GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,024 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Dogs Gone? Doggonnit! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a bit surprised to see the dogs missing when they were heavily previewed as being part of the Bane scenario. But per the latest update, the scenario now utilizes OWL figures in the final version.

Have the dogs been phased out completely?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe people didn't like beating up animals?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
300 some minis in conan maybe we will be luck and get there some how plus Hyinas are a mustso isee dogs in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS Bragg
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they are. I didn't like the idea of fighting dogs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the dogs. I would cause carnage. Targeting one character and doing massive damage. Re-spawn them (cos they got taken out easily) and go again.

"Chopper, sic balls"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete D
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mb
As said, I think they were over powered and they aren't exactly villains, so I can see the reasons for removing them if that is the case.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Is that the only Bane scenario? The update says the Owl figures have guns, so mebbe the scenario needed more ranged attacks. Also, thematically, I dunno if dogs are a good choice for setting bombs under a subway. They'd probably fetch the dynamite instead of planting it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nugent
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe the dogs could have had both Hero and Villain tiles? My reasoning is that while a Villain/Goon might use a guard dog, the GCPD would also have access to police dogs.

Even if they were not used in a scenario, access to them in vs. mode would still be nice. One set of models used for two purposes perhaps?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PoDGO wrote:
As said, I think they were over powered and they aren't exactly villains, so I can see the reasons for removing them if that is the case.



Not necessarily. As someone who has seen them in action a lot, they were cannon fodder with a bark that was worse than their bite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL it's okay to beat up another human, but let's not have any dogs being beaten up. I love how people think. It's just like in the movies. The villain can be redeemed after killing thousands of people, but if he kills a dog, he has to die
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer animals to most humans. That said, it’s a game and I’m fine fighting any number of animals. Separating fiction and reality is important.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
LOL it's okay to beat up another human, but let's not have any dogs being beaten up. I love how people think. It's just like in the movies. The villain can be redeemed after killing thousands of people, but if he kills a dog, he has to die


That’s exactly right and actually pretty common to how most people are culturally brought up. There’s really nothing strange about it.

Not sure about the villains being redeemed part.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
300 some minis in conan maybe we will be luck and get there some how plus Hyinas are a mustso isee dogs in the future.


Harley's hyenas would be pretty awesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
necroloid123 wrote:
LOL it's okay to beat up another human, but let's not have any dogs being beaten up. I love how people think. It's just like in the movies. The villain can be redeemed after killing thousands of people, but if he kills a dog, he has to die


That’s exactly right and actually pretty common to how most people are culturally brought up. There’s really nothing strange about it.

Not sure about the villains being redeemed part.
a society that accepts violence to other people over violence to an animal is the definition of a stramge culture.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fils des Loups
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
No that's a wrong understanding of it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Maybe people didn't like beating up animals?


Then I suppose we should get rid of the bats too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know man, I'm ok with playing a character punching people who are actively choosing to hurt others.

Dogs in general just do what they are trained to do. They'll attack you because their master said to attack you. And maybe it is because their master is good to them, or maybe it is because they are abused and starved like fighting dogs.

But in general, a dog isn't actively choosing to be harmful with the same understanding as a human. So yeah, I feel more comfortable punching a man with an uzi than a dog.

(That being said, I would have been fine with the dogs in game, I'm just explaining why yes, I have less trouble with one than the other.)

(Also, on the subject of being the villain: I'm cool with roleplaying being a bad guy, but punching animals as a good guy is a bit less fun.)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be disappointed if they were really gone because I think the mechanics sounded interesting, but seeing the discussion here I understand why they might have been ditched.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
a society that accepts violence to other people over violence to an animal is the definition of a stramge culture.
I won't argue our culture isn't strange, but I think this makes some sense: as TouchFuzzy indicated, some feel that animals are innocent victims in a conflict--they haven't chosen to do the wrong thing, they likely don't even understand what's going on. People tend to assume that humans are culpable for opposing the good guys. I get where they're coming from. That seems like an upstanding thing to think.

But, then, if that's what motivates the feeling about animals it seems the same reasoning should be extended to people: do the mooks, gang members, body guards, alien foot soldiers, and sometimes police or private security that often get smashed in comics all deliberately choose to do evil, or really understand what's going on well enough to tell which actions are evil? (And if we answer no, as seems plausible, how should we feel about violence towards them?)

Anyhow, all that said, I'm still hoping to see the dogs. They'd add to the variety of available units quite a bit.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sometimes you gotta punch out a dog, it's just part of the job...





I'm still holding out hope we get an Ace..

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theGardener wrote:
do the mooks, gang members, body guards, alien foot soldiers, and sometimes police or private security that often get smashed in comics all deliberately choose to do evil, or really understand what's going on well enough to tell which actions are evil? (And if we answer no, as seems plausible, how should we feel about violence towards them?)


Agreed, but why stop there with some reasonable points when we can dive even further, embrace determinism/indeterminism, and accept that there is no such thing as actual free will? devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pietro Pomella wrote:
Agreed, but why stop there with some reasonable points when we can dive even further, embrace determinism/indeterminism, and accept that there is no such thing as actual free will? devil
Lol. But accepting determinism needn't mean rejecting free will--you can be a compatibilist! Why should a bit of determinism get in the way of blaming folk for things? That would just be inconvenient.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I'm not in favor of hurting animals. Animals are to be respected. That said, I'm also not in favor of physically assaulting people either.

But things are different in games. Those of you who are concerned about the welfare of these plastic pooches,have you never played a tabletop rpg or video game like Skyrim where you fight wolves. bears, etc.? It's not the same as clubbing baby deals irl.

By all means respect animals, but I think it's good if the game presents more than just the thug of the month. Remember, Batman is not killing dogs. You can assume he is subduing them as non-violently as possible.

I would be okay with dogs being optional and scenarios providing ways to not use them in any scenario they might be included in.

If you still think that inclusion of dogs suggests animal cruelty, consider the following three questions.

1. Would you be disappointed to see the bats removed from the Batcave add-on?
2. Are you one of the people who wanted to see Ace the Bat-Hound in this game?
3. Are you one of the people who wanted to see BatCow in the game?

If you answered yes to any of these questions but still feel dogs cross the line, you are a hypocrite.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Look, I'm not in favor of hurting animals. Animals are to be respected. That said, I'm also not in favor of physically assaulting people either.

But things are different in games. Those of you who are concerned about the welfare of these plastic pooches,have you never played a tabletop rpg or video game like Skyrim where you fight wolves. bears, etc.? It's not the same as clubbing baby deals irl.

By all means respect animals, but I think it's good if the game presents more than just the thug of the month. Remember, Batman is not killing dogs. You can assume he is subduing them as non-violently as possible.

I would be okay with dogs being optional and scenarios providing ways to not use them in any scenario they might be included in.

If you still think that inclusion of dogs suggests animal cruelty, consider the following three questions.

1. Would you be disappointed to see the bats removed from the Batcave add-on?
2. Are you one of the people who wanted to see Ace the Bat-Hound in this game?
3. Are you one of the people who wanted to see BatCow in the game?

If you answered yes to any of these questions but still feel dogs cross the line, you are a hypocrite.


Actually you can read my post above and realize that it isn't necessarily hypocritical. Ace, Bat-Cow, the Bats in the cave, they are all on the heroes side. You would not be hitting them as a hero, you would be a villain hitting them.

Also, as I said, I actually wouldn't have minded the dogs staying in, I can just see how people have different opinions of violence versus animals and violence versus people.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'know someone has to play the villain that's hitting them. Eitherway, the animals are in the line of combat. And The villains probably aren't looking to subdue, but rather kill.

Seems a flimsy argument.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.