GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Raiders of the North Sea: Fields of Fame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Different Townsfolk Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, the Townsfolk card setup is:

Deal 5 cards from the Townsfolk Draw Pile to each player. Before beginning, each player must choose 3 of the 5 cards to keep in their hand. All other cards are placed facedown at the bottom of the Townsfolk Draw Pile.

In each expansion, there is a new recommendation:

When playing with 4 or more players, a new card draft is recommended. However, this may also be used with less players. To use the new draft follow these steps:
- Deal 5 cards facedown to each player.
- Each player looks at their hand of cards and chooses one card to hire for free (no silver required). For now, players should place this card facedown in front of them.
- Of their remaining 4 cards, all players pass 1 card to the player on their left and 1 card to their right.
- All players must now turn their previously hired crew card faceup.
- All players should now have a hand of 4 cards (2 from their starting hand and 1 from each neighbour).

My group was confused. The expansion says it's a "recommendation," but the recommendation alters the initial setup of Townsfolk such that the player starts with two additional cards than the base game setup, one pre-hired and one additional in hand. So is this a rule replacement when using the expansion, or just an optional variant?

* Does the base game's starting hand of 3 Townsfolk apply to the expansions?
* Is the free hire and starting hand of 4 cards for 4+ players a rule replacement when using the expansion or an optional variant (rule remains start with 3)?
* Is the free hire and starting hand of 4 cards for <4 players a rule replacement when using the expansion or an optional variant (rule remains start with 3)?

FWIW, we went ahead and used the recommended pre-hire and 4-card starting hand for our 3-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s just a new optional setup variant. It can replace the old ‘draw 5, keep 3’ rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve read that some players want to start raiding sooner (aka, they want less game time spent preparing for the 1st raid). With more players, the prep time is proportionately longer.

If you feel like raiding sooner, use the new method.
If you like preparing for the 1st raid, stick with the old way.

I like both options, but recommend using the new one if playing with quests because the extra cards are needed to complete them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.