GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,567 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Guilford» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategic Movement bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
On the Guilford map which terrains qualify for strategic movement? and where can you see this in the rules / player aid? Thanks for any help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at footnote "1" on the terrain effects chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Todd, I have and this is the source of my confusion.

Footnote "1" says "Road bonus of Strategic movement allows double movement if all hexsides crossed are either road or track".

This is a footnote specific to the data for using roads in the terrain chart above and qualifies how strategic movement applies when using roads.

What it doesn't say anywhere is that strategic movement bonus does not apply to any other terrain. A short sentence to that effect would have been very useful and clear.

For example: If I had a bunch of apples and said that one is nice to eat if washed, it doesn't mean the rest of them are inedible.

I guess I am looking into it to much ... the rules are generally good but lack clarity for me on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, keep in mind that when you're walking on a road, it supercedes the movement cost of other terrain. So, you can use strategic movement along a road even if it goes through woods or clear or a straight. I really don't see what is so confusing about this otherwise. You just move twice as far so long as you're not entering or exiting an enemy zone of control and all movement is along a road. Hope I'm not missing the point again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Todd, I completely understand what your saying and you are being very clear. Possibly I am not shake

I understand it is clear when using roads or tracks but if you are in a forest, or clear open field and do not enter an enemy ZOC are you clear to double your movement points under strategic movement rules as well?

In the base rules it just says strategic movement doubles your movement as long as you don't enter an enemy ZOC, and to see specific exclusive rulebooks for exceptions in specific battles. There is no mention that this doesn't apply to all other terrains, there is just a clarification about using roads.

I have been playing the way you clearly see it and have explained it to me. I just don't see anything in the exclusive Guilford rules or player aid to say it doesn't apply to other terrains as long as you obey the ZOC rule.

Just put it down to me being pedantic! But it bugs me when explaining rules to someone and I can't see justification for what I am explaining in the written rules / player aid for the game.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
What it doesn't say anywhere is that strategic movement bonus does not apply to any other terrain. A short sentence to that effect would have been very useful and clear.

FWIW: I think that game rules generally tell you what you can do. Don't assume that you can do other things which the rules don't explicitly mention.

It would be impossible for them to tell you all the things which you can not do. It's far more reasonable and practical for rules to tell you what you can do, and for players to understand that they don't get to do all kinds of other unmentioned stuff.

E.g. Monopoly rules say that you collect $200 when you pass Go. They don't explicitly say that you do not collect $200 when you land on Baltic Avenue, or that you do not collect $200 when an opponent is sent to jail, or any other such unmentioned situation.

Similarly if a game says that strategic movement is allowed when moving along roads, I wouldn't suppose that strategic movement is allowed in other unmentioned situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:

I understand it is clear when using roads or tracks but if you are in a forest, or clear open field and do not enter an enemy ZOC are you clear to double your movement points under strategic movement rules as well?

Do you mean forest or clear without a road? That's a no. But you can use it in those terrains if you're following a road.

I second what Russ says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.