GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,976 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

PitchCar» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Beginning of the PitchCar Circuit in the Cubicles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report is part of a continuing series where I describe the games being played as part of our Game Lunch Fridays during the lunch break of a business office. Our lunch break is only thirty minutes, so our game choices are limited to games that can be taught and played in a short time.

For our Game Lunch Friday this week, I brought in Pitchcar. We had not played any dexterity games yet, so I wanted to bring in something entirely new. I was a little worried at first as some of the office players seemed less enthused about dexterity games.

To avoid any delays in playing the game at lunch, I set of the racetrack earlier in the morning so the game was laid out ready to play. The game has a strong table presence and though no one lingered at the table that morning, many people saw the game (and they knew I played games at lunch on Fridays).

All my regular players (Vince, Bill, Pat, and Corietha) showed up to play. Craig, who usually watches from the neighboring cubicle walked in as I was explaining the game. We asked if he wanted to play and he happily agreed. I explained the rules in about 30 seconds, and just as we were about to start, another Vince from a neighboring cubicle joined the game. Seven players! The largest group I’ve hosted so far.
I gave everyone an opportunity the practice a few flicks to get the feel of the game. We decided to race a three-lap race. After a few test flicks, we reset the starting line and started the game.

Pat – Orange Car
Craig – Green Car
Me – Brown Car
Bill – Pink Car
Vince – Red Car
Corietha – Tan Car
Vince (other) – Blue Car

Lap 1
Pat got off to a great start and pull ahead of everyone. He later had a wreck but was able to hold onto his lead. Vince and Coreitha also wrecked once in the first lap, and poor Bill wrecked twice. The groans and shouts at wrecks and great shots drew the attention of many in the office. Before I knew it, there was a crowd of five more spectators filling the cubicle watching the race, laughing and cheering along with us.

Pat – Orange Car – 1st Place
Craig – Green Car – 2nd Place
Me – Brown Car – 3rd Place
Bill – Pink Car – Last Place
Vince – Red – 4th Place
Corietha – Tan Car – 5th Place
Vince (other) – Blue Car – 6th Place

Lap 2
Pat maintained his lead in the race and pulled further ahead. Craig and Coreitha suffered wrecks in lap two, and we noticed that one of the tracks did not seamlessly line up on the connector and it created a dangerous curve where the wrecks were common. Vince hit the corner and flipped over, though he did not fly off the track like most of the wrecks during the game so far.

Craig – Green Car – 5th Place
Me – Brown Car – 3rd Place
Bill – Pink Car –4th Place
Vince – Red – 2nd Place
Corietha – Tan Car – Last Place
Vince (other) – Blue Car – 6th Place

Lap 3 – Final Lap
Pat pulled so far ahead that he started lapping other racers. This made it dangerous for him because the track became crowded again for him – he had clear sailing most of the race because no one was in front of him to block him. I ended up wrecking twice in a row in the final lap, but some overly conservative and poor flicks allowed me to stay in the race. I was able to sneak around Vince and finish ahead of him. Bill almost did the same, but bumped Vince’s car instead, forcing Vince across the finish line ahead of Bill. Which was not bad considering that Bill had wrecked earlier in the lap. The other Vince wrecked twice on the final lap, and it looked like Coreitha and other Vince were trying to compete for last place. Coreitha squeaked out ahead of other Vince with a final great flick.

Final Standings
Craig – Green Car – 5th Place
Me – Brown Car –2nd Place
Bill – Pink Car –4th Place
Vince – Red – 3rd Place
Corietha – Tan Car – 6th Place
Vince (other) – Blue Car – Last Place

This was a VERY successful game that the entire office enjoyed. I fully expect this game to return repeatedly to the office. Several people looked up the game on Amazon immediately to buy, but they were shocked at the cost of the game. As non-hobbyist, the price of the game was unrealistic – they were probably expecting a mass market price. I did explain to them that this is one of my oldest games (one of the first I purchased when I first entered the hobby over a decade ago) and that the game held up very well, despite being played by my kids very frequently. This is one of the rare boardgames I own where the box is starting to fall apart from age and use. And the game pieces still look like new. It is VERY well made.

A great game and a great game session!

For my other session reports on our Game Lunch Fridays at the Office, see my Game Lunch Fridays at the Office GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha that’s one of my favorite reactions from non-hobbyists... “That game costs HOW much?” Me thinking: “Oh... and that’s a cheaper one...”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was rooting for other Vince as I read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Florence
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked in an office, we used the conference room for a 6-week after-work Pitchcar circuit, too. Some of my fondest gaming memories for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.