochi when you get to it. New players often consider it impossible to complete their objective cards and barely move from Venice. I do very much recommend using the beginner's game for anyone playing for the first time, even for accomplished gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.