Hide
5 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Surge of Power - "If you made 8..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pandarr
msg tools
The card Surge of Power states, "If you made 8 or more recruit...". Does this mean that you need 8 or more recruit in your pool for this to trigger or that you have had to have produced 8+ recruit on your turn. I recognize this card contributes its recruit before the card effect is done.

So for instance, I play 6 "SHIELD Agents", I have 6 recruit in my pool, I recruit some things bringing me down to 2 recruit. Now I play Surge of Power. My recruit pool is now 4, but I've produced 8 total this turn. Or do I need to have hit 8 recruit (including itself potentially) at some point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second one. If you made 8 recruit points this turn, you can use its effect. It does not matter if you don't have 8 recruit points anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you play Surge of Power too early? "Made" sounds like it's in the past, so would you have had to have played Surge of Power at some point after you made 8 or more Recruit in order for its special ability to take effect?

In other words, what if I play Surge of Power as my first card, giving me 2 Recruit? At that point, I have not "made 8 or more Recruit," so I know its special effect doesn't trigger at that moment. But if I then play 6 SHIELD Agents, bringing me up to 8 Recruit, does it fire off at that point? Is "Surge of Power" waiting for me to come up with 8 Recruit? The way it's worded, I would say no.

Otherwise, I would have worded it, "If you make 8 or more Recruit during this turn..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
What if you play Surge of Power too early? "Made" sounds like it's in the past, so would you have had to have played Surge of Power at some point after you made 8 or more Recruit in order for its special ability to take effect?

In other words, what if I play Surge of Power as my first card, giving me 2 Recruit? At that point, I have not "made 8 or more Recruit," so I know its special effect doesn't trigger at that moment. But if I then play 6 SHIELD Agents, bringing me up to 8 Recruit, does it fire off at that point? Is "Surge of Power" waiting for me to come up with 8 Recruit? The way it's worded, I would say no.

Otherwise, I would have worded it, "If you make 8 or more Recruit during this turn..."

If play "Surge of Power" and playing that card makes 8 Recruit, you get the Attack. If you've already made 8 Recruit, you get the Attack. If you play "Surge of Power" and you haven't made 8 Recruit yet, you don't get the Attack. If they changed it to "make 8 or more Recruit", then it would go back an trigger past "Surge of Power" cards, which it shouldn't because that's not the way it was designed. To see an improved version of this design, check out the Lady Thor cards from Secret Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, Lady Thor added "Once per turn..." meaning that even if you play it early, you can still activate the Once Per Turn clause later that turn. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls