GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

The City of Kings» Forums » General

Subject: Undecided: this or 7th Continent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Under much cajoling and encouragement, I backed 7th continent in last year's Kickstarter (Rookie pledge).

My genre of choice is dungeon crawler / exploration-type games, and my favourite mechanic is probably role selection / hand management. I'm not really a fan of choose-your-own adventure type mechanics, despite having a number of Fighting Fantasy titles when i was a kid. I also enjoy a mild amount of luck, without being overly dependent on dice rolls.

Would this game be for me? I think 7th continent probably packs more hours into its box (at a price) but this may provide more enjoyment. I could probably afford one or the other, but not both (in terms of both finance and time).

Thanks in advance for your insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm still waiting on both, I'm not much use but... from what I've seen of both, 7th Continent seems much more like the "choose your own adventure" game (which you mention isn't your favorite). City of Kings appears to have more of what your looking for (some luck in tile placement, items retrieved and very little dependence on die rolls). The first scenario play through that Frank did is fairly short and gives a decent idea of how play will go I think. (hopefully someone with real experience will chime in and help you out).
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/167658/city-kings/frank-play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’ve only played one scenario of 7th Continent and just received TCOK yesterday, but wanted to flag that Continent is great if you enjoy hand management—managing your equipment/items and your action cards is one of the key skills in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 7th continent even available? I tried to order it a few weeks ago and their ordering system was closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not much use either, I am patiently waiting on both. However based on your preerences sounds like TCOK is more your thing. 7C does have hand management but the main point is to explore the card in a choose your own adventure style and pick from card to card.

TCOK seems to be far more open ended and have quite a variety of actions to take and more strategy available to tackle what you have to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Is 7th continent even available? I tried to order it a few weeks ago and their ordering system was closed.

7th Continent: What Goes Up Must Come Down has begun shipping wave 1 to its Kickstarter backers. I'm in the US and expect it in about 2 weeks. Not sure if it will be on sale in stores after all of the wave 1 shipping has been fulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:

Under much cajoling and encouragement, I backed 7th continent in last year's Kickstarter (Rookie pledge).

My genre of choice is dungeon crawler / exploration-type games, and my favourite mechanic is probably role selection / hand management. I'm not really a fan of choose-your-own adventure type mechanics, despite having a number of Fighting Fantasy titles when i was a kid. I also enjoy a mild amount of luck, without being overly dependent on dice rolls.

Would this game be for me? I think 7th continent probably packs more hours into its box (at a price) but this may provide more enjoyment. I could probably afford one or the other, but not both (in terms of both finance and time).

Thanks in advance for your insight.

What we really like about this game are the options each player has in progressing their characters. Everyone starts out equal but improves per their own criteria for what they want to do. Each game can be entirely different even though you're playing the same character. The narrative is rich in this game as well. The stories provide a lot of depth to what you are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to everyone for your balanced responses and constructive remarks. It sounds like you're tending more to the City of Kings, which is the way i'm swaying too.

I'm also really keen to hear from anyone who's played both to know how they compare in terms of depth & complexity of strategy, set-up / tear down time, footprint and replay-ability. (looking at you here Josh B!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you are looking for. 7th Continent requires a mass amount of time. You will find really cool memorable things... every few hours of playing. City of Kings doesn't require such a huge time commitment. It starts very slow, and 1/2 the game is pick up and deliver.

Personally if I had to pick one, it would be 7th Continent. Neither however stayed in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both, and they both bring different things.
7th Continent does require a much larger amount of time, and while there is a goal, it may be challenging to get to it as there are so many different places that you can search, and very few tiles indicate you are going in the wrong direction. Character abilities are gained by drawing cards and can change or be lost altogether, so there is a certain amount of chance that you will have the skills you need to get through certain situations, but you can chain together interesting ability combos.

With The City of Kings, the number of tiles you are exploring is known and much smaller in number, and while both games offer abilities, I found this one to do it in a much more manageable way because you aren't collecting cards which contain them. You know in advance what your abilities/skills are and can decide how you want to level them up, depending on your game. There are also a variety of challenges (some scenarios and some longer stories) in The City of Kings, some require you to collect things or build certain things, or kill creatures. Never knowing what your creature's abilities will be in advance (and there are so many abilities) also adds tons of variability each time you play.

I like them both, but am currently enamored with The City of Kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played TCoK yet, would it be more meaningful to compare it to Too Many Bones rather than 7th Continent? My thinking (hope) is that TCoK might provide a more compelling and richer combination of skill tree and character movement/positioning tactics than TMB. Curious what others here might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Solingen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7C won't get a retail version, but probably some retailers will have backed it. If you don't like choose your own adventure mechanics, that game probably is not for you though.

In terms of strategic depth and complexity CoK is heavier. That I can say without having it played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your balanced responses and constructive remarks. It sounds like you're tending more to the City of Kings, which is the way i'm swaying too.

This must be your subjective impression, as reading through all the comments didn't give me this impression at all. Many people actually said they'd prefer 7thC, but that it sounds like you would be happier with TCoK.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, as my copy of TCoK hasn't arrived yet and I only know my stuff from watching playthroughs and a short glance at the rulebook. But I've played 7thC to death last year, so here's my two cents:

I feel it's very wrong to compare 7thC to old Fighting Fantasy books, since this is not a game where you read card A and it tells you to either continue with card B or card C depending on your decision. There are no dice rolls either. Your success depends on your equipment & the luck of the draw, with you deciding how many cards you draw while considering that cards are your life force and you can lose when you run out of cards.

Story decisions in 7thC and TCoK seems to be quite similarish, you get an event and make a choice how to react (e.g. "fight" or "run away") and get a reward for your choice. In 7thC you usually have to use cards to influence the outcome and the outcome could still be negative, in TCoK you get a quest with options, choose one and try to complete the requirements over time. Still, the decision in both games boils down to: Which choice am I able to do better?

The big difference between those two games (besides theme) is that 7thC focuses heavily on open-world exploration & survival with hand management while TCoK focuses very much on character development with worker placement in shorter, goal based missions with a random map layout. TCoK seems to me, from all the playthroughs I've seen, more like a tactical puzzle, get as much done in the limited time you have, plan your moves wisely and stay focused on your goal, one wrong move (or die roll) and you could really screw yourself in some scenarios. 7thC is more of an adventure where you have to react to whatever the world throws at your while exploring, at first you might not be able to do as much, but as you find more useful equipment and equip unique skills you can be a bit more daring & adventurous unraveling more secrets of the continent, using all the experience you gain to build up your skill pool & life force by buying new cards for your deck. They definitely play very differently and I'll surely keep both of them as they tickle two very different itches for me. :)

Maybe watching a few playthroughs of TCoK and 7thC would help you with your decision (just be aware that some things will be heavily spoiled for you, I'd recommend watching the first 15 minutes of a Voracious Goddess playhrough where you can get a look at "tutorial island").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
SilverSam wrote:

I'm also really keen to hear from anyone who's played both to know how they compare in terms of depth & complexity of strategy, set-up / tear down time, footprint and replay-ability. (looking at you here Josh B!)

Again, can’t speak to TCOK, but for 7th Continent, set up and tear down is one of the easiest you will find in a significant game like this due to the built in save system. You can basically pause/save at any moment and the resulting set up and tear down never took me more than five minutes. Footprint scales as well—-you can save to reset the board to drastically reduce the footprint at will. Finally on replayability, I will be a happy man indeed if I make it through and beat all of the missions in 7th Continent (100 hours plus?) and then there is the option to combine multiple missions.... or just wait for the expansions.

I’m looking forward to diving into TCOK today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who commented further especially Milki for your detailed clarification. It does make it harder to decide with 7c"s seemingly open world. The quick setup / teardown and flexible footprint.

The other major-ish consideration is that all free time is currently invested in Gloomhaven, which I LOVE. I've found myself thinking about GH during all downtime, and this distraction has provided a much needed escape recently.

CoK as a game seems much closer to GH than 7C in terms of it being another optimization puzzle so maybe 7C will prove a welcome change. Though I don't play any more, used to love open world video games.

With 7C, I'm on Wave 2 so won't need to decide until Oct whether to open or sell on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:
Thanks to all who commented further especially Milki for your detailed clarification. It does make it harder to decide with 7c"s seemingly open world. The quick setup / teardown and flexible footprint.

The other major-ish consideration is that all free time is currently invested in Gloomhaven, which I LOVE. I've found myself thinking about GH during all downtime, and this distraction has provided a much needed escape recently.

CoK as a game seems much closer to GH than 7C in terms of it being another optimization puzzle so maybe 7C will prove a welcome change. Though I don't play any more, used to love open world video games.

With 7C, I'm on Wave 2 so won't need to decide until Oct whether to open or sell on.

Gloomhaven is a much more apt comparison to TCoK than 7th Continent. TCoK is the resource-gathering cooperative euro to GH's dungeon crawl co-op euro, if that makes any sense.

Both 7C and GH are diceless, and there's not much dice mitigation in TCoK. In the 7th continent the system lets you pass pretty much any obstacle, but that choice might run you out of options.

I really enjoy all 3, for different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceLordOO wrote:

I really enjoy all 3, for different reasons.

Yeah, me too! :)

And considering how much play time one can get out of all three of them, I don't think I'll ever have the time to think about trading/selling them. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.