Justin Weaver
Australia
Altona
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi folks,

Just received my base box for the second kickstarter edition (In Melbourne Australia too - pretty fast!)

However I just noticed while constructing the Action Deck -- that the curse cards and skill cards have a distinctly different tone to their backs -so are instantly recognisable when the deck is in play. I'm suspecting a print error? Or is this normal?

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered - and is it an issue for the game? Before I talk with Serious P.

(Can post a photo if anyone want to see)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake In Oz wrote:
Hi folks,

Just received my base box for the second kickstarter edition (In Melbourne Australia too - pretty fast!)

However I just noticed while constructing the Action Deck -- that the curse cards and skill cards have a distinctly different tone to their backs -so are instantly recognisable when the deck is in play. I'm suspecting a print error? Or is this normal?

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered - and is it an issue for the game? Before I talk with Serious P.

(Can post a photo if anyone want to see)

Please post a photo so we can see what you're talking about... To answer your question, yeah, that would be problematic if you knew when a curse card was coming and when one wasn't. You could obviously use opaque sleeves to deal with the issue, but that shouldn't be necessary if the printing was done correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow I hope this is a one off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weaver
Australia
Altona
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Here is an example. Guess the pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unacceptable.
You have to contact them.
Let's hope it's not endemic because if it is, there is no chance to have this solved.

Wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awful.

If this is problem is endemic, I don't see any way that SP is going to be able to avoid fixing it because this is game-breaking.

As more backers receive their shipments, we'll find out, I suppose.

You definitely should contact SP about this and please let us know what comes of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake In Oz wrote:
Here is an example. Guess the pattern.

Are the curse cards the lighter color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter o
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn man this sucks.

I'm subscribing to this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if this gets fixed, I'm now worried about colour matching between the old and new printing too :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there other Australians who can write about the color-matching of their cards? It's urgent to have some stats...

Let's hope it's a single case which can be easily solved... it seems that the color matching is preserved and hopefully it is only a sheet printed with an empty blue ink cartridge...

Can you post a picture of the whole cards? I would like to check if the yellow logos still match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Even if this gets fixed, I'm now worried about colour matching between the old and new printing too :/

This. 1000 times this.

In 25 years of MtG, have they EVER had problems with colour- and size-matching? And yet it seems to affect board games more often than not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

This. 1000 times this.

In 25 years of MtG, have they EVER had problems with colour- and size-matching? And yet it seems to affect board games more often than not!

Although haven't MtG used the same company since the start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weaver
Australia
Altona
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
The curse cards are darker.
To be fair there is some variation in the normal skill cards. Most are light - and a few are a darker hue. All the curses are darker though. And the main quest curses - eg currently playing the VG curse - it stands out.

Its a case of if you dont look to closely at the cards you can play quite ok -- as the colours arent so different. However if you cant resist paying attention, then the curses can pretty much be picked from the deck all the time.

It may have just been a mixing of cards from two different print runs? I imagine mistakes happen across printing now and then. With a bit of luck its just a rare occurence and they wont be swamped with requests .

I'll be interested in what others fromOz see - as presumably its the same shipment.

JKW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile draw from the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Just found this FAQ on Panda's website about color matching in different runs:

http://pandagm.com/question/how-do-i-ensure-that-my-cards-or...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know zero about game manufacturing, so the following information is simply telling what anyone can read on the website for Panda Game Manufacturing.

They state that their historical defect-free rate is above 99%. They typically produce “Overs,” or extra units, to account for the fact that some components “may be discarded if they do not pass our stringent quality control checks.”

We will know soon enough, when the Wave 1 games are delivered, if there is a widespread problem with color matching on card backs. For now, I’m not going to lose sleep over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake In Oz wrote:
The curse cards are darker.
To be fair there is some variation in the normal skill cards. Most are light - and a few are a darker hue. All the curses are darker though. And the main quest curses - eg currently playing the VG curse - it stands out.

Its a case of if you dont look to closely at the cards you can play quite ok -- as the colours arent so different. However if you cant resist paying attention, then the curses can pretty much be picked from the deck all the time.

It may have just been a mixing of cards from two different print runs? I imagine mistakes happen across printing now and then. With a bit of luck its just a rare occurence and they wont be swamped with requests .

I'll be interested in what others fromOz see - as presumably its the same shipment.

JKW

Hello,

There has already been a discussion concerning the slight difference in shades on some of the cards after the first campaign. It is true that certain Action cards possess a slightly different nuance of blue (and for some Adventure cards a small difference in greens) as you can see on this photo from the first print run: https://i.imgur.com/tv6NNhn.jpg

These slight differences in shades (difficult to avoid in the realm of mass production) do not influence gameplay in any way, as the cards concerned are part of a deck (i.e. you can only see the top card). Therefore, there’s nothing to compare the different shades to, making it impossible to identify individual cards.

Over 12,000 explorers have already been using such cards over the last 8 months and none have made any sign that this has given them even the slightest issue during play. We have no doubts that this will be the same for you and you'll enjoy discovering the Continent just as much as those that came before you!

Bruno

Edit: cards from first print run (outdoor photo on a sunny day). These differences are much less visible indoor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
Based on the photos above I respectfully disagree that they cannot be noticed in the OP’s case.

It may be true when the mismatch is closer but those shades are quite far apart.

Also, the photo you link seems to be a dead link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Image link is not working. Now I'm going to go check my cards!

Edit: a cursory examination (see what I did there) shows no differences in color on my 1st KS copy. Also, with sleeves on and any sort of glare it's going to be real hard to tell.

It does seems that drawing off the bottom or cutting before drawing would address this for people who get more divergent colors. It certainly matters less than it might in competitive games where everyone had a hidden hand, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you have to draw the top card of the deck. You have nothing to compare it to apart from memory, or if you take one of you hand of cards and hold it next to the top card of the deck to check before you draw. But that’s probably cheating really.
A classic BGG storm in a teacup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
I think part of problem is in the contrast between the design and the base shading which can be noticeable from memory if the difference is sufficient. It may be less obvious in actual play, I am not planning to dig through my cards looking for trouble when it arrives later this month.

It’s only an issue when one critical class of cards differs from all the others as it sounds like happened in the OP’s case. I had something like this come up for another game with erratic cuts. All the cards were impacted but I only asked for a few replacements where you could differentiate one set of important cards during the draw. Obviously misaligned cuts are more of a thing than Light shading differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Adler
msg tools
mb
Quote:
These slight differences in shades (difficult to avoid in the realm of mass production) do not influence gameplay in any way, as the cards concerned are part of a deck (i.e. you can only see the top card).

I find this answer a bit disconcerting.

I understand that you cannot see the cards below the top card to compare, but you do realize, of course, that at the time that the other cards were removed (ie. the last time you took cards), revealing the miscolored card-back, you will immediately notice it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyway, what is done is done.
It is clearly endemic which means there is no way back.

Is it a serious matter? No.
Is it annoying? Yes.
Is it an indisputable default? Yes.
Is the answer satisfactory? clearly no. It's avoiding the problem because it's a technical issue alright, even though it is not a completely blocking issue when playing.

A receivable answer would have been "we screwed up, we are sorry, we can't make it right but it won't be a blocking problem when you play. Hope you are alright with it".

I hate avoidance. It tends to wash away all the trust I had so far.

But everything else seems to be fine so, I guess it's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Adler
msg tools
mb
Agreed - I'm not going to get worked up about it, especially not before more people have had a chance to see it, and I have seen mine. I trust that if it's a serious issue, SP will take care of it.

On a side note, I wonder if the OP has any expansions. Does the curse card color match the expansions, or do the expansions match the base set? Or is there a third shade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lonevvolf wrote:
Agreed - I'm not going to get worked up about it, especially not before more people have had a chance to see it, and I have seen mine. I trust that if it's a serious issue, SP will take care of it.

On a side note, I wonder if the OP has any expansions. Does the curse card color match the expansions, or do the expansions match the base set? Or is there a third shade?

He won’t have any expansion, as these weren’t shipped yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.