GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,871 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Time of Crisis» Forums » General

Subject: Decimation ...recovery? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious.
I haven't seen anyone really mention (or complain) about this;
but is it possible to have all your pieces - Governors/Armies - obliterated from the board?

And if so, how easy is it for this to occur ... and are you pretty much done if it does; or can you recover from it?

Would the decimated one find themselves sitting as an observer for the next couple of hours or so.

I've played 2 player, where this seems <very> unlikely to occur ... but was thinking re a 3/4 player match (where, ahem, 'vindictive' players may go out of their way to grind down a single player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few times, but in 4-player game, if players A+B decided to put all their efforts into destroying player C, then player D is laughing all the way to an easy victory.

In a 3-player game, if players A+B decided to put all their efforts into destroying player C, then there's probably something going on outside the game that needs addressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellynut wrote:
In a 3-player game, if players A+B decided to put all their efforts into destroying player C, then there's probably something going on outside the game that needs addressing.

I agree with you regarding 4 player games, but by ganging up on one player in a 3 player game, you just increased your chances of winning from 33% to 50%. This is a problem for most games played by 3 players. Games specifically designed for 3 players try to avoid this through special design (e.g. Churchill)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting question. I've never seen it happen but have only played 4 player games. In a 3 player the two who set out to destroy the third would still have to cope with barbarian and rival emperor invasions. The player being targeted would not be prevented from coming back on and would have an advantage in that his deposed governors would be instantly available so they'd just have to make sure that had sufficient blue point cards to kick the other governors out.

As an exercise it's probably worth trying out to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
When I saw your post I thought there was a rule in the game I had missed that had players "decimate" (ie, weaken) one of their armies in certain situations.

Historically, decimation;
A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten. Each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing. The remaining soldiers were often given rations of barley instead of wheat (the latter being the standard soldier's diet) for a few days, and required to camp outside the fortified security of the camp.[3]

As the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in a group sentenced to decimation were potentially liable for execution, regardless of individual degrees of fault, rank, or distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
When I saw your post I thought there was a rule in the game I had missed that had players "decimate" (ie, weaken) one of their armies in certain situations.

Historically, decimation;
A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten. Each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing. The remaining soldiers were often given rations of barley instead of wheat (the latter being the standard soldier's diet) for a few days, and required to camp outside the fortified security of the camp.[3]

As the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in a group sentenced to decimation were potentially liable for execution, regardless of individual degrees of fault, rank, or distinction.

Yikes ... that's harsh. Maybe we'll see it in the upcoming expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.