GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Castell» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placement of special action token when moving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam P.
msg tools
mb
If I choose to move for my special action, do I place my special action token in the region I move from, or the region I move into? The former felt more natural to me, but placing your token is the last thing you do when you put on a local performance (i.e. after the action), so I wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
When using a special action token for an extra MOVE action, the token is placed in the space for the region you moved to (not from).

EDIT: See below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
When using a special action token for an extra MOVE action, the token is placed in the space for the region you moved to (not from).

Good to know because our two games we played you placed it where you came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE! Per Aaron, the intent of the rule is to place the token in the region you moved *from*. So my earlier post was incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam P.
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help! We played it correctly, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook probably needs to be tweaked when Renegade gets a chance, then. I have a hard time reading this to mean anything but placing the token in the space you are ending up in:

Quote:
After taking the special action, you must place 1 of your available special action tokens onto the local performance area of the game board. Be sure to put it in the space that matches your pawn’s current region.

After taking the action, your current region would be where you ended up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiran Wagle
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
UPDATE! Per Aaron, the intent of the rule is to place the token in the region you moved *from*. So my earlier post was incorrect.

Interesting, because the words in the rulebook are clear. You must have a token available, choose one of the options, and then

"After taking the special action, you must place 1 of your available special action tokens onto the local performance area of the game board. Be sure to put it in the space that matches your pawn’s current region."

After taking the move action, your pawn is in the region you moved TO. This is pretty simple. Did the same person who designed the insert edit the rulebook?

~ Kiran <entropy@prismnet.com>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KWagle wrote:
After taking the move action, your pawn is in the region you moved TO. This is pretty simple. Did the same person who designed the insert edit the rulebook?

This was a simple miscommunication between me (the game's editor) and Aaron (the game's designer) as we were creating the rulebook. We're looking to clear this up in future printings. Ultimately, it has little to no effect on gameplay, as long as everyone at the table is playing the rule the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiran Wagle
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
KWagle wrote:

This was a simple miscommunication between me (the game's editor) and Aaron (the game's designer) as we were creating the rulebook. We're looking to clear this up in future printings. Ultimately, it has little to no effect on gameplay, as long as everyone at the table is playing the rule the same way.

Why does this kind of thing (and the confusion about balance, and the thing about shuffling tokens that are the same on both sides) have to wait for a second printing? Was the game rushed out before people could get the details right?

What about all the people who bought the first printing and didn't spend hours on BGG trying to figure out the ambiguities? They don't get a new printed rulebook. Many of them don't know they can download new rules. Then you end up with arguments between people who read the first edition paper rules and people who found the revised rules.

Not having a clear and accurate printed rulebook might seem like a trivial issue to you, but it might not be so trivial to people trying to learn and play the game.

~ Kiran <entropy@prismnet.com>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.