GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Non-Contact Contacts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is an idea I've fiddled with before and I wanted to bring it up again to see how people feel about it.

The 'Verse is a big place and there's room for more "job generators," but there are already quite a few actual JOBS, so what if there were a way to Deal with contacts (or something like contacts) without actually having Jobs be part of the equation?

Here's an old post on the concept:

One idea that HarleighDhai and I experimented with a while back was a whole new type of Contacts who wouldn't have Jobs but would pay you for collected resources. It would work like this:

1) Go to a specific type of Sector
2) Make a skill test to collect resources
3) Deliver them to the Collector Contact to get paid

So, let's say there's a crazy dude on Fury who will pay for Reaver Scalps. You go to Reaver Space, make a Fight Test to determine if you can collect any Reaver Scalps, then deliver them to Fury to get paid.

I don't know if there's anything in that idea that can be applied to Salvage Ops, but I feel like the ideas are related, at least somewhat.

Beyond that, I think there are three different ways to implement some sort of Salvage Ops system, and none are perfect:

1) Use existing cards: Ralph suggests an interesting way to leverage existing cards, and another idea would be to someone access "discards". I don't know that I love the idea, though, because no matter how you slice it, it makes the Nav decks more complicated to use.

2) Tables. I've seen a few folks toy with this approach, and it has the advantage of not needing new cards. On the other hand, it requires tables, which could be clunky and could be somewhat counter to the way most of the game works.

3) New cards. This could be either a new Job Type added to existing contact decks, or an entirely new deck.

With new cards, the simpler approach is probably a new type of Job. I could imagine this working as some sort of crossbreed of Piracy Jobs and the Collector Contacts HD and I worked on. Consider, say, Badger is looking for wrecks that might contain info about his competitors. So you can go to any Sector within the Georgia System (or maybe any non-Planetary Sector?) and take a Work Action to "Scan" (a Tech roll of a certain level -- maybe you get a bonus for a Hacking Rig, which adds to Sash's value). The Scan result determines the basics of what you find, or if you fail to find anything.

Presumably, you can re-try, but maybe there's a small cost (like spending 1 Fuel while you're roaming the Sector looking for ships).

Someone mentioned the idea of multiple players being able to compete for the same Salvage Op. That could be incorporated here: let's say the negative effect of a Botch is that it's public knowledge now, so if you don't get it on the first try, another player can try to steal the job.

On one hand, I don't love that you're getting Solid at the same time you're doing the Job. On the other, if there's a chance you could lose it, and if you have to pay your Crew before you collect coin on the Goods, I can see the balance.

If it were done as a separate deck... Well, I'm starting to lose focus, but one idea would be to make a deck of "Rumors" structured somewhat similarly to the "They've All Got Stories" passenger deck. Heck, you could have a ton of stuff in there, not just Salvage Ops. There could be stand-alone Crime jobs, and such, but rather than working for a contact, you're collecting rumors in various seedy bars...

And a follow up post:

It would depend on how complex you wanted Collectors to be, and what the "story" behind them was. For example, at one point, we were discussing the following:

1) There would be six different resources that could be collected. For each skill, there would be one resource that takes up cargo space on your ship and one that doesn't.

Each would be gathered in a different type of space. For example:

Recruits (gathered by Talk, take up space, gathered on non-Supply Border planets)
Rumors (gathered by Talk, no space, Supply Planets)
Reaver Scalps (Fight / no space / Reaver space)
Wild Beasts (Fight / space / non-Supply Rim planets?)
Space Routes (Tech / no space / Maybe sectors not in a system?)
Scavenged Goods (Tech / space / non-Supply Alliance Planets?)

2) To gather, you go to an appropriate Sector, use a Work action to make a roll to determine how many you collect.

Maybe you put a marker on it - no one can collect there again until after the end of your next turn (to prevent a player from sitting on one location over and over and over).

3) There would have been at least 6 collectors, each of whom wants 2 resources. Ideas were:

Wealthy, bored lady on Bellerophon - Rumors and Animals (for delicious recipes)
Alliance Blue Sun military leader - Reaver Scalps and Recruits
Info Broker - Space Routes and Rumors
Pirate Lord - Space Routes and Recruits
Crazy Big Game Hunter - Reaver Scalps and Animals

Or something like that.

Anyway, rather than (or maybe in addition to) money, each will pay some sort of one-time "favor" if you deliver them a certain amount of stuff.

For example, maybe the lady on Bellerophon, if you bring her a total of 5 Resources will allow you a one-time bonus where you automatically roll a 6 on a Talk test or something.

That's about as far as we got, because that's where the idea ran into a lot of trouble.

On one hand, it seemed like a fun idea. On the other, it was getting increasingly difficult to integrate into the "race" aspect of the game in any balanced way.

I had even gotten as far as putting together cards for some similar ideas:

More in a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I posted this thread because a Reaver-related thread that I'm going to post in a bit got me thinking about it, but I thought one interesting (and easy to implement) idea might be two different collectors - one for each Alert Token type. On the other hand, then clearing Alert tokens becomes a positive thing rather than just relief that you made it...

What do folks think about the idea of a collector type dynamic like any of the ideas presented in this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a Job "on the side" which is not tied to a particular Contact.

My group had a go at "Wreck Diving" as a Story, but we thought it needed polishing to bring it to the table as an extra to any Story.

What we have so far can be found here (Diving Into The Wreck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Wreck Diving, Treasure Hunting, and a few other things are in the same vein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the cards option, call the deck "Odd Jobs", or "Weak Tea"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if it were a deck more mechanically like the Bounty deck than a Job/Contact deck?

They're not jobs for a particular Contact. You don't get Solid with anyone. They don't hold an Active Job slot. They're up for grabs to everyone. First one to successfully Work it, just like Bounties, takes the Job. There doesn't need to be a particular planet to attach it to.

I like to play that ANY deck that reshuffles draws new Bounty cards, but you could set this up that a new set of three "Odd Job" cards is drawn when you re-shuffle the Border deck, or maybe the Rim deck. Or both. I'd personally be re-shuffling both this AND the Bounty deck when any deck is reshuffled, but that's me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll give it some thought... because I don't have enough projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'll give it some thought... because I don't have enough projects.

Yeah, I heard you've been slacking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I posted this thread because a Reaver-related thread that I'm going to post in a bit got me thinking about it, but I thought one interesting (and easy to implement) idea might be two different collectors - one for each Alert Token type. On the other hand, then clearing Alert tokens becomes a positive thing rather than just relief that you made it...

What do folks think about the idea of a collector type dynamic like any of the ideas presented in this thread?

I'm loving that idea. Kinda like experience points. The more experience you get, the more you can use/spend/cash in for shiny goodness.

I've thought the same thing for collecting jobs from contacts, or different types of jobs you work (crime, transport,etc). All would be neat additions to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
If you use the cards option, call the deck "Odd Jobs", or "Weak Tea"

"This is a milk run." -Mal.

Don't forget the milk. It does a body good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Cole
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the things I am planning to make are random job cards to put in the shopping decks.

So, for instance, instead of buying something at the Space Bazaar you might find a family looking to get to Meridian. When you get there you get the cash. No other aspects to the card.

I was thinking there could be a whole variety of these from shipping to smuggling to "get me there in X turns" etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.