GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

No Retreat! Italian Front: 1943-45» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attrition - whats the story morning glory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Allies in Apennines and its got messy, so time for some attrition whilst we replan the next big operation.

So it seems definitive that at the start of the Phasing Players Combat Phase he decides (no major offensive going on) that its either Battle or Attrition, but then things start to go in different directions. In one reality there are no counterblow or target markers to place and its just number of units next to the enemy, forts and as much shock as you got (or a twist of Blitz if you are Jerry) but in the other reality its place your target markers and your counterblows then add up your units affected thereby before you sugar with shock and go for it.

Which method is definitive?
One thing that strikes me is the Attrition CRT high end is around 25 (sorry in the office and don't have it in front of me) and its low is 1 to 6. Given that I'm on turn 9 the higher end is pretty much always there on the first method and indeed 1 to 6 seems pretty low if its every unit in contact with the enemy. Plus I quite like the concept of the Target Markers indicating parts of the line where you are "pushing" and the science of the counterblow having to be adjacent in indicating where the enemy pushes back in the attrition concept.

So being dazed and confused I started with the second method then went to the first method then back to the second. Yes I know its my game and I can play it how I like but I'd like to know if there is a "right" way to handle this, even if I chose to ignore it.

your thoughts?

Method A - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27238161#27238161
Method B - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26108126#26108126
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
BTW - great game. My father fought in Italy, loved the country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems quite clear to me that Carl's latest reply is the correct one since he mentions there that the rules were changed late in the design process and they forgot to change the earlier version of rules sections 27.4.3-4. So, in short, you don't place Target or Counterblow markers for Attrition Combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes I found that thread after I had found the other version thread (because I was confused to start with), however, having played both versions and preferring the target marker version I think I was hoping Carl would change his mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_BrentM wrote:
Yes I found that thread after I had found the other version thread (because I was confused to start with), however, having played both versions and preferring the target marker version I think I was hoping Carl would change his mind

Well nothing prevents you from using the “target marker” version, it’s your game now. In retrospect I should have added it as an extra very optional rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Its that inner conflict between "as I like it" v. "as you intended it" as I play solo. Will it change in the next output of the Living Rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_BrentM wrote:
Its that inner conflict between "as I like it" v. "as you intended it" as I play solo. Will it change in the next output of the Living Rules?

Nope, will not change. laugh

I'll check in my design notes to remember exactly why I changed it in the middle of the playtest process; there were a couple of "gimmicky" moves that could make it unplayable if I remember well. Plus I wanted to simplify the Attrition system, too.

In fact I must have the original attrition rules somewhere. If I find them I'll post the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cheers for that Carl, I think I see what you mean on the "Gimmick" having played on a couple of turns since my post. (i've only played the campaign game twice since i got the game), the way things have gone so far I can see a third outing after this.
I've done "Taranto (Bari) Tango" (this did not go well for the Allies), "Sicily Shuffle", where we are now, still not great. So think "Roman Rush" will be in order, all with Monty in charge and Smiler grinning at him across the table (picked the leaders on the first game so decided to keep them for subsequent attempts). Was never a great fan of Monty but found the chap rather useful in this scrap.

Really like the leaders, down for the next games in the series, hoping the "Plans" will add to the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_BrentM wrote:

Really like the leaders, down for the next games in the series, hoping the "Plans" will add to the fun.

Thanks!

You'll have Leaders all right in No Retreat! Polish & French Fronts. They will be very important. Heck, you can even end up with "Hitler in Command". devil

I think you'll find the "Plans" cards very fun to use. They are only for the "French Front" part, but I do have something extra for the Polish Front too: the Alternate Event Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.