GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Stuffed Fables» Forums » Variants

Subject: Seasoned Stuffies (100% un-approved) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theresa Porter

Bellingham
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Rahdo's final thoughts he lists the variants that Jerry Hawthorne suggested to him to add difficulty to his game.

If you are finding the game too easy for experienced players you might consider adding one or more of these (officially un-approved) variants from the designer.These variants have not been extensively play tested, so your mileage may vary.

Mr. Hawthorne, if this post causes you any problems, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it.

Seasoned Stuffies
Difficulty increase variants

1) Stuffing shortage - Remove one (or more) of the white dice

2) No Fail Forward - Lose game on WAKEING card

3) Persistant threat - If there are more threat dice than minions when the dice return to the bag. The excess dice remain on the track

4) Tougher bosses - Add one or two additional hits (black stuffing)to bosses

5) Unlucky Stuffie - Remove one or two purple dice

6) Smart minions - When moving - A) Closest Stuffie B) No saved dice C) If equal chance to attack stuffies, attack the Stuffie with the fewest stuffing D) Players decide

7) Disasterous ending - Players create ending if girl awakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be offering a document on Monday called Seasoned Stuffies. It is a set of variants dreamed up by our team and play testers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, looking forward to Monday.

Posted my variant some time ago which is a mix of 1 and 6.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1941135/small-tweaks-ad...

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Gilroy
United States
Byron
Illinois
flag msg tools
www.fourcolordemons.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this be uploaded on BGG or on PHGs website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Porter

Bellingham
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is the link to the Official Seasoned Stuffies variants

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/876

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have people been trying these out? How has it been going? I'm especially interested to know how the Persistent Threat plays out.

It is interesting to see some of the suggestions adopted into a semi-official variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DR MF
msg tools
Hi folks

Just got my hands on a copy, for adults playing, and I want to start off on the right level of challenge. Delighted to see these suggestions and wondering if anyone has tried them out? Can anyone suggest the best combination to create a challenging experience that isn't too frustrating?

We enjoy co-operative games like One Deck Dungeon, Ghost Stories, Burgle Brothers...not necessarily looking for a walkover or a punishing experience, somewhere in between would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months have passed and there's been almost no chatter here about the official variants designed to make the game challenging for adult gamers. My wife and I wouldn't have any problem enjoying the theme despite the fact that it targets kids. But I don't want a coop that is a cake walk for adult gamers.

Can anyone comment on whether the variants make the game challenging enough that it would be enjoyable for adults?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll talk.

I played Stuffed Fables with my hard core group. Here are the variants that we've used:

- play with 2 fewer white dice in the bag (3 for a 4 player game)
- Persistent threat (if there were more black dice than enemies in play, they stay on the track).
- Intelligent Baddies (they prefer to target stuffies without docked dice, and secondly target stuffies with less stuffing).
- Waking is the end.

(It should be noted that none of these variants are difficult to remember and play).

These variants made the game difficult enough for us, though far from the hardest game we play.

We really have to work as a team (we do a LOT of encouraging to get the right dice on the right stuffies, and make sure that no one is without docked dice). In essence, the difficulty forced us to work very effectively with the tools the game gives us.

The game didn't get too tough for us- there were a few instances in which a stuffy collapsed, but we also moved so efficiently through the adventure that we finished well before the girl woke up (although everyone was pretty beat up by the finish).

We'll keep playing the campaign this way.

So- yes, these variants do make the game challenging for adults. In theory, we could make the game harder by taking out purple dice or going all the way down to two white dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.