GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Innovation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing above a 10??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I just was in a game where my opponent "won" by using printing press to attempt to draw a card 2 above a 9, therefore winning by attempting to draw over a 10. I get that this is probably technically legal, but it still feels really rules-lawyery and stupid to me. As far as I can tell, the "draw over a 10" rule is there to act as a timer on the game and as an automatic end to the game when the 10 pile runs out, not as some clever way to auto end the game. Although I concede if weird wonky ways to end a game bother me I should probably just avoid playing Innovation lol. Still one of my fave games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played lots of Innovation and this is one of the more rare ways to win if you play with at least Echoes expansion. Most of the time we wish we could get to Age 10, since all those special achievements get easily completed post Age 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
This behavior is not rules-lawyery at all. If you're behind in achievements, you need to start swinging for the fences, i.e., shooting for level 9 and 10 cards that can give you an auto-win in the right circumstances or that can allow you to draw higher than 10.

And if you're ahead on the board in achievements, you need to be stealing or burying high-level cards that opponents acquire so that you can stay in control on the path to victory — as much as anyone can stay in control in ,Innovation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Eisenstein
United States
Lilburn
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, your opponent didn't win the game by drawing something over a 10 (if he did, you played the rule wrong). All that did was end the game.

When the game ended, the person with the most points won. If your opponent had more points, that is a perfectly valid (and un-lawyery) way to win any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough! Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes - this is a totally valid and very intended way to end the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, that's nothing. Just wait until someone ends a game by splaying an 11-card pile with Measurement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.