GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

James Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Let's say that Picardy is contested between France and Germany. Then British infantry which begin the turn in Brest move in to Picardy, are the British infantry forced to do one round of combat with the German units or can they choose not to engage like say French units moving in to the contested area would have been able to ?

Also let's begin with the same scenario but this time British infantry are being transported from London to Picardy, are they forced to engage ? If they aren't forced to engage then can the German artillery still fire on them because they are doing an amphibious landing (if the original answer is that the British infantry aren't forced to engage) ? Also can the British do a naval bombardment but still not have their infantry engage the Germans (assuming again that the original answer is that the British infantry aren't forced to engage) ?

Lastly, let's keep the original scenario; Picardy being contested by France and Germany. And for some reason, France have infantry in London and also they have a battleship and transport in sea zone 9 and they transport their infantry in to contested Picardy but they do not want to engage the Germans in combat this turn. Can they do a naval bombardment even though they don't want to fight the Germans on land ? Also let's say the French don't want to engage the Germans, can the German artillery still fire on the French infantry that did an amphibious landing ?

I would greatly appreciate some clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolLol wrote:
Let's say that Picardy is contested between France and Germany. Then British infantry which begin the turn in Brest move in to Picardy, are the British infantry forced to do one round of combat with the German units or can they choose not to engage like say French units moving in to the contested area would have been able to ?

Attacking would be optional. Attacking is only mandatory when you move units into a territory that is either hostile or neutral (not contested).

LolLol wrote:
Also let's begin with the same scenario but this time British infantry are being transported from London to Picardy, are they forced to engage ?

No. That would be an amphibious reinforcement.

LolLol wrote:
If they aren't forced to engage then can the German artillery still fire on them because they are doing an amphibious landing (if the original answer is that the British infantry aren't forced to engage) ?

No. Artillery may only make pre-emptive strikes against units making an amphibious assault (moving into a hostile or neutral territory).

LolLol wrote:
Also can the British do a naval bombardment but still not have their infantry engage the Germans (assuming again that the original answer is that the British infantry aren't forced to engage) ?

No. Battleships may bombard only in support of an amphibious assault (moving into a hostile or neutral territory).

LolLol wrote:
Lastly, let's keep the original scenario; Picardy being contested by France and Germany. And for some reason, France have infantry in London and also they have a battleship and transport in sea zone 9 and they transport their infantry in to contested Picardy but they do not want to engage the Germans in combat this turn. Can they do a naval bombardment even though they don't want to fight the Germans on land ? Also let's say the French don't want to engage the Germans, can the German artillery still fire on the French infantry that did an amphibious landing ?

No. See above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be misremembering, as I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought there was a clear statement in the rules or example given which contradicts the above. If a territory has no units of a given nation, for that nation, it cannot be contested.

So as I say, I *might* be wrong but I'm mostly certain I'm not. It's something to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such rule. Territories become contested based on occupation by both sides, not a particular nation.

Perhaps you are thinking about the rule that restricts land units that begin your turn in contested territories to only being moved to territories that at the beginning of your turn were either controlled by your power or contained units belonging to your power (or remaining at sea, if moved by transport)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.