GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Retail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks right up my alley! Raising over $8.5 million, this is one of the most popular games I've seen on Kickstarter! Can't wait to try it out... when does it hit retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not going to go to retail according to the designers on the game on KickStarter. I know there will be other people which will give the links to the same topic that everyone has ask the same question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, really? I'm surprised a game this popular isn't able to make it to retail. I thought it was the kickstarter games that don't do well that miss out on the retail market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for no retail release is due to the cost of production being so high that the only way to make a profit is to cut out the distributor and retailer.

Basically the seller makes about 40% of MSRP (after the cuts taken by distributor and retailer), which would mean for a game with this many cards which need to be ordered meticulously the retail price would need to be about double to triple what people would want to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Wow, really? I'm surprised a game this popular isn't able to make it to retail. I thought it was the kickstarter games that don't do well that miss out on the retail market.

Not necessarily - The 7th Continent is not attractive to distributors, as a card based game with this many unique cards would have too high a retail price point for the box size, and could be hard to sell to retailers and for retailers to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the other thread that was mentioned:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1940549/will-game-ever-be-s...

Instead of deleting this thread, I'll just leave it as another way users might find the link to the existing discussion on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'll just wait until gamers want to sell their copies after they have finished the puzzles... or I just pass on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Looks like I'll just wait until gamers want to sell their copies after they have finished the puzzles... or I just pass on this one.

I plan to sell mine after playing. But at my current rate that will be in 3-4 years time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:

There will be a limited number sold directly from the publisher’s website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockCartel wrote:
randyd42 wrote:

I plan to sell mine after playing. But at my current rate that will be in 3-4 years time

Well then, get playing' chop chop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:

Wait, someone maturely accepting that not everything always has to be given to them when they want it the way they want it? What is the internet coming to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
randyd42 wrote:

Wait, someone maturely accepting that not everything always has to be given to them when they want it the way they want it? What is the internet coming to?

I know right!? Where are the calculations as to how cheap the game must be as it's "just cards"? And comparisons to Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
randyd42 wrote:

Not necessarily - The 7th Continent is not attractive to distributors, as a card based game with this many unique cards would have too high a retail price point for the box size, and could be hard to sell to retailers and for retailers to sell.

I find that strange
All cards are of the same size 8x8cm
and if i compare it with GLoomhaven who has more cards also lots of different size and lots of other parts but it is cheaper and u can buy it at retail.

I think the reason they won't sell it at retail is that they now can ask a good price for it and have more control over the quality i think not sure about that.
And not selling it at retail makes it more interesting for collectors.
One of the reasons i think it sold so good at the kickstart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaand there it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Aaaand there it is!

Mmm yes there it is then? Ow, u want me to continue huh oke.

I did back the 7th continent also still waiting for it to arrive very soon i hope.
I also backed Too Many Bones Undertow who will come out later this year but also in their shop.

and i was to late for Gloomhaven 2nd print KS but was able to order it on one of the store's lucky for a normal price 119,95 euro.

So yes i wonder why it is so Insane Hard as some say to put the 7th continent in Retail stores?
And as i did say components are almost non-only cards a few mini's and all the cards are the same size so very very easy to produce i should think.

So again i think they like to keep it exclusive but don't tell me it is to hard or to expensive to produce for retail i don't believe that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FreakGIB wrote:

So again i think they like to keep it exclusive but don't tell me it is to hard or to expensive to produce for retail i don't believe that.

That makes two of us. 1 reason (profit), too many excuses ("too expensive for retail", "stars not aligned", "possible alien invasion if it goes on retail", "we care for you" etc )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could sell it themselves like Mechs vs Minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ookami86 wrote:

Mechs vs Minions had a billion dollar company behind it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAGamer wrote:
ookami86 wrote:

Complete with warehouses, online retail capability, customer service staff, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
PAGamer wrote:
ookami86 wrote:

Complete with warehouses, online retail capability, customer service staff, etc.

But then, for example, Chip Theory games who make Too Many Bones is also a small company but they also sell their games in their own shop so still, it could be doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess Serious Pulp would not turn down the money if an interested party made them a reasonable offer. Whoever think they can pull it off should contact them directly and make them a compelling case for granting them the retail rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Important to note: any Retail version would probably lack around 100 cards and some extra stuff, which were kickstarter exclusively

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chip Theory is in the business of creating and sustaining long-term gaming lines. Serious Poulp considers 7th Continent complete, sees the market for new copies as mostly saturated, and wants to move on to new IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Important to note: any Retail version would probably lack around 100 cards and some extra stuff, which were kickstarter exclusively

What does "kickstarter exclusivity" even mean for those specific components in a game that was never even going to be made available in retail and only ever available through that kickstarter campaign? Isn't the entire game a kickstarter exclusive? I don't understand labeling just those components as kickstarter exclusives if they don't plan on selling the game in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did that on the first ks where they had the intention to go retail.
But as far as I know they didn’t found anyone willing to do this, so later decided to do a second ks where they said it won‘t come to retail and thus didn’t mark anything special there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.