GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a horror themed game that plays well with 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, my husband and I just enjoyed a game session consisting of Lost Expedition, then Oregon, then 3 rounds of Hey That's My Fish, and finishing with Holmes: Mycroft and Sherlock. (We were more in the mood for a series of simple games rather than a Twilight Struggle type afternoon!) He asked me at some point if there were 'any horror games'. So I thought I'd ask here.

What horror-themed game would you recommend, given that we play at 2 player, prefer medium weight games, and tend to prefer 'elegant' mechanics to being bogged down with details.

The closest thing we've got to horror would be: Ghostel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game, and various iterations of Pandemic. In other words, none! However, we are big horror film fans.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Edited to add -- we LOVE co-op games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferox.

Two players, easy to learn yet lots of room for clever play, a really cool back-and-forth style of gameplay that feeds the fight-to-the-death theme, and a loving homage to horror films, right down to the VHS-style box. Plus, the guys who make it are upstanding humans who went the extra mile for me in terms of customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are interested in a Lovecraft-themed coop with good narration/story, Arkham Horror the Card Game is great. The mechanics are good too but not too complicated, focusing on luck-mitigation. Caveat is that it is a LCG so it comes with that baggage. You would need a core set for 2 players (and ideally 2 core sets total to get more player cards) for an introductory 3-scenario campaign. Each new 8-scenario campaign requires a deluxe expansion and 6 mythos packs and will run you about 100$ per campaign when not on sale. But the advantage is that each campaign provides you with a new story, and the scenarios are quite varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out until October....but since you're horror fans...

Monster Slaughter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you like Pandemic there is a Cthulhu version with very similar mechanics.

Horror games tend to rely heavily on theme and immersion and the gameplay is not typically as smooth or elegant as, say, Concordia. Also, they are almost always co-op as you join forces against <insert evil here>.

However, here are a few options that are not overly fiddly:

Ghost Stories - devilishly difficult to beat but the gameplay itself is quite simple, with simple setup as well.

Mansions of Madness - very simple actually but dice-based so beware if you don't like games with some luck. You play 'investigators' solving a mystery in a house or town, racing against the clock before the old ones rise and devour everything. It's scenario-based and the scenarios are run by an app.

If you like killing zombies, Zombicide: Black Plague is a good and simple miniatures-based game. Again, dice. Or... Run, Fight or Die could work. If you played with more than 2 I would recommend Dead of Winter, but its so-so with 2.

Arkham Horror - the card game. Great game but slightly more complex than the other two. Plus its an LCG so your first purchase will give you enough to try several investigators and have 3 scenarios. After that you can decide if you want to continue. So it gets expensive over time if you decide to keep with it.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, I should have mentioned that I am not interested in LCG games. Sorry!

I'm quite interested in Ghost Stories, have wondered about it for a while now. That's going on the shortlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keenon Lindsey
United States
Nacogdoches
Texas
flag msg tools
Not after Midnight.
badge
Not after Midnight.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Ferox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster!

[/troll]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror since I don‘t like the downtime with more than 2 players.
Elder Sign dito.

For both games there are several expansions available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would also suggest Arkham Horror - LCG. The story was very good and generated the proper atmosphere within the game.
For me there was one downside (why I sold it in the end). A major part is about deck construction before you are ready to play.
You gain experience in the campaign and can change cards to better versions (and different ones, coming in the expansions).
If you can like this you should at least try the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Ghost Stories. Curiously, whilst dastardly difficult, I always found it less so when playing with two players. It's a lovely-looking game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your definition of horror includes Hammer movies of the 60s and 70s then you’ll probably like A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil for the ultimate in horror

+1 to A touch of Evil too!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil is a wonderful game but hard to come by and definitely more on the "bogged down with details" side. I do adore it, though.

Maybe a little more manageable (and better with two) are Psycho Raiders and FREAKFACE!!! by Nate Hayden, the same designer. I haven't had a chance to get the latter on the table yet, but Psycho Raiders is a blast -- three campers in the 1970s trying to escape from a van full of heavily-armed cannibals on Halloween night. The production is deliberately lo-fi but man, the mood is on point. It's deliberately unbalanced in favor of the Raiders, which gives it a great horror movie feel. If you're playing the campers, your objective is to get just one of your three off the far edge of the map alive. You can try to fight back but you're outnumbered and initially very much unarmed. It takes stealth, cunning, and guts to win it. (Playing as the Raiders is still a blast and a very different experience -- it's like controlling a pack of wolves as they run down prey.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Cave Evil is a wonderful game but hard to come by and definitely more on the "bogged down with details" side. I do adore it, though.

Maybe a little more manageable (and better with two) are Psycho Raiders and FREAKFACE!!! by Nate Hayden, the same designer. I haven't had a chance to get the latter on the table yet, but Psycho Raiders is a blast -- three campers in the 1970s trying to escape from a van full of heavily-armed cannibals on Halloween night. The production is deliberately lo-fi but man, the mood is on point. It's deliberately unbalanced in favor of the Raiders, which gives it a great horror movie feel. If you're playing the campers, your objective is to get just one of your three off the far edge of the map alive. You can try to fight back but you're outnumbered and initially very much unarmed. It takes stealth, cunning, and guts to win it. (Playing as the Raiders is still a blast and a very different experience -- it's like controlling a pack of wolves as they run down prey.)

Holy crap, Psycho Raiders looks amazing! Freakface!!! I can't do, as freakshows genuinely give me the willies. 1970s teens being hunted by cannibal yokels, though. Oh yes. I think the production on Psycho Raiders is genius. It really does look like some sort of contraband, underground filth that you're hiding under your mattress lest your parents find out you've got it. I'm going to have to search out this game. I would have never in a million years run across this game if I hadn't asked. It's all Meeple Circus this and Gaia Project that in the places I normally look.

Where do I even find it? Is it still available to buy??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willshaw67 wrote:
If your definition of horror includes Hammer movies of the 60s and 70s then you’ll probably like A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game.

OMG My husband lives for Hammer Horror. I watched a couple of videos about this game, it's a must have!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:

Holy crap, Psycho Raiders looks amazing! Freakface!!! I can't do, as freakshows genuinely give me the willies. 1970s teens being hunted by cannibal yokels, though. Oh yes. I think the production on Psycho Raiders is genius. It really does look like some sort of contraband, underground filth that you're hiding under your mattress lest your parents find out you've got it. I'm going to have to search out this game. I would have never in a million years run across this game if I hadn't asked. It's all Meeple Circus this and Gaia Project that in the places I normally look.

Where do I even find it? Is it still available to buy??

https://store.cave-evil.com/

Looks like they've still got copies! Nate is also a pretty active BGGer and a heck of a guy to boot:

nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.