GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,127 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Lobotomy» Forums » General

Subject: Lobotomy - A Modular Foamcore Insert with token organizers and miniature trays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martinus Curiosus
msg tools
mb
Sorry for this extra long photo story post. It has been my first foamcore project ever and I suppose I naturally got carried away a bit...

It all started somewhat like 'no way you would waste spend a whole weekend on making a foamcore board game insert!'
Challenge accepted.

And a whole week later...

Tadah! Well, not much to see yet

What's inside:

plus a few auxiliary pieces...

Let's take a closer look: two token organizers, one for those that you need in every play, one for the rest.

But wait, aren't the tokens difficult to remove from these? You are so right, that why...

...the top layers are removable.

The deluxe Lobotomy foamcore token organizers. Everyone should have one (just kidding).

...optimized for quick cheating possibility - a simple 180 degree turn is all it takes.

My newest warhammer 40K army. Miniatures from all add-ons on the left tray...

...that is actually made from the Lobotomy token punch board glued on a piece of foamcore.

Wouldn't do this with a 500$ display painted miniature but everything else is hold in place reasonable well.

Close up on a troop tray.

The closures to the left and right are actually removeable such that the trays can be put on the table in zero time and miniatures easily removed when needed.

No glue, no magnets. Just foamcore magic.

Card dealers (which consumed the most time):

Special features: 0) easy front side card removal 1) holes in the back and front for easy removal of a whole stack 2) 2mm rubber moss in the front to discorage cards a little from sliding out on their own account 3) 300g/m^2 black paper cut and glued on the top and sides to cover ugly grey foamcore. (seriously, don't do this if you value your time!)

Time to stuff the box...

miniatures...

...plus a sturdy auxiliary frame

...plus more miniatures and the 'From the deep' expansion boards

...plus an onimious L-shaped auxiliary frame

...plus character cards

...plus monster cards

...plus small board game tiles from the base game, everything hold nicely in place by the L-shaped.

Token organizers on top and another frame to secure the second floor miniature tray.

Stacked card dealers and just another auxiliary frame

...that goes on top

...both turned 90 degree,lifted and put into the box.

Add a 5cmx5cmx3mm piece of black felt such that...

you can safely insert the not-sleeved character cards (I just dislike the haptic of sleeved cards).

Now another piece of foamcore to secure everything and

finally, a lid to secure the cards.

In three plastic bags: blue/red wood tokens, optional miniature base plastic rings and dices.

Rulebooks on top.

Base game box closes with lid but the 'From the Deep' expansion box does not... why so?

It now holds the 9 base game board pieces and the base game special miniature tray.

Advantage of dark colours on game boxes: Even if it doesn't close with lid, it still looks reasonable well.

Wait, what about the pizza box that came with the add-ons?

Now holding the bosses together with a fine collection of horrors yet to be seen within the asylum. (Box upgraded with black paper )

But wait, what about the once-in-a-life-time brilliant, no-cost-cutting original Lobotomy board game insert?

Bye, bye Beautiful!

Of course, I all planed this well in advance and didn't make a single failure in the process given my lifetime experience as a professional board game insert designer.
No seriously, if I can do this, you can, too. Patience is adviced at times, however.

So, in hindsight, has it been worth it? I don't know. Will I do it again?
I don't know. Is it awesome? That's up to you to decide.

What I know is that is was kind of fun (- one week lifetime but + 20 geekness cool) and that glueing is actually the most hideous and dangerous part of the whole process. Yes, glueing! As a single droplet of unintentional overspilled ugly glue on beautiful black foamcore paper can easily ruin hours of work. That said, what glue do you people use? I had Uhu renature multi-usage glue and Boesner PVA-Lim but are not exactely satisfied with either of them. And a tip: I found a rubber brush can help tremendeously to distribute glue more evenly.

Last words: the whole thing may look very complicated but un- and reboxing is actually quite fast and facilliates setup tremendeously. That has been the main goal here, not to create an insert holding everthing in the core box. As such, it can only be judged to be an epic fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lobotomy - A Modular Foamcore Insert Organizer for tokens and miniatures
I've got three words to you: a-ma-zing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martinus Curiosus
msg tools
mb
modest Thanks. In reverse: love your avatar. It has such a calming ASMR touch to it. Could watch for hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Beaton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Nice work. Like to see modular foam core inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Armstrong
Canada
flag msg tools
I was frantically searching for a link to where i can order one but then saw that you made it yourself! Props on your amazing work- but would you ever consider commissioning them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martinus Curiosus
msg tools
mb
Oh, hi. Sorry to say, but I already own a regular job. Thus, no chance unless you're rich and want to drop an insane amount of money. However, if you consider to do one yourself, I guess I could be sweet talked to reach out for a ruler and take some measurements .

To my own surprise, I found that working with foamcore is half as difficult as one may think. This has been my first projet with it and god knows I have not done much craftsmanship in my life before. The card dealers will take effort and time but everything else was in hindsight more or less easy to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.