GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dead Throne» Forums » General

Subject: Female characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanja Meier
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

On my todays kickstarter tour, I 've seen this new project, felt attracted and started reading the description. Everything sounded great, I really like the open world concept, the box inlay is fantastic, ... but then, at the very end of the description came the characters, and my opinion changed from "geat game that I want to bake" to "ehhhmm, sorry? No!"

There are 7 characters, 4 masculine and 3 female ... until this point, no problem.

I will do a short resume of the characters starting with the masculine:

Rhilik, an elite warrior, strong, brave and handy with weapons.
Aaron, a man with muscles bigger than his head, successor from a family of iron welders, and his weapons can never break.
Falewin, a respected man from a rich winery family who knows how to manipulate others.
Saladar, a prince that has turned into a dark and powerful mage.

Yeahhh, these are cool characters!

So, let's go on with the female characters:

Ereveth, a merchant with great reputation and abilities for trading.
Elena, has passed through two tragedies passing time alone, frightened, tired and hungry, but quite lucky because both time she was rescued. At least she has learned about stealth, theft and acrobatics.
Taniel, has been hold captive and being punished by goblins, but acquired incredible cooking skills. She escaped by putting all the goblins on fire, and became a chef with excellent reputation.

What?!? ... Evereth is .., well, let's say: OK, but quite boring. While reading the description of Elena and Taniel, I felt like reading the awkward fantasy of some teenage boys.

As conclusion: I don't feel any attraction to the female characters and don't see myself emerging into their history and enjoying the gameplay with them. So, for me, I'll skip this project.

Nevertheless, I wish sharkeegames good luck with their project. I can see the effort they put into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt just the opposite!

I thought that Elena and Taniel had the best backstories, and that the male ones were the traditional boring ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanja Meier
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, then lets just change the backstories and everybody will be happy. I like your idea!

Here we go:

Elena
Born in Eirwen in 2378, she was raised on a farm. At the age of five her lands were attacked by goblins leaving her the sole survivor. She spent the next 10 years alone and wandering in the mountains. She grew strong and brave and handy with a weapon. In 2400 she was noticed by a militia. They recruited her and trained her with more weapons until an elite warrior emerged.

Aaron
A merchant. Born in 2385 in Perun. He gathered a great reputation by sailing and trading with the unknown peoples in the East. He brought back artefacts never before seen by the people of Veles. His reputation spread and his abilities as a merchant allow him to sell items (not scrolls or traps) at their buy price.

Taniel
Born in Eirwen in 2365 Taniel grew around metal. Her ancestors were the Iron Wielders of the Madoc Twins war. Secrets have been handed down through the generation that most have forgotten. She’s a smithy by trade and any weapon she uses can never break.

Rhilik
Born in Lirennor in 2389 near the castle. He was left by his mother at the age of three. Frightened and alone he stumbled upon a group of thieves who raised him. His adopted father trained him in stealth and theft. When he was 16 a raid took place on his home. His father was arrested and never seen again. He managed to escape but was yet again alone. Tired and hungry he snuck into a traveling circus for some food but was spotted before he collapsed of exhaustion. As luck would have it he found another family. His skills were put to good use in acrobatics.

Falewin
Born into a rich family in 2386 on the outskirts of Heilwen he learned to carry himself in a respectable manner. At a young age his father installed him in the family's business at their winery. He started as a barman serving drinks to visitors from all over. He learned how to manipulate people into giving him a significant tip and at the age of 23 he bought his own bar. A ladies' man and a night owl he does well on his feet. He still uses his tip collecting skills when completing quests and is well respected around Lirennor.

Saladar
Saladar's early history is unknown. He was raised by goblins in a cave never to see the light of day. They used him as a cook and punished him for any lack of flavour. The caves never provided much in the way of ingredients and so he learned to cook with whatever he could find. Rats, toads, creatures of the night. One day he stumbled upon a way to escape. He ignited the cave in a ball of flames killing all the goblins. Away from the cave he found a whole new world of ingredients and recipes. His imagination ran wild and he soon began to sell food on the street. Eventually he found a job as a chef giving that restaurant a reputation that spread across Veles.

For instance, I think a pan or a rolling pin could be a thematic starting item for him.

Ereveth
She was born a princess. Sister to the late queen, her place was in the castle. But desire for power led to the fall of Lirennor, the abandonment of the castle and the death of the Queen and the Throne. Born in 2281 in the Castle of Lirennor she was loved by all. But unknown to all she harbored resentment for her sister, the Queen, jealousy of her sister's husband and belittlement as the young princess. At the age of 20 she began her journey in secret of discovering the ways of the dark mages defeated over 200 years before. Bit by bit she learned the power of the old scrolls, the ways and thoughts of the old mages and The Darkness that was once vanquished returns into her heart. When Agrimor the dragon threatened the lands of Lirennor the Queen took it upon herself to defeat it. Armed and powerful there was no question she would bring victory. But as she dined with her family one last time, her sister's plans were coming true. Poisoned and weak the Queen set off to meet her fate. Ereveth tried seizing power, but luckily for the Kingdom she was oblivious to the protection spell Gwiladith installed onto the throne after the Battle of the Iron Gates. Banished from the castle the throne remained dead. The Region Stones scattered and the Kingdom silent. Evereth spent the next 100 years collecting the Region Stones and gaining control over them. The castle and the throne were not hers, but the Regions had fallen to her dark ways.

These changes are quick, and can be implemented without any problem.
As soon as these changes appear on the campaign page and are made officially by an update to all backers, I'll also bake the game! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Oless
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Would have to agree. Strong female game characters are always more interesting than dime a dozen male characters we've all seen before, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Morgado
msg tools
True, it shows little to no effort by the game writer in make female characters not look like bad fantasy genre cliche.

Also, the OP wrote far better backgrounds than the game designer. This sure shows lack of attention and care by part of game writers because with a minimum effort she was able to deliver good histories.

Congrats, she need to be hired instead actual writers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
While I won't back the project because it's following the recent trend of creating large boxes full of figurines and material, and therefore, selling for a high price, I strongly support letting creators make the stories they feel like inventing without the pressure of conforming to specific moral standards in the representation of their characters (within fair boundaries, of course). I am fine with strong female characters, weak female characters, rough looking ones, sexy looking ones, intelligent females and dumb ones, I am fine with an all-female cast and an all-male one as well as a mix, but I really dislike pressure to only represent "X" type of people in a specific way.

A cook is fine, like this character, Taniel. I like cooks and non-cooks alike. Really. No shame in being a cook. Male of female. Maybe my own mother is a cook... No need for cook-shaming :cry:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
FreyjaES wrote:
As soon as these changes appear on the campaign page and are made officially by an update to all backers, I'll also bake the game! :laugh:

I see that you like cooks too! So we agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanja Meier
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
I strongly support letting creators make the stories they feel like inventing without the pressure of conforming to specific moral standards in the representation of their characters (within fair boundaries, of course).

I am absolutely fine with inventing, but honestly, in this case it's 100% cliche.

The same creators who say that a 5 year old farmer boy grows strong alone in the mountains, are telling that a 16 year old girl, after been raised and trained by thieves, wasn't able to get some food and almost dies.

Yes, it's fantasy, but that doesn't mean that common sense doesn't apply at all. cool

And Taniel who has been living in a cave and never seen the daylight, once free, doesn't feel any other motivation than the task she has been forced to all the years before?

You don't need to be a psychologist to see that the creators are having here a lot of "imagination".

And we'll, regarding which character is strong or weak, it's not only about a "moral" decision to fit into 21st century standards, but also about the posible customers.

Game creators do not chose diversity in male and female characters because of moral standards ... they do it because of economics. If you don't offer attractive characters for both, man and women, but only for man, you're losing half of your potential customers! And your customers are living today, with today's equality, and not in an alternative cliche world.

And last but not least, all this together leads to the impression that, o, the creators are still very young and for that they don't know better, or they are not active and motivated enough to revise and improve old texts.
.... Both options make me doubt about a successful project ending ... By the way, have you seen that the corporation is "limited". devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.