GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,197 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey all, hopefully someone can help me out here.

My laptop came pre-installed with Office 2016 (trial version, not activated). But I already have a paid for an activated version of Office 2007, so I installed that on there too, not wanting to pay again just to get a newer version that doesn't really give me any real benefit.

If I double-click an Excel file, it opens in Excel 2016 (but most features are disabled because it's not activated).

I can start Excel 2007, browse to my file, open, edit, etc. with no problems.

But what I really want to do is double-click my Excel files and have them open in 2007 not 2016, rather than open 2007 and browse for the file I want.

I have r-clicked an Excel file, selected open with, ticked "Always use this app to open .xlsx files" and selected the 2007 exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE). But somehow it still opens with 2016.

It's really annoying.

Anyone know how to solve this? I haven't tried uninstalling Office 2016 yet, but I shouldn't have to really, it seems like a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help needed - how to open Excel 2007 by default when opening Excel files in Windows 10
col_w wrote:
... not wanting to pay again just to get a newer version that doesn't really give me any real benefit.

Sure there's a benefit. You won't have this problem anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help needed - how to open Excel 2007 by default when opening Excel files in Windows 10
I have discovered that having both versions of Office (2016 and any older version) will cause conflicts like this. I suspect that this is because both versions share some folders.

In the past it didn't seem to cause any problems to leave 2 different versions of Office, but with 2016 installed with any older version of Office, I have encountered so many problems that I have personally concluded you can only have one version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best answer: If you really don't plan on using new excel, do a complete uninstall of both versions and just put the version you want on the machine. Be sure to reboot between the uninstall and reinstall.

Next best answer, Start here and pray a lot:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-and-use-dif...

Long answer: I have vague memories of this issue coming up back when I used to get paid to do tech support for a living. My company essentially wouldn't touch this issue because of the difficulty involved in making it work. Similarly, my IT department refuses to deal with it as well. We have a proprietary macro written for Excel 2007 that doesn't work on newer versions. Any time we need to use it, we have to run it on a specific computer that is dedicated to running "old Excel." Any kind of dual/Excel setup they've tried breaks the macro.

As Pone has pointed out, every installation of Office assumes that is the only version of Office on the computer. They end up trying to share DLL files, registry entries, and other resources that create confusion between the executables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't try (don't have Windows 10), but this should explain it:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windo...

Oh, and I would use one of the described in-built ways to do it, not use the "recommended tool"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
davypi wrote:

Thanks - this led me to this (which although it says is for 2013 also applies to 2016). Basically Windows update was not configured to look for updates other than Windows. After changing that, downloading the latest 2007 updates and rebooting, it let me set 2007 as the default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
davypi wrote:

Thanks - this led me to this (which although it says is for 2013 also applies to 2016). Basically Windows update was not configured to look for updates other than Windows. After changing that, downloading the latest 2007 updates and rebooting, it let me set 2007 as the default.

Glad you found a solution!

For me, it would be worth it just to be able to have two spreadsheets open in different monitors and different Excel instances, so I can look at both, and not have the stupid intertwined UNDO queue you end up with when you open 2 or more spreadsheets in the same instance. I use Excel all day at work, and I dream of the day I can get off of 2010 and onto at least 2013 (it has the same issue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lgoldberg wrote:
For me, it would be worth it just to be able to have two spreadsheets open in different monitors and different Excel instances, so I can look at both, and not have the stupid intertwined UNDO queue you end up with when you open 2 or more spreadsheets in the same instance. I use Excel all day at work, and I dream of the day I can get off of 2010 and onto at least 2013 (it has the same issue).

Ah, this one I did know. To make it open new instances by default, see this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3165211/how-to-forc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Ah, this one I did know. To make it open new instances by default, see this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3165211/how-to-forc...

Corporate machine. No admin privileges. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.