GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Expansions for my favourite games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KT Downton
msg tools
I'm newish to board games and have tried a lot of games in the last couple of years. Now I think I've found the type of games I enjoy most and want to play these games more. But a little variety would be nice.

My top 15 games are:
- 7 Wonders
- Orleans
- Five Tribes
- Fields of Arle
- Istanbul
- Haspelknecht
- Lorenzo Il Magnefico
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Viticulture
- The Voyages of Marco Polo
- Concordia
- T'zolkin
- Troyes
- Village
- (and Great Western Trail who hasn't got a expansion yet)

Any recommendations of which expansions to get and which I should avoid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... I will only list a few, which I know well enough.

- The Voyages of Marco Polo

The "promo" expansion, that adds some new characters is nice. The Agents expansion isn't really necessary, in my eyes. The game has enough variety as it is.

- T'zolkin

The expansion with the tribes and prophecies is a good one. Really expands the game and adds quite a bit of variety.

- Village

Village Inn is a very good addition. Havn't played Village Port, yet.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Leaders expansion for 7 Wonders is a great fit (and adds more theme), and the Troyes expansion is really good as well. Neither require a ton of new rules nor do they add much time to the games. I’ve read the Five Tribes expansions add more AP, which makes me hesitant even though I really like the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Baker
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuscany is a must have expansion for Viticulture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is much improved with its expansions.

Istanbul extends a bit with its expansions so the recommendation there is to go with one or another but not both. I have the Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh expansion which is fine I haven't tried the other.

Troyes: The Ladies of Troyes is really good it opens up lots of options to the base game and is modular so you can explore the effects of each module or go all in.

I've only tried Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala which is OK but I find there's enough fun in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
I also second Tuscany for Viticulture and Leaders for 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knutage wrote:
My top 15 games are:
- 7 Wonders
- Orleans
- Istanbul
- Viticulture
These are the games that, imho, benefit the most from expansions. I'd especially recommend Orléans: Invasion. I wouldn't even consider playing the game without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

- 7 Wonders - Cities or Leaders. Avoid Babel like the plague.
- Orleans - Invasion, adds excellent co-op
- Five Tribes - Artisans
- Fields of Arle
- Istanbul
- Haspelknecht
- Lorenzo Il Magnifico - got it on preorder. Can't wait.
- Viticulture - Tuscany
- The Voyages of Marco Polo - New Characters is a must. Just got Venice.
- Concordia - Salsa and a new board pack or two... (check reviews)
- T'zolkin - Tribes & Prophecies
- Troyes - Ladies
- Village - Village Inn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven’t played the Invasion expansion for Orléans, I think you should consider getting the Trade and Intrigue expansion instead.

It adds to pretty much every aspect of the game without adding any complexity really. Rather than add, I should perhaps say replace. The deeds board is replaced by a much more interesting board (and an additional take that board if you’re into that stuff). Events are also replaced and much improved. Orders are added to the map, to make moving around and adding houses more important. It is an amazing expansion!

If course, Invasion adds coop, so if you’re into that that’s your best bet. Everything else, I believe Trade and Intrigue wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Concordia: Salsa for Concordia.
It adds asymmetrical gameplay and some hotspots on the board
and of course new boards to play on. Get it, NOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, here are my thoughts on those I've played:

- 7 Wonders - never understood the draw of the expansions
- Orleans - love Invasion's co-op. I've heard good things about Trade & Intruige
- Five Tribes - Artisans was a nice addition, pass on the others
- Istanbul - Watch reviews and choose one if you feel you want/need it
- Viticulture - Tuscany unless you have Essentials Edition is worth it
- Concordia - Any new map is good, choose based on your preferred player count
- T'zolkin - Tribes & Prophets is a nice addition
- Troyes - Ladies is expensive for what you get. Try Bonus Cards
- Village - I've watched the debate over Inn and Port, the latter seems to be the better choice

I like your taste. Nice list of games.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty

Gatesville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:

- 7 Wonders - Cities or Leaders. Avoid Babel like the plague.

I second this. Leaders is great and Cities is good. Babel is pretty terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Stanculescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Orleans - Trade & Intrigue is great, but mostly the Trade part. Haven't tried Intrigue myself, but from what I've been told I wouldn't like it, as you can pretty much attack others, which is a bit weird in a euro game.
- The Voyages of Marco Polo - I'm hesitant here. The mini-expansion is nice for the new characters, but the gifts are a bit meh. As for Agents of Venice... Well, I like the Agents part, but the Venice part opens the game too much, makes it less of a fight for best positions. I probably would get them later if you feel the game is a bit stale, starting with the mini-expansion since it's really cheap.
- Concordia - Salsa! I have Britannia & Germania too, but it's not that interesting. Salsa though is excellent for the wildcard resource and the Senate which basically introduces variable player powers. Didn't buy the next expansions, not sure if I will...
- Tzolk'in - tribes are unbalanced... We house-ruled choosing the tribes, and bid for them instead of each player picking one of two. It was a better experienced, but it means players must understand the game really well to know the value of each tribe depending on starting tiles, monuments, and prophecies.
- Village - I like both expansions, but I think Village Port is a must (as it replaces the boring/underpowered travel location), while Village Inn is a nice to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul - If you play mainly 2-3 players, avoid the expansions. They expand the board too much and allow players to avoid each other. That said, if you play with more players usually, then they add some fun elements to change up the game a bit, and add new combos to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.