GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trying to understand monster AI. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Hern
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been trying to cobble together and easy read sheet for monster AI. Is this correct? If you think it's wrong please provide a link to the rule or official statement. I'm pretty sure I got the Focus part right but the Movement part of the rules seems a bit vague.

If no attack is listed on the card treat as if Melee
If no attack is listed on the card, calculate focus and movement as if the monster was going to do a melee attack.

Focus - In which the monster selects a target.
- Traps and players are treated as obstacles (unless jump or fly).
- Imagining the monster had infinite movement find the shortest path that will allow the monster to attack an enemy.
- If two paths are tied, tie breaker is distance ignoring obstacles.
- If two paths are still tied, tie breaker is lower player initiative.
- If no path was found repeat without considering traps as obstacles (prioritize paths with fewer obstacles).
- If no path was found they will not move or attack.

Move - In which the monster actually changes position.
- Move the monster along the focus path as far as possible except:
- Will move extra to lose ranged disadvantage and/or maximize additional targets in the attack, prioritizing losing disadvantage. Don’t step on traps to do this.

- Try to move closer to the focus target until within range.
- Only step on traps if they were in the focus path.
- Do not move if it results in being farther away via a focus path.
- Move extra to fill these ranked priorities (“best possible attack”)
1. Lose ranged disadvantage on the focus player.
2. Maximize number of secondary targets. In case of a tie prioritize players that were “closer” during focus.
3. Lose ranged disadvantage on secondary targets.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback and for linking the quiz, it was very helpful and I've made changes to try to reflect it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already AI cheat sheets in the Files section. Seems pretty correct, albeit simplified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One nuance to add on the Move section is that they will move along a path other than the shortest if it will still bring them closer to a hex they can attack their focus from.

For example, if the situation were the same as in Question 2 from the Gloomhaven Rules Quiz (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/234575/gloomhaven-rules-q...), but the monster had move 2, it would move to either of the hexes below A or B (players choose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Edwards
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a reasonable list of them, yes.

I would suggest taking the quiz cited above, as it might lead you to a few more notations on your list.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Askjær
msg tools
small alteration for clarity:
"If no attack is listed on the card treat as if Melee" Change to: "If no attack is listed on the card treat movement as if Melee"

First line could be interpreted as if no attack then make a melee attack, which would be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In what cases to monsters NOT move (when out of range)? Only if they're completely blocked in?

Like the Living Corpses only have a move of 1, so would they slowly shamble forward, or wait until someone is within two spaces so they can attack? We screwed this up a few times starting out, then we figured they should probably always move, but I want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hern
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can only think of one case where unblocked monsters don't move but there may be others. If there's a monster in the way of the monster you are moving, and it could move through it if it had more movement, it will move as much as it can unless moving puts it farther away on the focus path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[quote]In what cases to monsters NOT move (when out of range)? Only if they're completely blocked in?

Like the Living Corpses only have a move of 1, so would they slowly shamble forward, or wait until someone is within two spaces so they can attack? We screwed this up a few times starting out, then we figured they should probably always move, but I want to make sure. [/quote]

They move if they can find any path to a hex from which they can attack, even if it's longer than the path they can take this turn.

No matter how little their movement, melee monsters will try to move UNLESS:
1) There are no possible hexes from which to attack anyone (all hexes adjacent to heroes are occupied by monsters or obstacles)
2) The path to any attack hex is closed off, and there's no path to it (obstacles or invisible characters or other enemies in the way. Allies in the way are ok, anyone can move through allies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.