GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Old School Tactical: Volume 2 – West Front 1944-45» Forums » General

Subject: Future Volumes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Taylor
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will future volumes include the British, French or any other nationalities?
Also will you be going to the maps types used in the pocket battles. I like the different ways you can arrange them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Walker and company plans to hit all of the bases with the series. Next is the Pacific followed by the British IIRC.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the hardboard map.

Plus a series with different map types is not a good idea imv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:
I prefer the hardboard map.

Plus a series with different map types is not a good idea imv

Doesn’t matter since each is self contained. Upgrades shouldn’t be limited by previous design choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It matters to me - not a show stopper but an error imv
I know I am not alone in this opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:

You miss the point...

You said "Plus a series with different map types is not a good idea imv"

And I simply pointed out that each volume stands alone. It's not like ASL or Combat Commander where people combine the contents from each game into one.

We all have our preferences. For many the big boards are a massive inconvenience, as nice as they are (and they are VERY nice). Especially when the scenario uses only a small segment of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul Sem
Mexico
Queretaro
Queretaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:

It matters to me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Define standalone.

The Pocket Battles require the West Front Core game in order to play and as such is not standalone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:
Define standalone.

The Pocket Battles require the West Front Core game in order to play and as such is not standalone

What made you imagine I thought Pocket Battles was standalone?

Standalone (vs an expansion) is pretty common terminology.

OST V1 (and its expansions) STANDALONE from OST V2 (and its expansions) which will STANDALONE from OST V3.4.5.6 (and their expansions).

The Pocket Battles expansion was sold as a "more portable" way to play some OST V2 on the go, hence the inclusion of the smaller maps. There is nothing in PB you need to play base game OST V2... you do need to borrow components from the base game to play PB, but that's fine. The goal of that expansion required smaller maps... otherwise it would have been just another expansion like Stalingrad was for V1 (which was not standalone either).

The OP APPEARS to be asking about future VOLUMES (like we have V1 and V2 now... so future standalone games (not expansions).
Quote:

will future volumes include the British, French or any other nationalities?
Also will you be going to the maps types used in the pocket battles. I like the different ways you can arrange them.

And then the question is hoping that the future standalone games will adopt the modular maps similar to the pocket battles EXPANSION.

Easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On balance, I would have preferred smaller (but still big) hard backed maps like the ones that Academy Games do for their Conflict of Heroes series, with a good level of inter-connectivity.

They are certainly more convenient than stretching over a big board and have the advantage that if the scenario needs it, a big board can be created. It’s not too late to change, but I doubt there is enough concern from the user base to make that happen and the HUGE boards as the box blurb describes them has become part of the brand signature of OST.

For future modules I would like to see British / French 1940 and Soviet 1943 (Kursk) as early expansions of the system.

Would dearly like to see Stalingrad re-printed sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is a dependency of newer elements requiring older games in order to play but not the other way round.
That is quite typical in WW2 Tactical games including largely if not completely ASL. I am unaware of ASL modules which came up and you had to wait for later games in the series in order to play the scenarios (I am no ASL expert but even if some isolated examples the general point still stands)

Norman makes a good point but there is and was nothing preventing Flying Pigs producing smaller mounted boards.
In addition it can be enjoyable making up your own scenarios but different board types make that less satisfying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you put a full board out, there is a real urge to want to play over all of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mounted Boards all the way for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Then again, the larger board allows for a more free flowing map design. Going with smaller boards force the designer to make them geomorphic, which in turn makes them feel less "natural". Sure the larger board can be a problem on a small table, but it also solves other problems by allowing the designer to make a map of a larger area, let's say Arnhem or Ste Mere Eglise. I personally think it is a fresh, original approach to the tactical genre.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.